Skins for pearl session customs maple

dennyb

Hello everyone . I have just purchased a set of Pearl Session Custom drums.
The tom sizes are 10, 12, 14, 16. I was looking for some help in selecting skins
for this kit. I play anything from rock to jazz. The kit is maple.

Thx, Dennis

I play Session Customs and it really boils down to personal preference but if it were me I'd go with clear ambassadors on the tops and bottoms. But that's me and the sound I like. Nice and open.

Thanks for the info, it's aleays good to hear other drummer's experience. the kit
came with Remos Pinstripes. I don't care for the way they sound at any tuning
level.
Thx, Dennis

How thick are the shells on these Sessions? I have a Masters MRX kit with maple shells and they sound the best with a single ply head....either clear or coated. The kit came with clear Ambassadors top and bottom and just sing with that head combination.

I have used Pinstripes in the past because it seems the band members don't like a wide open drum sound. More muffling the better...at least they think anyway. So, i bought a used Export ELX kit to gig with that has Pinstripes and they love the sound of them.

To each his own I guess...

ddrum, from the research I have done the Session Series is constructed as a
6 ply shell. Thanks for the infor on the clear Ambassodors.

Dennis

Those are great sounding drums! Hard to make them sound bad IMO :)

I once played a set with clear emperors on top, ambassadors on the bottom. They sounded fantastic. A nice balance between thick and rounded.

I have a Pearl Session Maple kit as well. I have had them for about 6 years.
My tom sizes are 8x8, 10x8, 12x10, 14x12 & 22x18.
I use a Yamaha Steve Jordan snare drum.

Honestly, I think this is one of the best sounding kit's I've ever heard for the price. I'm 22 now but I began drumming in 1999 when I was just 10. It was a christmas gift from my parents after playing on a Pearl export kit for 6 yrs. I got the 5 piece shells for about $1249.99 and added the 8" tom for another, let's say, $150 "ish".

I, NOW, work @ Guitar Center & I have met a bunch of people with the exception of a handful that love Pearl Drums and do not down talk Pearl. I enjoy playing Pearl and I love the mounting systems, hardware, shells etc. (even though I wish they made the sessions with virgin kicks). I also prefer the 7/8 tubing way more than the PDP, DW, Tama, Gretsch, OCDP mounts. To me the pearl is extremely sturdy.

As far as heads go... I personally prefer coated heads but I have used pinstripes, ambassadors, emperors and I currently have the black suedes on there which are great but I havent had the chance to replace them.

I would definitely recommend coated ambassadors. I have the Benny Greb DVD & I will try using coated ambassadors on the bottom, as he recommends, being that I've never experimented with coated heads on the bottom. It should give it a slightly warmer sound. It all depends on what style of music you play but I love the resonance and musicality/tone of coated heads since clear heads feel like a "thump" to me personally.

I hope you enjoy your kit. It's an awesome set. Don't worry too much about heads, just tune them right and you'll be amazed how well they sound.

I really like the sound of single ply heads on maple drums, I personally use Aquarian studio x for just a bit of control with classic clear resos on toms, coated studio x on snares and a super kick 1 with ported regulator front on the kick.

Back