Buying a custom DW set

I'm a DW Drum guy (through and through, check out my Album), and I can tell you, all 3 drums needed tuning when I received them.

Sure, I've seen the YouTube video on DW, where they claim all drums that leave the factory are ready to play, and I won't argue that point, providing you don't mind playing a drum that sounds like a pre-schooler tuned it, not to discredit DW in any way, just saying.

I sort of wondered if that was bogus. Thanks for the comment.

Re: Remo Ambassador heads, would I notice a significant difference in sound compared the stock heads I'm currently using?

I've watched a number of YouTube videos related to snare, tom, and bass drum heads, and by the time I've finished watching, they all seem to sound the same, so I keep playing the stock issue.

I'll take a look at the Ambassadors. Appreciate the mention, Az!

They don't have to be Ambassadors. I mentioned them, because so many stock heads are Ambassadors. I still have a set of the stock DWs that came with my PDPs in my closet. Some say DW, others say PDP, but they are identical and say medium head by Remo on them, they are far from medium. If you compare them to clear Ambassadors or G1s for example, while they are technically all medium heads, the DW heads are nowhere near the same. They are way thicker and stiffer.

I would have totally expected them on the PDP line, but would have expected DWs to warrant real heads when shipped.

They don't have to be Ambassadors. I mentioned them, because so many stock heads are Ambassadors. I still have a set of the stock DWs that came with my PDPs in my closet. Some say DW, others say PDP, but they are identical and say medium head by Remo on them, they are far from medium. If you compare them to clear Ambassadors or G1s for example, while they are technically all medium heads, the DW heads are nowhere near the same. They are way thicker and stiffer.

I would have totally expected them on the PDP line, but would have expected DWs to warrant real heads when shipped.
Many thanks, Az! I'll take a closer look at the G1's. They'll make for a good starting point for me.

Ambassadors/G1's for higher tunings, Emperors/G2's if you like lower tunings. Clear for brighter tones, coated for warmer tones. I have Coated Emps on mine and they're low and fat with still plenty of sustain.

Ambassadors/G1's for higher tunings, Emperors/G2's if you like lower tunings. Clear for brighter tones, coated for warmer tones. I have Coated Emps on mine and they're low and fat with still plenty of sustain.
Many thanks, JV! Drumheads stupefy me. It's become such a complicated process nowadays with the vast selection.

Many thanks, JV! Drumheads stupefy me. It's become such a complicated process nowadays with the vast selection.

Okay, so let me add to the confusion. If it wasn't for going for the UV1s, I would have definitely gone the Aquarian Classic Clear and Coated heads. Super durable and sound great. The UV1s messed up that plan. If it was going to be 2-ply, than G2 or Emperor. There. Nothing like changing the direction of a thread and swirling already muddy waters, but I'm good at that.... SQUIRREL! :)

Last edited:
Okay, so let me add to the confusion. If it wasn't for going for the UV1s, I would have definitely gone the Aquarian Classic Clear and Coated heads. Super durable and sound great. The UV1s messed up that plan. If it was going to be 2-ply, than G2 or Emperor. There. Nothing like changing the direction of a thread and swirling already muddy waters, but I'm good at that.... SQIREL! :)
Roaring with laughter! That's why I play stock heads. :)

There are a lot of good quality used/new collectors packages out for 3500-4500 dollars canadian nowadays. Just recently saw a broken glass collectors kit used for 3k and sold right away... i would have considered this if i hadnt bought my used collectors for 2.8k already (and mine was a 6 piece)

Broken glass with black chrone hw
Maple

Dia x depth:
14x10 rack tom???
16x16
20x24(wow-!!)

14x8 snare (wow!!)

This one mustve have been custom ordered by a customer that plays some mean rock
https://www.justdrums.com/product/u...e-4-piece-shell-pack-gold-glass-black-nickel/

If anyone wants to shop kits for me, I'm looking for a 7 piece in natural Maple or Oak most likely. That said I would really like to play a few before actually buying, haha.

If anyone wants to shop kits for me, I'm looking for a 7 piece in natural Maple or Oak most likely. That said I would really like to play a few before actually buying, haha.

I had a hard time finding a place where they let u play collectors as well... good luck tho.

Maple ones shouldn't be much of an issue. Most big box stores will carry them. All the GCs in my area have them, Sometimes even in exotic finishes. Specialty woods....hmmmm. There should be a good pool of used you could play too, but specialty woods are going to be a tougher find.

When in doubt, G2s over G1s. I just played a house kit (Starclassic) with them and they sounded nice, open and fat.
Good to know. Thanks, Az! I'll be remembering this.

I am NOT alone. ... :)

I've been going through the same process. A few months ago I started putting together a DW Performance Series kit. As I near retirement I'm trying to decide to

1. Expand my Performance Series set to a massive size.
2. Get a small DW Collector's series set in a beautiful wood.
3. Step out of my box, give up my Hawaii trip and new Camry, and get the Tama Star Bubinga Wild Sea Blue kit I've had my eye on at the Sweetwater site.

In a couple weeks I'm going to Gearfest at Sweetwater and plan to closely view all of their offerings. Then I will decide.

I've been going through the same process. A few months ago I started putting together a DW Performance Series kit. As I near retirement I'm trying to decide to

1. Expand my Performance Series set to a massive size.
2. Get a small DW Collector's series set in a beautiful wood.
3. Step out of my box, give up my Hawaii trip and new Camry, and get the Tama Star Bubinga Wild Sea Blue kit I've had my eye on at the Sweetwater site.

In a couple weeks I'm going to Gearfest at Sweetwater and plan to closely view all of their offerings. Then I will decide.

Awesome. Feel free to continue posting in this thread. It's nice to know I too am not alone! haha.

There is a thread on the DW Facebook page picture from yesterday or the day beore about the inability to hear side by side wood comparisons and any way to play the sets, so there are others as well!

Good luck on your adventure!

3. Step out of my box, give up my Hawaii trip and new Camry, and get the Tama Star Bubinga Wild Sea Blue kit I've had my eye on at the Sweetwater site..
Hawaii will be there well into your retirement and new cars are over rated...those drums will not be and definitely are not over rated. Keep us posted. (Apologies for the unsolicited "help" lol)

Well boys I have booked my trip out to LA for three weeks from now. I'll be doing a factory tour and hopefully spending a little time at what I understand is a retail shop right there?

Is there a "must visit" retailer in the LA area to really see the kits? I would have to think if there is one, it would be there?

Should I ask for anything special at the factory considering I am seriously on the verge of ordering a kit? I "mentioned" it in my inquiry e-mail and didn't get any extra offers other than the standard tour.

Right now I probably have the cash to do it, but as I mentioned above I don't even want to put it together until I have $10k ready to go so I can add on whatever the hell I feel like as I am putting it together.

Well boys I have booked my trip out to LA for three weeks from now. I'll be doing a factory tour and hopefully spending a little time at what I understand is a retail shop right there?

Is there a "must visit" retailer in the LA area to really see the kits? I would have to think if there is one, it would be there?

Should I ask for anything special at the factory considering I am seriously on the verge of ordering a kit? I "mentioned" it in my inquiry e-mail and didn't get any extra offers other than the standard tour.

Right now I probably have the cash to do it, but as I mentioned above I don't even want to put it together until I have $10k ready to go so I can add on whatever the hell I feel like as I am putting it together.

That's cool. I haven't been out to that factory yet - they just had a factory day this past weekend that I couldn't get to either. From what I've seen in videos, they have a room of drum sets so you can try out whatever they have, so that should be really cool, especially if you can hear the differences between all the different woods and shell constructions.

I didn't know they took orders at the factory, but maybe they do? Since you're not too far away, you should head south from Oxnard down to Hollywood and visit the world renown Professional Drum Shop and see the historic shop that every pro drummer in town goes to. They treat everybody the same - it's a really cool hang.

Back