Drumming = Health Benefits ?

Not just drumming but anything where there is passion. I used to play tennis at Dad's old club at times. You'd see these old guys hobbling their way back to the service line and marvel that they even made it back there. Then they'd serve the ball and suddenly they're running at hitting like young guys. After hamming a blazing winner the old guy would slowly hobble back for the next serve.

It cracked me up. They were like Yoda in Star Wars: The Revenge of the Sith, where he'd hobble in with the help of the cane - have a fight where he'd be whizzing around with his laser sword, and when the fighting was over he was hobbling on his cane again :)

The physical aerobic side is only one acpect; there's something primally satisfying and rejuvenating about drumming. We are rhythmic creatures - our breathing, our heartbeat, sex, walking, etc.

Along those same lines, I saw a blurb on the news tonight (ABC) about people with Parkinsons who can barely walk or function, but could ger on t bicycle and starting riding like they had no physical ailments.

definately!!! I have Osteoporosis. I had a scan two years after I started drumming and it showed a 10% improvement in bone density. Drumming was the only change I had made in my lifestyle--the docs said they knew high impact exercise helped, but had never considered drumming as a cure.

For those of you that are not ancient and falling to pieces, I would say that it depends on what health benefits you are looking for and what you are comparing it to. Drumming is certainly more active than watching tv but not as active as marathons and gym workouts. it excercises the brain, i dont think any workout schedule can be as hard to memorise and keep mental control of as a 2 hour set. and you get a huge buzz from the performing, all sorts of good chemicals going to your brain.

but we dont do it for health do we-- we do it because we love it

Drumming, like all other instruments, use both the right and left brain. Creative and Physical. As far as improving cardio......minimal to moderate if a person does NOTHING then takes up drums regularly. Strength.........some muscles will improve BUT there is a quicker way to do that than to just play drums.....it's called working out. If a drummer works out regularly with weights (2 times per week minimum) and cardio (2 times per week minimum) your back will not suffer too much, or at all, because your muscles are stronger and your breathing will be much easier. Drumming has it's own physical demands....................if your body is stronger.....it will NOT make you a better drummer.....but it WILL make you a more fit drummer to take on the demands.

definately!!! I have Osteoporosis. I had a scan two years after I started drumming and it showed a 10% improvement in bone density. Drumming was the only change I had made in my lifestyle--the docs said they knew high impact exercise helped, but had never considered drumming as a cure.

For those of you that are not ancient and falling to pieces, I would say that it depends on what health benefits you are looking for and what you are comparing it to. Drumming is certainly more active than watching tv but not as active as marathons and gym workouts. it excercises the brain, i dont think any workout schedule can be as hard to memorise and keep mental control of as a 2 hour set. and you get a huge buzz from the performing, all sorts of good chemicals going to your brain.

And there you go!

An inspiration to us all that we can keep it going, no matter what the number listed as our age. :)

i just came across this thread. while i agree with much of what i have read, i'd like to take the health discussion in another direction. we greatly benefit from drumming at the level of our immune and nervous systems. check out these links. the first found that drumming increases the activity of the cells that seek out and destroy cancer cells, amongst other findings.

http://www.remo.com/portal/pages/health_rhythms/research.html
http://www.livingrhythms.com/benefits2.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7872043.stm

No other change in your lifestyle other than the addition of drumming? No calcium supplements or any other dietary changes? I woulda thought your doctor would've told you to take calcium supplements. No? I just can't relate playing drums to increased bone density. There's no strength training in drums. Only cardiovascular benefits... as many have already pointed out.

No other change in your lifestyle other than the addition of drumming? No calcium supplements or any other dietary changes? I woulda thought your doctor would've told you to take calcium supplements. No? I just can't relate playing drums to increased bone density. There's no strength training in drums. Only cardiovascular benefits... as many have already pointed out.

There's plenty of impact, though. Also lugging.

Take it all with a grain of salt. A lot of opinions from non-medical professionals.

Take it all with a grain of salt. A lot of opinions from non-medical professionals.

I really don't even think the medical community could even give a solid answer on this one. There just hasn't been enough research. The Clem Burke Project does look interesting, and I hope they find out more information. But it's just one study.... for something to be conclusive you need multiple studies.

I heard it was good for your immunity system. Helps produce cancer killing cells or whatever.
It is also a great stress reliever.

I had a massive blood clot from my belly button to my knee, and an other from my knee to my ankle. I was talking to my doctor and he said drumming was good for the leg because the pumping of my ankle on the pedals improves blood flow. I still have to wear a compression stocking so my leg doesn't cramp, but at least I won't get grandma veins any time soon.

@gruntersdad. check out the links in my post. you might find them interesting. they are medical opinions. btw, nice looking gretsch drum in your profile pic

Sure drumming might have some health benefits. But, how does it compare to THE SHAKE-WEIGHT?

lol

Drumming primarily benefits mental health, from my experience.

-sheldon

I realize that I'm a bit late responding to this, but I figured I'd chime in some info I have at my disposal.

Exercise and Physical Activity are differentiated by their intentions.

Exercise is done for the purpose of improving fitness.
Physical Activity is done incidentally, like during work or play.

An example of exercise would be jogging, or lifting weights. An example of Physical activity would be the benefits from say, shoveling snow.

While drumming may have some health benefits, it's not the intended result, it is only incidental. Research strongly suggests that psychology plays a huge factor in your physical health, and vice versa (basically to the point where it's proven, but it's not "proven". But that's just semantics), so there is no doubt in my mind that there is some benefit to drumming, however I'm sure there are many other factors involved that aren't being taken into consideration.

For example, going for a walk may have the same effect on your circulatory system. Or playing a game of cards with a friend may have the same stress-relieving psychological benefits. Taking a break from the daily stressors of life to play the drums could be done doing something else equally enjoyable, with the same benefits.

I do believe that drumming can benefit you (probably more psychologically than physiologically, imho, although I don't doubt there is some physiological benefit). But if you're genuinely looking to drumming for its health benefits, you're playing the drums for the wrong reasons. If you want exercise, go jogging.

I doubt the drums are going to give you much of a real work-out.

You need to get your larger muscle groups working w/ your heart rate up for a given period of time to get a work out.

actually drumming uses some of the biggest muscle groups in your body.. Hips, Abs and back sure your using your smaller muscle groups but what do you thing is holding all that together. I agree jogging will make me more tired for the same amount of time.. but too much jogging will destroy your joints... and I dont think I could ever drum to much, as long as I sit up straight

Back