Evans New Black CHROME Heads

Devastator

Hey guys, first time poster here. Just wondering if anyone has used the new black chrome heads and what they think of them? Been debating on trying them out but dont want to waste the money if they arent worth the time it takes to put them on.

Welcome to the forum! I'll let others chime in about their opinions on the sound of the Black Chromes, but I can assure you that it doesn't take long to get the heads on or in tune (nor do any of our Level 360 heads). Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for the deepest, punchy sound. Cheers!

What kind of wood are you working with and what sound are you going for? These heads provide very great tone, they're deep but they are also articulate and give prominent stick definition. They deliver quite a punch as well. I have these equipped on my wenge set, which is a hard, dark, heavy wood and they sing beautifully. They also don't require dampening when tuned properly, there's no nasty overtones or ringing whatsoever. I can easily say these are my favorite heads.

It really depends on the sound you're looking for. If you want really low sounding toms, with no real sustain, then I'm sure you'll love them. I haven't personally tried them, but I've seen some videos and heard some sound clips, and they just sound really dead to me. I want my toms to resonate and my heads to sustain as much as possible, so I would never use them.

To me, heads like these are pretty much go-to heads for people who aren't very good at tuning, because they don't need any dampening. They're already dry enough, so you won't get any of those overtones that can work against you if your drums aren't tuned well. I could see the use of one for a kick drum or something as such, but not for toms or a snare.

I use them on my vintage Sonor kit. To me they sound great. I also used them in a session at a studio and they sounded equally good. I don't think they are dead sounding; I tune my reso heads on that kit to the same tension as the batter head. This gives me maximum sustain.

Well I play on a Spaun Custom Birch kit. They have pins on them now which sound good out of the box but dont have a long life. Ive played for 18 years and am pretty good at tuning. The sound I like is a bit darker with great attack but still resonating enough to truly appreciate the sound of the wood.

For a birch shelled kit that might be the case. I play Evans G1's or G2's on my S Classix birch kit. For them to really sing they like the single ply heads (G1 or Ambassador).

My vintage kit I have them on is a hybrid. Yes it is birch shelled but the top bearing edges are a round over and bottoms are a 45. I get a lot of shell sound this way and hence to my ears I dont feel they deaden the sound. I also use clear G1 (Ambassador) reso heads.

In the case of the studio they manipulate the sound so much that I would not really call it fair to base them off of just that. To me they sound like a wamer version of the Evans G14.

For my main maple shelled kit I used coated G2's over clear G1's. Usually I buy a few heads of any given brand and try them out on a single drum first. There are some combinations that I admit will work better than others. All depends on the application, bearing edge, shell material and so forth.

There are 4 or 5 threads about them already, a serach will yield lots of info.

I tried them on my touring toms last year, and thought they sounded great. If you're concerned about how heads look after a little playing, you won't like the fact that they show every stick mark. Never bothered me though. :)

Bermuda

Back