DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Rediscovering your "other" gear

Ever since I rehabbed a set of Ludwig Standards (about 5 years ago), they've been my primary kit - recording, gigs, goofing around, you name it. For the most part, my other drums (first-gen Yamaha Stage Custom) have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I did pull them out for a jazz gig earlier this year, but I was playing very softly with brushes and if I'm honest, a cardboard box would have sufficed at that gig.

The Ludwigs are currently set up and miked up at the theater where I'm preparing to play a three-week run of a musical, so when a gig at the local hockey arena opened up I had no option but to press the Yamahas into service for this gig. I'm fortunate enough to have amassed enough of everything to have two full, workable kits complete to hardware, pedals and throne; I did decide to bring along the two cymbals I was using at the theater to this gig, though.

I love the sound the Ludwigs make, but once I dialed in the Yamahas and we started playing I was shocked at how punchy and throaty they sounded next to the round, warm tones of the Ludwigs - and how well that fit the music; it was just as good as having the Luddies there. My bandmates agreed with me and suggested I bring them out more often.

I responded to a thread about people's #1 gigging snare earlier today; I wanted to get a thread going about the second string gear that you may have rediscovered recently and what that felt like. Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2018, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Rediscovering your "other" gear

Just wondering, but are you setting up for rehearsal in the pictures that you posted..?

Because that's pretty nice if thats the case..

Here where i live, when a band would like to rehearse outside with nice weather, the local gouvernment would not be a fan of that..
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Just wondering, but are you setting up for rehearsal in the pictures that you posted..?

Because that's pretty nice if thats the case..

Here where i live, when a band would like to rehearse outside with nice weather, the local gouvernment would not be a fan of that..
Nope, this is the gig of which I speak in the post - we were set up in a roped-off beer garden area outside the local hockey arena.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
..Nope, this is the gig of which I speak in the post - we were set up in a roped-off beer garden area outside the local hockey arena..

Ah ok..

I understood the first post like you were about to play inside the actual arena..

But then still looks like a nice and peacefull environment to play..

Some nice things you have going on lately, also the musical gig looks like a nice and comfortable one..
Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Every time I take my Ludwig Centennials out, I'm reminded how awesome they sound...especially for a "beater" kit.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Ah ok..

I understood the first post like you were about to play inside the actual arena..

But then still looks like a nice and peacefull environment to play..

Some nice things you have going on lately, also the musical gig looks like a nice and comfortable one..
It is and it isn't. I get home about 10 pm, have time for one beer and a short sit with the doggo, and then it's to bed, after three hours of intense mental focus and with every mistake I made in rehearsal jogging around in my brain. It's been tough to sleep, suffice to say... and I show up to my day job at 8 am sharp.