Carpal Tunnel Surgery

conchrandy

New to the forum, so I don't know if this has been brought up before. I had to have surgery on my left hand a few years ago. Is this a common affliction among us?

There's been a couple threads on Carpal/RSI/Tendinitis, but I'm not aware of anyone else having surgery.

I had a bad case of Dequervain's and had to have 2 steroid injections. I'm most of the way better, but it still worries me a bit.

What steps did you take before surgery? My doctors told me to try everything else first: physio, time off playing, revamping hand technique steroids, and finally surgery if all else failed.

They stressed that surgery was not a quick fix, but more of a last ditch effort. Has it solved your problems? Would you do it again?

My L hand went numb, couldn't even feel a cup of coffee. I tried a number of exercises including a cats paw which worked the fingers in an extraction movement, no help. Finally gave up and had the rather expensive relief surgery where they go in and cut the bone that's aggravating the nerve. My ortho said it was no doubt a result of pounding the pad for hours at a time. Recovery took a few months but was nearly a 100%.

I'm going to see an orthopedist next week. My right hand is giving me a lot of trouble, stinging and numbness and soreness. My doctor said it could be arthritis but my wife, who is a nurse, thinks it's probably carpal tunnel.

I hate the idea of surgery, but at this point I'll do almost anything to be able to play without being in pain.

Last edited:
Your ortho will send you to a neurologist for tests that involve sending electrical impulses through the nerve to the fingers to confirm CTS and the extent of the condition. This is worse than the surgery, sorry.

Your ortho will send you to a neurologist for tests that involve sending electrical impulses through the nerve to the fingers to confirm CTS and the extent of the condition. This is worse than the surgery, sorry.

Lovely. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

I've had both hands done, a few years back.
It didn't affect my drumming skills.
Maybe it's just that I could get no worse.

All in all, not a scary thing, don't worry.
I was back to work in a week.

Just lately though, I'm feeling some tinging in my palms again.
So it might not be a permanent fix.

Ps...the nerve conduction test was a bit annoying. I've had them on my neck too, the hands are much more pleasant.

Back