Papa's got the same ol' bag

Abe, I feel the same as you. We are about the same age and we have been down similar routes when it comes to playing.
The past few years have really been good to me as far as obtaining personal playing goals.BR once said when asked why he didn't play a larger kit that he hadn't fully learned how to play the drums that he already had.
It was a joke but I think that Buddy was being honest behind the humor.

Yea, Bob I get what BR means.. its always the journey and never the destination. Never be a master, always be a student and thats what keeps the fire burning..

Just like you, the last few years for me have been rewarding from a personal playing point of view too.. I guess thats what inspired me to make this thread : )

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm pretty much forced into that mindset, and before anyone says "awe Andy, you're not that shit" - I know I'm not, but I'm hugely flawed + limited, that's a fact, not an opinion. It's my own fault. I have a sprinkling of talent, but my time off the instrument, lack of any formal education structure, life distraction, sheer laziness, early success that wasn't earned, etc, equates to the situation I'm in now.

I'm both happy & sad about that. happy that I can play, happy that others want me to play (hell, I'm even getting paid sessions without soliciting them - WTF!), but sad that the totality of Andy is summed up by missed opportunity & poor decisions. I can never be one of the best drummers out there, I can't even become my best, but I can nail a groove & make musical choices that occasionally give me the ultimate playing high. I'll settle for that : And being one of the best damn drum builders / designers on the planet - ha!!!

ANdy you are so self effacing I bet you hardly have a face left! ..and yes, could you turn up the black in the last coupla lines of copy on your post?

Now I watch drummers on you tube and worry what I can't do and how poor technically I am compared with them. Thank goodness for the wisdom this forum that puts it in some perspective and helps me realise I am not alone in the world.

Were all in this flamadiddle together..

There's always somebody higher up the ladder, and there's always somebody lower on the ladder. I'm just glad I'm on the ladder somewhere lol.

Wisdom of the ages, right here. (............ and the ladder takes you to another bigger, shinier ladder, which then takes you an elevator that goes to the 13th floor.. )

'Tis a mystery, this drumset thang. Time and space n' Rhythms n'accents. modulations, meters , innerclocks, the whole poly-ness of it all. It takes your whole life, godammit! ...
At 59, I hope to get at least another decade .... maybe two, to figure it out some more. Having waay too much fun with the electronics to call it quits just yet.​

At 59, I hope to get at least another decade .... maybe two, to figure it out some more. Having waay too much fun with the electronics to call it quits just yet.​

Greetings Harry! Here's to many more adventures on a drum throne ( and on a bike saddle, I hope. )

Anybody else got anything to say?

Not really Abe, you summed it up beautifully, minus the semi-pro / pro part.

I keep hoping, one day... Yeah, one day...

I'd say you should post more often my ol' friend ;)

I like analyzing drum stuff. I need to know how stuff works, why it works. It's the German in me I think. I look at drums like a science.

I like the feeling of drum stuff. I need to know how it affects me, why it does it. It's the lover in me I think. I look at drums like a love relationship.

Not really Abe, you summed it up beautifully, minus the semi-pro / pro part.I keep hoping, one day... Yeah, one day...I'd say you should post more often my ol' friend ;)
I like the feeling of drum stuff. I need to know how it affects me, why it does it. It's the lover in me I think. I look at drums like a love relationship.

Well said, Henri. Amazing, isnt it. Is just some wood, metal and plastics and here we are getting all romantic and philosophical about it! : )

Drop the social stuff.
Some of my favourite musical moments have been from staying in on a Friday or Saturday night and just playing.
I'm going more and more into hermit mode, and the only social stuff is school and band practice + some beers with mates when I have time.

ANdy you are so self effacing I bet you hardly have a face left! ..and yes, could you turn up the black in the last coupla lines of copy on your post?

Not self effacing Abe - truth. Increasingly these days (mostly via the drum business) I'm working with a huge range of players, & you pretty quickly get to realise where you are on Larry's ladder. That's all good though. It allows me to select where I can excel (& hence, enjoy myself), & avoid areas where I know I'll struggle. Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge, but I'm smart enough to know the difference between me pushing myself & setting myself up for an epic fail :)

Back