DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Hurricane Michael beat my Dad

Hurricane Micheal devastated a small town on the Gulf of Mexico-called Mexico Beach. Some fifty years ago my Dad bought a lot on the canal, designed a home to be Hurricane proof (for that era), and had his own crew built it (he was a physician, but architect builder, farmer, wore many hats). Well we sold the home a few year back-my Dad died at 70 and thought he left enough to support my Mom the rest of her days-well she lived to be 91 so things changed. I was raised there, my brothers kids and grand kids, my kids, just so many memories of my life and family were there (still go that beach). So even though we don't own it anymore it was a huge loss to all my family-like losing a family member. It withstood numerous hurricanes-had to replace roof, etc, but it never flooded or anything major. Now it's a smooth empty lot. Makes me think about all the people there reeling from their losses. My heart weeps. But it's just material stuff-still have all those memories-and hopefully little loss of life there and in Georgia and elsewhere. I just weathered Florence but we actually received worse weather from Michael-all this way inland. There have been 11 Category 4 hurricanes to hit Florida, 1 category 5-another cat 5 impacted but wasn't direct hit. Too many to count of lesser category hurricanes since 1800s (which that just recorded history). Yet people go back, rebuild, waiting to weather another storm inevitably. Sad day for lots of people.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hurricane Michael beat my Dad

Really makes me wonder why people choose to live by the ocean in hurricane prone areas. Water is the biggest modifier of earthen landscape, and hurricanes are huge. It isn't like 300 years ago when people had no idea of the horrors that await them. It really does baffle me. Is it the scenery, the climate, or something else? People sure do seem to like it by the water.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Really makes me wonder why people choose to live by the ocean in hurricane prone areas. Water is the biggest modifier of earthen landscape, and hurricanes are huge. It isn't like 300 years ago when people had no idea of the horrors that await them. It really does baffle me. Is it the scenery, the climate, or something else? People sure do seem to like it by the water.
I live in San Francisco and went through the big quake of 89 and watched freeways and buildings collapse.
There will be a very big one in the next 50 years and with the way things are built on top of one another ,there will be a major catastrophe of life and property,but they just keep on building.

The weather is great,but is it catastrophic great?

Lemmings is the term that comes to mind.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

Im from Baltimore, MD but some of my buddies I grew up with moved to Florida, West Palm area. Its like heaven going down there to visit and jam. Beautiful clear water, pretty colors not brown like MD ocean. But they have to deal with these huge storms. Its a trade off some are willing to make. Id love to be on the water somewhere beautiful, but Im sure Id research safest areas.

Sorry Art about your pops property. Growing up we had a beach place and that place will always be magic to me.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:10 PM

I am sorry to hear that GetAgrippa, sometimes we take small things or certainty for granted. Although as you say the home and land was no longer owned by the family, it is part of your heart and mind. Hits close to home for me.
Reminds me of when I go back to a small farming community in Texas where my grandparents used to live (both dead now), was raised there as my mom stayed with them during my early years but always went back for weekends and summers, they sold their house and land was a little over an acre. The property was destroyed by a smaller tornado in late 90s (was a junior in high school) that blew threw the town and the new owners have not built anything live able since. Now there is a stable for horses and the rocky driveway that was full of cars during holidays and occasions, is covered by prairie grass. But for some reason the butane tank is still there and that is my point of reference of where their house used to be.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for empathy fellas I appreciate it. Here's a video of Mexico Beach those poor people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13UoLG4assM
Right in beginning of video is mouth of canal-on the right side use to be homes lining it. One of which was the one Dad built. He put in extra supportive foundation, extra hurricane clips, etc. but no match for this one. Lots of pines in this area which are prone to snap and have shallow roots that turn up. Looks more like a giant tornado than a hurricane in some areas.
The fella that developed the canal did so illegally decades ago-he just dug it. Problem was he didn't know what he was doing so wind from one direction would fill up the mouth with sand. I remember having to time a wave to surf into canal-sometimes you'd just have to anchor near beach. The locale and state battled for decades trying to get corp of engineers to take it over. They finally fixed it to be stable-took some time and experimentation. My dad was the first to put a seawall on the canal and then like dominos everyone followed suit. It was a sleepy little fishing village for years filled with all kind of characters. But you can't keep paradise a secret so it grew and developed but still small. It was like paradise to me-sand so bright you'll get snow blindness, aquamarine waters teaming with wildlife. I remember being 17-18 yrs age there by myself. I'd get up and jump in our boat and head out to Cape San Blas across the mouth of the bay. Huge 20-30 sand dunes at that-I jump out swimming butt naked and run up on an abandoned beach, then go catch some fresh fish for supper. It was awesome. Apalachicola Bay nearby has some of the best oysters in the world-which I'll shuck as fast as you and I can eat. Well I got my memories. It wiped out a nearby Airforce base too. The airforce base trains jocks so they fly out and drop drones for them to blow up. It was exciting back in the old days cause you could fish in the areas they tested but just needed to be wary to get the hell out fast if they radioed in.
In regard to building in those areas-we Southerners walk to the tune of a different drummer-as the pic displays LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 10-11-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:52 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Mudslides, wildfires, tornados, hurricanes, avalanches, freezing weather for months, tsunami, earthquakes,.....gotta live somewhere. With hurricanes we get a few days warning. And in Alaska people still live above the Arctic Circle...Why.?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Johnny thanks for putting my thread in correct place. I noted after I did it-I screwed it up-hey I've been on a "roll" .
Old 10-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Sorry for your loss Getagrippa, that's tough. I sometimes check in on the house where I grew up and relive some memories.

A tornado ripped through my area a couple weeks ago, some people lost their houses. It's tough. That's a new one for around here though, never had a tornado.