very angry about these sticks

The Big Beat

so my new sticks just broke, vic firth "rock" sticks. I thought these sticks were huge and long, i didnt think i could break them. i was wrong. went right through the drumhead and snapped one of em in half. So now, im gonna mak sure this never happens again. Promark DC3S white oak drumsticks. bigger and more badder than the others, they better not break. does anyone play/played with these and know what they're like

so my new sticks just broke, vic firth "rock" sticks. I thought these sticks were huge and long, i didnt think i could break them. i was wrong. went right through the drumhead and snapped one of em in half. So now, im gonna mak sure this never happens again. Promark DC3S white oak drumsticks. bigger and more badder than the others, they better not break. does anyone play/played with these and know what they're like

Maybe the problem is the way you are playing. You shouldn't be putting sticks through the heads. That's crazy.

idk. i think i play right, i mean, ive never been corrected on my technique by my teachers. Maybe i just hit too hard. Not really sure though

idk. i think i play right, i mean, ive never been corrected on my technique by my teachers. Maybe i just hit too hard. Not really sure though

Ha

Anyway, yes you definately hit too hard. I have never broken a stick thicker then a 5b, and I have never even come close to breaking a batter head on a drum.

oh well, hopefully these new sticks will last awhile, and the new head should as well.

Promark DC(drum corps)3S oak are pretty much the largest, hardest wooden sticks you can buy, i use a very similar vic firth "Ralph Hardiman" corpsmaster series marching stick. Any wooden stick is going to wear down eventually if you're playing extreme music. If those break,i'd say try synthetic or aluminum sticks

yea, thats the next step. aluminum ones. even though i absolutely hate them, if thats what it comes down to, then so be it

yea, thats the next step. aluminum ones. even though i absolutely hate them, if thats what it comes down to, then so be it

You go through Dc3's I would seriously re-evaluate how you are playing, I'd be a little concerned about the wear or possible damage you could be doing to your cymbals if you truly hit that hard. I'd be surprised if aluminum sticks would hold up.

If you break right through your head there's something very wrong. You either pound like a gorilla or the head was in terrible shape, or both. How's your free stroke / rebound? You may need to loosen your grip. But I havent seen you play so I couldn't tell for sure.

Buy extra heads.

Seriously, it's worth realizing that once you reach a certain point on a drum or a cymbal it simply doesn't get any louder. Go beyond that point on a drum and you're simply choking it--meaning you're getting a worse sound but no extra volume.

I'm not a hard hitter, but my kid is the hardest hitter I've ever seen, plays oak 747Bs, and has never put a stick through a head. Never even dented one.

Yes I think you probably hit too hard...have not broken a stick or head in easily 20 years now....and can get lot's of volume. Remember it is all about control.

Hmm I have discovered that I like light sticks, but I go through sticks fairly fast, about like 1-2 months a pair and now I'm using a lighter stick and it already has a crack in it. What is bad technique, hitting the cymbal on the edge too much hitting rim shots. Could someone clarify for me?

Hmm I have discovered that I like light sticks, but I go through sticks fairly fast, about like 1-2 months a pair and now I'm using a lighter stick and it already has a crack in it. What is bad technique, hitting the cymbal on the edge too much hitting rim shots. Could someone clarify for me?

Im lucky if i get a week out of a pair of sticks.

If you break right through your head there's something very wrong. You either pound like a gorilla or the head was in terrible shape, or both. How's your free stroke / rebound? You may need to loosen your grip. But I havent seen you play so I couldn't tell for sure.

Yea, so i took the broken heads off and realized a terrible truth. They were pdp heads that were put on my snare. I got it from a secondhand shop you see. It's a yamaha snare, but i guess someone decided to put pdp heads on it. I dont really know, that doesnt really explain my broken stick. I do a moderate amount of rimshots but, whatever im getting some new evans heads and new sticks so its all good. Im pretty sure my technique is fine. I don't think i have any grip problems, etc. Sometimes i guess i just get in the moment and maybe i pushed it a little too far

It could have been a bad stick and a bad head. But it also sounds like you are playing too much into the drum. Reevaluate your technique, it won't hurt. I highly recommend Dom Famularo's video school at the Vic Firth website, JoJo Mayer's Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer and Dave Weck's A Natural Evolution for example.

It don't. matter what kind of sticks you use the finer & straighter the grain the stronger the stick.

Take a 2b stick with 2 to 3 grains and a 2b with 6 or more grains the 2b with more grains will last

longer It'll take longer to look at the sticks but you're sticks will last longer also.

Good luck,
Bonzolead

Try Silverfox sticks. They use this weird coating on them that is like bulletproof or something. I used to break 2 or 3 ProMark 5B Oaks every show, and one pair of Silverfox 5Bs lasts me two or three nights now. Only thing is you might have to put some grip tape on them because that coating is like snot on a glass doorknob. Slippery.

The day I hit hard enough to break a stick and a head at the same time I'm going to become a lumberjack and grab an axe. I cannot believe your hands don't hurt, and if they do you are in for trouble when you get to be my age. You and Mr. Arthritis will be good friends. It sounds to me as if you play angry and not got angry.

Back