Therapy

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
On wednesday two weeks ago, I was in a little accident involving a cross-walk, an inattentive driver, and rainy conditions, and I was left with a broken left arm. As if it wasn't weak enough!

The cool thing was that I was healing so fast that all my scrapes and bruises were all but gone the day before surgery and they had to re-break the bones to set them correctly and plate them. I AM WOLVERINE

Now, my arm has been in a splint since the surgery, which was last thursday, and I'm already trying to loosen up the muscles and joints so I can get back to concert band and trying out for Jersey Surf and my fusion band and playing Call Of Duty and...

Yeah.

Since a lot of you guys have probably been through traumatic injury before, what advice do you have for me to come out of this with a left arm that's as good as it was? This is the first time I've ever had surgery or ever had a break this bad before, so knowledge is appreciated!

All the more reason to rehab as soon as you can and you may end up with a better left hand than before. Good luck.

I know alot about recovery especially the left hand, arm and shoulder! Listen to your doctor and get a good PT person who understands what muscles and tendons you use to perform on drums. You have alot of internal groups in your arm that work in concert with one another and its possible that you need some time away from the drummers motion for proper healing to take place. To many people think that drumming is an automatically a great form of therapy but you should double check to be safe.
I think motions with no pressures applied is a good start, short stretching that increases in time is an exercise I still do. A soft ball like old computer mush ball is perfect to use for short exercise for gripping. A good PT clinic will get you movin in the right direction and the exercises might be a valued part of your warm up routine. Good luck go slow and do it right! Doc

+1 Doctor dirt has this 100% right.You get one chance to heal properly,and only one.Do exactly what your doctor ,and PT tell you,or you may have range of motion issues for the rest of your life,and that is not a problem that you can just take a pill to fix.

Do not listen to your friend nor anyone else for that matter that is not a medical professional,I don't care what they tell you.I know a young man who broke his elbow,which is a serious injury.He decided one day he had enough of his casg because of the itching,and took it off.Now he an barely button the top botton of his shirt.

Do it right....you only get one shot.

Steve B

Back