Heads with the sharpest attack

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Looking for that nice, sharp, open attack sound. What would I be looking for? My toms are unusual, they are shallower than most. For instance my 12 is a 12x8, my 13 is a 13x9, etc.

I usually like Aquarian heads but may perhaps be open to others as well.

any suggestions?

Haha, those are actually "standard" depth drums! Funny that people nowadays think they're shallow....

Anyway, I always found a clear head with a center dot (pick your brand, I think most companies make one) will give the most attack with an open sound.

I like attact and to my ear, anything that is in addition to a single ply clear head lessens attack, including coating. In other words for the most attack, my vote goes to the plain old clear 10 mil single ply head.

Big time attack can happen with Remo clear diplomat heads. They're thinner than ambassadors so you might go through them faster, but if that's the sound you want, that'll help get you there. If you want even more attack, try the Joe Porcaro diamond-tipped drumsticks, which you definitely don't want to use at full force, but you'll get alot of staccato out of your playing.

Back