Hayman Drums

Ozzy Biz

Platinum Member
This one goes out to all of the vintage aficionado's here.

Hayman Drums; have you heard of them? What were they like?

Specifically, I'm looking at a 60's vintage birch Hayman kit. 20/13/16/5x14 kit. It has round DW-like lugs. In what I think is a "Midnight Blue" finish.

What do you think?

They were like UK made ( by Ludwig or Premier or by companies that made those two ). I think Mitch Mitchell played them too... not sure.

That seems right; I think I heard they were a sort of UK Camcos. It's a local kit, and at what I think is a pretty good price compared to what similar age Gretsch's and Ludwigs go for.
I just wanted someone's opinion on if they are a decent set of drums or not.

No first-hand experience, but there's a section of 1969 and 1972 Hayman catalogs and brouchures here. The files are Zipped and sometimes they're PDFs as well: http://www.drumarchive.com/Hayman/

All vintage lovers should check out the rest of that site when you have the time. Some of the more obscure drum brands get some exposure, too. It's also cool if you like checking out the different graphic design "looks" for the drum companies through the decades.

They were like UK made ( by Ludwig or Premier or by companies that made those two ). I think Mitch Mitchell played them too... not sure.

Indeed Mitch Mitchell did play Hayman drums. He was playing a double-bass Hayman kit when I saw him with Jimi Hendrix (now you know that I'm an old f***er).

I started a thread on Haymans a while back and there was limited info, but I have a Hayman snare and it's the best thing I own. I have no experience with their kits but if you have a chance to grab a snare then do so.

Tom

I have two kits - 22, 12, 13, 16, 16 & 26, 13, 13, 16.

They are great drums with character. The finishes can be a bit hit and miss as they were pretty crap to begin with, but they are some nice ones out there. I got lucky with mine as they both pretty good.

Do it. The hardware is odd, but the shells themselves are the British equivalent of any Ludwig kit of the day with regards to quality and construction. Indeed, Bill Bruford did play a set in his King Crimson days (right up until the late 70's and his deal with Tama) and so did Mitch Mitchell and a good number of other British drummers. If the condition is good, I say take it.

I haven't heard this name in years. I remember seeing an old picture of Ansley Dunbar playing a set of Hayman's in a book about the history of the drum set. They evidently were very popular in the 60's.

That piece was written by Mike from DM Drums. You can contact him on many of the big forums

hi, i was wondering could anyone could help me. how much should i expect to pay for a george hayman 1969 shell pack 22x14 kick 13 and 16s toms? its the gold finish. i recently used it in the studio and i've asked the engineer to ask his friend who owns the kit if he'd sell it. but i've no idea what would be a good price for him and for myself. thanks

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't Haymen the original turret lugs? They were later bought by Camco...which was later bought by DW? Is this correct?

I was at this post a year ago. at that time I bought my own George Hayman drum set, and it sounds great... it has all, the sound, the punch, the stile... just beautiful drum...

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't Haymen the original turret lugs? They were later bought by Camco...which was later bought by DW? Is this correct?

I know this is a late answer; George Way first introduced the turrett lug on his drums, the George Way Drum company that later became Camco drum company. That´s the exact same lug as DW is using now. DW bought the rights to the design. The Hayman lug is very close but not to the detail.

There are famous Haymans on YouTube. One contemporary guy is Froth with Big Elf (search "Big Elf - Painkillers"), and you can always check out Simon Kirke's old kit ("Free - Ride On A Pony"). But my favorite is the late, and sorely missed Paul Hammond, playing a huge, 7-piece, silver sparkle set ("Atomic Rooster - A Spoonful of Bromide"). Haymans rock face! I wouldn't trade mine for a human baby.

I have an old heyman drumkit sat in my garrage, my dad also owns a heyman kit and still uses it! I plan to do the other kit up and put the 2 kits together.

Back