Hi-hat rod in the way...

So I've had a set of tymps on the left side of my kit (as an upper-range extension of the toms) for the last while, and I've been able to access them easily for the most part. But as I need to become more efficient with my space (everything is already fairly cramped in my setup) and I'm placing more stuff on the left side of my kit, I'm realizing that the rod from my hi-hat is coming in the way of my sticks when I play. My hats are fairly low in comparison to the kit, so there's a lot of rod exposed. Now my question is... is this something I should take a saw to? The hi-hat hardware is... relatively cheap Tama Imperialstar factory hardware, so I'm not too restrained when considering simply sawing off a good portion of the rod. Should I do this? Or is there a different way to solve it?

Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom.

Can u take a picture so i can see exactly what you mean please?

That's exactly what I did. Worked out perfectly. File the cut end nice and round, use the end you cut off for an example.

100_43382.jpg

The hi-hat rod comes in the way of the splash and sometimes the high tymp. I usually just end up having to move the hi-hat constantly (as hardware tends to move a little at times), but its annoying and impractical during a performance, say.

If you're certain you'll always have your hi hats at that height, I say just hack the rod off

Yea cuttin off the rod would be the easiest solution. the only thing i could suggest is moving the spash just next to or sorta above the tymp and move the hihats to the left about 2-3"? But its just a thought, it might get uncomfortable for you if you moved the hihats, so saw away :)

I was pretty much just wanting to hear approval for sawing it... lol. Now I just wonder what with...

A hacksaw and a little elbow grease should do the trick...mark a line with a Sharpie where you plan on cutting...leave about 4" or so above where you place your clutch. Sand it off and you should be good to go.

A hacksaw and a little elbow grease should do the trick...mark a line with a Sharpie where you plan on cutting...leave about 4" or so above where you place your clutch. Sand it off and you should be good to go.

That's a good way to go about it. I would suggest putting the rod in a vise.

Hihat rods are usually way too long, long enough for a 7-foot person to play standing. I cut mine off to about a half-inch of their highest position, so it is not in the way at all.

does it not mess up the chroming?
i dont want the chrome peeling off...
Of course it does...it exposes the raw material at the top of the rod...as you can see in his 'after' picture...you can see a little oxidation occuring at the top (the orange/red colouration) on the tip of the rod...it's nothing to worry about though.

Of course it does...it exposes the raw material at the top of the rod...as you can see in his 'after' picture...you can see a little oxidation occuring at the top (the orange/red colouration) on the tip of the rod...it's nothing to worry about though.

i have always been curious about chopping from the bottom and using a dye to put the threading back in.

has anyone done this?

i have always been curious about chopping from the bottom and using a dye to put the threading back in.

has anyone done this?

I have made my own pull rods out of 1/4-inch steel rod and threaded at the end. They're not chromed, but pull rods don't get noticed much. You can get a cheap tap-and-die kit from Slave Harbor tools (aka, Harbor Freight Tools) for $10 that will work fine for the soft metals used with drum sets.

I think you're right, though, that it would be better to cut from the bottom and preserve the OEM-finished tip. I like how you did that with the boom arm mod.

Back