Is the acoustic kit dying?

I don't know, but great as my Roland Kit sounds, there is something very special and motivating about the acoustic kit (Master's MCX with a Pearl Ref Bass and Paiste Cymbals) i like both.

I've only encountered an E-kit situation once here in Orlando, and I have a set of Rolands.
ce15.jpg
11uk.jpg
mor.jpg

ht11.jpg
dh11.jpg

I never see e-kits at gigs.

What I see here in NYC is either a real jazz or rock band with authentic instruments or a DJ with his electronic gear. I see no bands doing the electronic thing besides triggering a few samples here and there.

So, no the acoustic kit is not dying.

Well even though some have tried, this thread does resemble a discussion of acoustic vs. electronics.

FWIW, here's my blah-blah-blah. :)

First back to the question: No - even though Roland has the highest sales of any drum set manufacturer - acoustics are not dying and being replaced by electronic drum kits. That's not to say electronic drum kits are unpopular and I refer again to Roland's position in the drum world.

The obvious: Electronic drum kit sales/use is driven primarily by volume challenged situations. Churches (big time), apartment/condo/dorm dwellers, parents that want to relax when they get home from work, Top 40 or other popular music bands that play venues requiring light to ridiculous volume levels, music school labs, etc. The key concept for this demographic is volume control. Sometimes it's because of the technique of the typical player showing up in these circumstances. Sometimes because the venue is attempting something musically foolish (i.e. where you can hear the pads over the drum sounds, trying play metal at 70 db, etc). Sometimes it's out of ignorance. But sometimes it's because of all of the possible solutions, this is the best musical choice they can make with the resources they have. FWIW, I consider the house sound and soundman to be a resource. Both may be great or woefully lacking and that affects drummers of acoustic or e-drum kits big time

The other: Some electronic drum kit sales are driven by those that just dig being able to get a pre-recorded, pre-EQ'd, ready-to-go sound. I would venture to say that this demographic includes younger and/or inexperienced players, hobbyists that just like to jam along with tunes and like one poster said (sadly in this case) not wanting the "joy" of tuning. I would add to the latter statement that this kind of player has little interest in exploring, learning and practicing all of the subtleties of sound produced by playing drums and cymbals in a myriad of ways. Their tastes run with well recorded, focused drum sounds. Electronic drum kits are a quick, effective solution for that type of player and - the music they gravitate towards.

The smallest demographic are those trying to do something creative and different with e-drums. They are there but just in small numbers.

IMHO, the acoustic kit is alive and will stay alive and well. The sales of electronic drums show the e-drums are not going anywhere yet. Kind of a stale mate if you need to measure survival.

Now - opportunities to play live acoustic drums may be reduced because,frankly , live music opportunities have decreased. Not as many full size stages or music based venues.

What I'll throw out is that I'm looking to different approaches on acoustic drums as being the best outlet for my creativity and expression. I own an SPD-S and a Korg Wavedrum. I can be expressive and creative with those as well. But I can't get 20-30 different timbres of rimshots on the fly, in performance from either of those or even a Roland TD-30. I can record Emerill Lagasse saying "BAM!" and use it as a sampled backbeat. I can play my Wavedrum through a compressor, chorus or looper and get some great sounds and performances. Can't do that with acoustic drums. I can play with a RhythmTech Stickball on a drumstick playing the rim of a floor tom and a Firth Heritage brush in my left hand digging in deadstick style on a snare for a back beat.

To answer the original question in a different way: I do not see electronic drum sets replacing acoustic drum sets in a comprehensive way. It may be difficult to see that in the paradigm each person has from what they are experiencing.

Last edited:
Whilst there are companies creating acoustic drums that open up to full tone at low dynamic = no.

I could explain, but I've drunk lots of really nice Valdepenas, & I can't be arsed ;)

You know when we Yanks hear or read the word "Whilst" we're either in church or involved with Shakespeare.

However, in the spirit....(clears throat)

"Me thinks thy words resonate - with body, Sir Guru, who haileth from Varnish-on-Staves'!"

(get it??...resonates??...with body???...nice Valdep....never mind...)

No, it's not dying. If I played styles other than small group jazz (and had a roadie) I would
like to play on a hybrid acoustic/electronic kit for the variety in sounds.

The acoustic kit is alive, well and will never die but, for me, the E kit solves more problems than it creates and, after 2+ years, I still prefer them for what I do.

I did just spend $800 on cymbals for the A kit though. :)

If I were in a different situation, I'd switch to my A kit. The huge targets are certainly easier to hit.

IDK, for controlling volume live, isn't it less hassle to go with a lambswool beater and heavy muffling and t shirts or towels if necessary laid over the toms to decrease the volume? You could use one of those rubber practice pad things you put over your snare. Or use rods. (yuk)

Anything but those confounded toys! That's what e-drums remind me of... toys.

And you cannot help bringing up E drums in a thread like this. What's implied in the topic is if A drums die, what's left? Programming and E drums. So it's a natural progression of the topic. I saw a comment just yesterday where the guy wondered why a song he could play well on E drums, didn't sound good on A drums. Moving air with a stick striking a membrane...and bouncing a stick on rubber pad are 2 completely different things. E-drums shouldn't even be called drums, because a drum is hollow.

I'm surprised to hear this. Here in the UK I think I've perhaps seen an electronic kit used once or twice at a live venue but that's about it. It is very rare here.

I used to own a very high end electronic kit. It was a novelty at first and it did come in useful, but ultimately I got bored of it and sold it.

I don't think the acoustic kit is going anywhere soon. You still even see them used on TV for pop acts at the moment.

E drums are great for practicing, I HATE playing them out.

I bought a TD-20 for practice because I wanted something as *real as possible* to practice with. I joined a band who required an ekit and I thought these drums wouldn't be so bad to play.

For one thing, they sound way worse through a monitor than through headphone. For another, there is still a huge limitation in nuances I get out of them. The band would not even consider letting me try the real drums. I am more than capable of playing my drums quiet enough for this venue. I have done it with other bands. I don't believe these guys ever had a drummer who did beat the hell out of them.

So I left the band, but under good terms and I still fill in with them sometimes. I went to listen to them play with another drummer and I was surprised at how loud they were. I had to lean over speak loudly to the person I was with at front table. I talked to them after the gig and I realized that the ekit was not for volume, nor band sound but only for the stage volume for the other band members. A pretty selfish thing for them to do IMO......but they did make it clear that the gig was was ekit or nothing so at least were up front and honest about it.

I doubt I will ever agree to an kit for gigs again.

E-drums shouldn't even be called drums, because a drum is hollow.

I agree. Acoustic and e-drums are akin to piano and synth. Two different instruments with different techniques.

It's not a perfect analogy, partly because drums are loud and inherently anti-social (yay!). E-drums are the only option for many people so they aren't replacing acoustic kits, they're replacing practice pads (or giving up).

I've thought about the issue of this thread and decided that I don't mind either way. Que sera sera :)

My church body has two locations we worship at. Both locations have e kits. they sound good enough. I assume the reasons were that it is very easy to mix the sound and they don't have to spend money on two sets of mics.

Back