who does your favorite drum solo?

beastdrummagirl

hey yall, yes, we all know you have a favorite drum solo. The problem is, we don't know who plays it or what song it is in!! SO..... PLEASE, INFORM US WITH YOUR DRUM KNOWLEDGE!!!!

My favorites are John Bonham's Moby Dick and Gene Krupa's Sing, Sing, Sing.

Please reply!! I don't want to reply on my own freakin thread!!!!!:)

When it comes to drum solos, I like 'em short and sweet. I'm actually a bigger fan of drum breaks that keep the momentum of the song going. Examples:

-Ringo Starr's solo directly before "The End" from Abbey Road

-Gregory "G.C." Coleman on "Amen Brother" by the Winstons

-Jim Gordon and King Erisson on "Apache" by Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band

And of course. . .Clyde Stubblefield's break on "Funky Drummer" by James Brown

When it comes to drum solos, I like 'em short and sweet. I'm actually a bigger fan of drum breaks that keep the momentum of the song going.

Amen to that. Rhythmic breakdowns are my favorite way to showcase the drums instead of spotlight drum solos, because they are more of a part of the song rather than an appendage...I like the way the Allman brothers used that to great effect

Bill Ward with his middle drum-solo in Sweet Leaf, nice and accurate.

Hate to be a spoilsport but I find drum solos a bit boring, especially those designed to let the drummer play all those chops s/he can't find a spot for in the songlist.

After a bunch of flurries between snare, toms and cymbals (with many hand/foot triplets and thunderous RF-LF-LH-RH combos) they start a crush roll on the snare ... that's DYNAMICS, you see LOL. At that point you just know they will build up the crush roll until it starts to unravel, at which point they go increasingly haywire leading to their their Grand Finale. The result? A bunch of people thinking, "Wow! Good drummer!" and another bunch of people thinking, "Hurry up and get back to the music".

Still, it's not all gratuitous choppery. I like Gene Krupa in Sing Sing Sing.

Carl Palmer's synth drum solo in Toccata was interesting in a somewhat ugly way.

Cozy Powell's 1812 overture solo was fun live because he was a showman and had a spectacular light show on his side.

Rob Hirst's solo in Power and the Passion fitted the song and was cute in that 80s *clang!* *whack!* *boing* way - sort of like Dixieland's idiot son who lives under the stairwell.

Against all reason, I find the drum duel between Dave Weckl, Vinnie Collaiuta and Steve Gadd on YouTube entertaining. It's like going to the circus and seeing the persussive equivalent of guys balancing on trapezes and tightropes, doing amazing rolls, flips and tumbles, building human pyramids and all the rest. All they needed was Animal in there to play the clown <|8O}

I enjoyed some of Osibisa's drum solos - percussion raves where all the band would pick up a percussion instrument, although sometimes they went on a bit too for my tastes.

I occasionally did drum solos at home in the 70s (complete with bad crush roll :) and they were fun to play, but I wouldn't want to be listening to it - or be my neighbours at that time.

I agree with Drifter and Larry that brief drum spots in the context of a song are much more interesting. Most drummers love those.

Last edited:
My favourite solos are 46+2 and lateralus (danny carey) , the live version of take 5 ( Joe Morello) , Billy cobham's solos (in general) and tiempo de festival (dave weckl)

Some of these I have never heard of!!! Can yall get the vids on you tube?!!?

There are so many great players past and present that can really play but the one that really influenced me the most personally is from Carl Palmer during the Brain Salad Surgery tour circa 1974.

Back