My Aquarian Drum Head Experience

twowheelz

Let me say first its good to be here. I Have been a aquarian user for many years. I thought I would try the super kick 2 bass head. I bought it from Explorer Percussion's, local. A week after installing it it started to crack on the outer level. A Week? I'm not a power drummer using the felt side of the beater as well. A bit upset I took it back to the store. To put it lightly I was kicked to the curb. Told there was nothing that can be done. "We don 't know if you did it" I was told. Come on who goes around abusing their equipment? Well I don't. Anyway letting them know how I felt about that deal I came back home. Thinking the patch they talked me in to would have to do. After debating this for awhile I decided to go to Aquarians web site. looking around I noticed there was a super kick 3. Thinking about getting it I came across the Contact Us link. So what the hell. I wrote as many words as I could in the form. And let it go at that. The following day, yesterday, going through my emails here is a response from Aquarian. Call me - from Ron Burns. I thought what do I have to lose. So as it was ringing I was ready for a recording. Nope. Mr. Burns answers. I went on to explain what the deal was and I wasn't at all happy. After explaining to me that they had switched material companies a year ago this item I bought could have been sitting at the stores shelf for a long time making it brittle. So buying this line I asked what can be done since the store wouldn't replace it? He said I'll send you a new one from our new material at no charge. My jaw dropped as I was used to arguing with people to get my money's worth out of my purchase, what ever it was. We talked for some time. Real nice guy. Took all my information and said he would call in a couple weeks to see how I liked it. What a great experience. Also he asked how did it feel to be able to call up a company and be able to talk to the CEO. Huh? Holy crap. That was great! What a down the earth guy and concerned in every way about his customers. Well thats my great experience with a Great company Aquarian Drum heads.

This is one of MANY stories I've heard about Roy Burns himself tending to his customers... it makes me want to try more than the Superkicks (especially since they're not really my thing anymore) simply because I know as far as customer service goes I'll be 100% set.

Roy is The Real Thing.
He is loved and admired in the industry for his hands on approach.

Uncommon in the industry.

VERY Common with Roy and Aquarian. That means 'common' as in practice for Aquarian.

Exceptional
when compared to how most of us are treated in the majority of customer service issues with big boxers and online experiences.

Roy is great and I speak from personal experience.

Jim

Just because of this post, I'll be buying them next time I replace my heads. I will ALWAYS support a company that puts the customer first. And why not, I've been curious about Aquarian for years. I have the Superkick 2 on my kit and it's been wonderful.

This isn't the first time I've heard about Roy Burns doing just this. It really is exceptional customer service and it really shows what a great company can do; even without a dominant market position.

I've called DW Drums often, but have never spoken to John Goode. I wonder if he'd give me the time of day if I asked for him...

This just makes my SKII sound that much better. In fact, same for the Super 2's and Response 2's on my Toms.

Still got the Evans ST on the snare...and looking for an Aquarian DOUBLE ply snare head with some control, but not too much or too dry (like the Evans HD Dry).

Suggestions welcome...

Excellent story!

I took a leap of faith and purchased a Superkick II for the batter side of my 16" bass drum and couldn't be happier indeed. That in tandem with a Remo Fiberskyn PS3 Reso head makes it sound like a canon.

I should look more into their heads to see what options exist.

I had a similar experience with Evans. Bought a spare head online, didn't try using for a few months well outside the return window, had some trouble with it, so I sent Evans an email and boom, they sent me a new head, no hesitation at all. Very happy with their customer service.

Last edited:
Yep, similar thing happened to me awhile back.
My questions on the website weren't that "important" to get a response from the CEO, so I had to call just to see if I would really get to talk with him.
I was surprised when he answered the phone too!
He answered all my questions and gave me very good advice on product selection.
He was in no rush to get me off the phone and when he found out about my Rogers set, was happy to tell me some "back in the day" stories about his time with the company, which was very cool.
You won't see anything but Aquarians on my drums - thanks Mr. Burns!

That must have been great to speak with someone with so much knowledge about Rogers from back when.

Not surprised one bit by your story.

I met Roy many years ago and he was great. He (and the company) really cares about his customers.

So, how is the new head?

That's awesome! Makes me want to try more of their heads. Never tried the Superkick but I just put a coated Aquarian on one of my snares 'cause I remember I had one on there many years ago and the coating lasted forever.

I really wish I liked the sound of the Aquarian heads, because I love stories like this one! It's the right way to do business, in my opinion.

So did you go back to the store and let them know that they could have done that for you. That would have been my first stop. Right to the store manager to give him and his staff a lesson on customer service.

So did you go back to the store and let them know that they could have done that for you. That would have been my first stop. Right to the store manager to give him and his staff a lesson on customer service.

2nd this...not the way to serve your customers

2nd this...not the way to serve your customers

I agree, but a retailer cannot always get the same service from a manufacturer that an end-consumer can. (probably NOT the case with Aquarian, though.) I know this to be true because part of my job is trying to get credit from manufacturers for all the defective product people return to us.

Businesses have to make their own decisions about acceptable loss vs customer service.

Roy is a stand up guy. I've talked to Roy a couple of times about product questions. Glad to hear about you experience. Thanks for sharing.

This is so refreshing to hear. Roy is a stand up guy.

Back