DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

Default The Clock

any thoughts on hi-hat technique?

any exercises or schools of thought?

i find that when the clock is tight (hi-hat or ride) the rest falls into place easily without overplaying or underplaying.

easier said than done when your mind on

a) that fat snare pop or
b) that tasty fill or
c) that nasty foot kick

help me set the clock.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: The Clock

As far as I can tell, you're talking about studying time.

Here's what helped me the most:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...simplest+thing
Old 10-13-2018, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

Check my username. LOL

But for real. Thatís a great place to start, really slow push-pull 8th notes on the hi-hat.

Thereís something Iíve been playing with that involves doing 3 strokes in French grip followed by 1 in German grip. Iíve been doing this for fast 16ths on hi-hat. Practice it very slowly for a week or two. Freddie Gruber taught a version of this for double-stroke rolls, except just 1 stroke in French followed by 1 in German.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

I've heard Peter Erskine and Steve Smith talk about counting out loud and subdividing in your head or verbally as you play to improve your rhythmic accuracy. Is this what you're striving for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUk...ffL6O8wCJVz44N

also check this out... http://vicfirth.com/elastic-subdivisions/
Old 10-13-2018, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Count and try to keep time with EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. The blinker in your car, the dollar/gallon meter on the gas pump, anything that measures something evenly. I like "beat the microwave". I've mentioned it before, but it's like this: count down with the timer when you heat something up. When the clock reaches 0:00, push the door button (or open the door if no button). If you get it right on time, the readout will stay 0:00 but the dinger won't go off. If you are early the timer will say 0:01, and if you are late the clock will display. Yes it can be done, and yes it is hard. But it is possible.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:36 AM
Gold Member

Turning the metronome to 60 or even 50 bpm and trying to bury the click with claps, snare hits, etc. is really good for your time. I can bury the click consistently at 20 bpm, and stay fairly close at 10 bpm. Itís tough at first, but it gets a lot easier after a few weeks of daily practice.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:54 PM

I think your first mistake is thinking of the hi hat or ride as "the clock"

that suggests to me that everything else you are playing is based on time kept there ... that kind of has determined a role for that hand and is separating it in a way that can be counter productive

time is in the air ... time is in your core ... you want to be able to weave in and out of it with all limbs without relegating one of them to a physical metronome ... if you dig what I'm saying

and it all starts with doing away with thought processes like ... "my right hand is the clock" ... or whatever

you are cornering yourself from jump street

I think a more healthy and creative way to think of it is ... that there is a constant stream of 16ths ... or sextuplets ... or whatever subdivision is the root of what you are playing ... in the air ... and we choose to pluck certain ones out of the air and play them ...

that is where the clock is ... we just pull from the hands of the clock the notes we choose to play
Old 10-14-2018, 04:00 AM

Unlike some other opinions, i would not get too obsessive about using a metronome (and such things) regarding this subject to be honest..

I mean, practicing with a metronome has ofcourse great value, but if i would have to choose between being constantly busy with a metronome or constantly being busy with listening to records from drummers with an amazing feel, then i would choose to listen a lot..

Listening a lot to Porcaro, Gadd, Keltner, Purdie, Carlock, Brechtlein, Al Jackson Jr, Jabo Starks, Stubblefield, etc etc etc etc etc etc and getting those into your system, will develop your 'clock' and feel way better than listening a lot to a metronome click..

Thats my opinion at least..