Hearing Loss

Why I always wear earplugs!
But I always turn my iPod up pretty loud... It's pretty quiet and sometimes it's just too loud... It's a weird thing...

Looks like I'm not losing my hearing :) YET

Sadly, I have all of the problems in that article. My left ear isn't too bad - just slight loss in the higher frequencies, and that's probably the result of drumming. My right ear, however, is terrible. I had a viral infection of the inner ear (didn't hurt, I didn't even know I had it) that destroyed most of the auditory nerves. I can't even hear on that side with the type of hearing aid that transmits sound through bone. Plenty of tinnitus on that side, though.

Soooo, I know what it's like to be impaired, even if mine wasn't caused by loud noise. Take care of your ears!!!

I think I'll probably look back in life and think to myself, "Man, I'm really thankful that I was told to wear hearing protection in the beginning of my music career." I'm glad/fortunate that all of those loud rock concerts of my youth had little impact on my hearing. But, had I known, I would have worn earplugs then, too.

Wear those earplugs, kids...you'll thank yourself when you're 60+...

What was that? Can't hear you. Speak up please. ;-)

Pure. Comedic. Gold.

Thanks for the reminder to all of us Grunter.

A couple of those 9 things actually do apply to me, however I think it's just passed down from my mother's hearing loss.
I hate to say this, but sometimes it's actually a bit frusterating to talk with her, because of the hearing loss. I can't imagine what it's like for her.

Do your friends and family, but most of all yourself a favor, and always wear ear protection when playing drums.

The bassist in one of my bands doesn't wear ear protection. I tried to convince him but he won't. It may not affect his hearing now, but god help him when he gets into his 30's and 40's...

Back