MY SET-UP

K guys. I'm rocking my 2nd kit at this point. I've had it a year and in total have been drumming 3 years. I still have some of my starting equiptment.

this is a picture of them.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125/sk8erpnkmt369/l_809c86a2312f4cfb9cff59978ae2d002.jpg

It's a PDP X7 kit. Which i made a partial mistake in buying. For the price I should have gotton the 805's with the birch wood but, yeah I just HAD to have 5 toms, which as you can tell from this picture I don't use, but i admit it is nice of having that option. And i took out the stock snare and slapped on a nice chad smith sig snare o
n there

any how.

as far as cymbals I have a 16" and 18" sabian XS 20 medium thin crashes, a paiste 101 22" ride and 14" hats, and a 6" zil bell, also an 18" wuhan china.

pretty amature cymbals but I've just been having to buy other things lately due to different reasons as such my guitarist a while back didn't have her own amp, we didn't have a p/a, stuff like that.

But Im ready to start getting a bit more professional and starting to make upgrades. i automatically changed the heads to the clear EC2's then after find these evans coated head I don't think I'll ever go back, because i really love that warm sound they have to them.

but seriously suggestions. And if you suggest cymbals for me, stick in the sabian family. That's my perfered brand

K guys. I'm rocking my 2nd kit at this point. I've had it a year and in total have been drumming 3 years. I still have some of my starting equiptment.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125/sk8erpnkmt369/l_809c86a2312f4cfb9cff59978ae2d002.jpg

It's a PDP X7 kit. Which i made a partial mistake in buying. For the price I should have gotton the 805's with the birch wood but, yeah I just HAD to have 5 toms, which as you can tell from this picture I don't use, but i admit it is nice of having that option. And i took out the stock snare and slapped on a nice chad smith sig snare o
n there

any how.

as far as cymbals I have a 16" and 18" sabian XS 20 medium thin crashes, a paiste 101 22" ride and 14" hats, and a 6" zil bell, also an 18" wuhan china.

pretty amature cymbals but I've just been having to buy other things lately due to different reasons as such my guitarist a while back didn't have her own amp, we didn't have a p/a, stuff like that.

But Im ready to start getting a bit more professional and starting to make upgrades. i automatically changed the heads to the clear EC2's then after find these evans coated head I don't think I'll ever go back, because i really love that warm sound they have to them.

but seriously suggestions. And if you suggest cymbals for me, stick in the sabian family. That's my perfered brand

nice kit!!! I actually saw this kit and has a beautiful look to it... as far as cymbals go, it depends on your style of music. The AA or AAX series you cant go wrong. if you're into metal, go for AA rock crashes... they will last you a lifetime. but they are loud and its not an instant loudness, its gradual but fast, not immediate. I am 250 pound drummer and had mine for 12 years and I play metal, and i hammer the shite out of my cymbals, not even keyholed so gives you an idea.

Nice looking kit, I like the finish.

Sabian AA or AAX like was mentioned above. Zildjian A series, A customs just really depends on the sound YOU want.

I use this same kit [same color too] as my gigging kit, and it sounds pretty good with G2 Coated over g1 Clears.

As for your cymbals, what are you looking for in your sound?

nice kit!!! I actually saw this kit and has a beautiful look to it... as far as cymbals go, it depends on your style of music. The AA or AAX series you cant go wrong. if you're into metal, go for AA rock crashes... they will last you a lifetime. but they are loud and its not an instant loudness, its gradual but fast, not immediate. I am 250 pound drummer and had mine for 12 years and I play metal, and i hammer the shite out of my cymbals, not even keyholed so gives you an idea.

thanks alot dude.

Im def into some good ol metal. But then again I switch up and play the blues and all of that too. I was indeed checking out the aax and hhx. so those look like good candidates right now

I use this same kit [same color too] as my gigging kit, and it sounds pretty good with G2 Coated over g1 Clears.

As for your cymbals, what are you looking for in your sound?

really crisp for a ride. and it has to have a really nice bell because i play alot of metal and really pound that thing out. also for the cymbals I want this very big surrounding sound that can you can just hit it and get that huge sound but also just strike it and it still have really flashy shimmers

Cool kit man, grats :D !
The bass is a bit too small for me though, I prefer them B.I.G. ^^.

Love the colour ^^ !

n there

any how.

Hey Sk8erpnk,

Lookin' good behind those PDP's!
Love the finish. Very cool.
I think you did ok with the drums.
I like the fact that you've already realized that just because you have a whole bunch of drums, doesn't neccessarily mean you have to play a whole bunch of drums, all at the same time.
...yeah, you're hired. =)

My suggestion for "upgrading" would be in the cymbal department.
A very wise drummer once noted that you can play "nice" cymbals on a "not-so-nice" kit, but not the other way around.

Start saving for AA's and HH's.

Elvis

Hey Sk8erpnk,

Lookin' good behind those PDP's!
Love the finish. Very cool.
I think you did ok with the drums.
I like the fact that you've already realized that just because you have a whole bunch of drums, doesn't neccessarily mean you have to play a whole bunch of drums, all at the same time.
...yeah, you're hired. =)

A very wise drummer once noted that you can play "nice" cymbals on a "not-so-nice" kit, but not the other way around.

Elvis

that's one everyone seems to tell me around here. I take it as they're right.
My next investments are the ride and hihat. then crashes and so on

thanx man

~matt~

really crisp for a ride. and it has to have a really nice bell because i play alot of metal and really pound that thing out. also for the cymbals I want this very big surrounding sound that can you can just hit it and get that huge sound but also just strike it and it still have really flashy shimmers

Sounds like you want AAX-plosions!

aaxcelerators are what you want in a hi hat my drum teacher has em they are and he hits hard hes had em years so will last.

i like my aa rbdr for a ride but i havent had much experience with metal rides since im not a metal player but the ride will do it

Elvis said:

that's one everyone seems to tell me around here. I take it as they're right.
My next investments are the ride and hihat. then crashes and so on

thanx man

~matt~
Not a problem.
That's what these forums are for and I'm more than glad to have helped you in your quest to be the best drummer you can possibly be.

It seems you've already proved the cymbal concept to yourself, considering the comments you made about your current cymbal setup in your initial post in this thread.

Concerning that aspect, if you'd like some direction, I'll share something with you that I took from a famous Jazz drummer named Max Roach, but first a little insight into the Sabian cymbal company.

Sabian used to be the Canadian branch of Zildjian. In fact, members of the Zildjian family still run that company.
The HH is what used to be known as the Canadian branded K.Zildjian cymbal.
The AA is what used to be known as the Canadian branded A.Zildjian cymbal.
Remember that...now onto Max Roach.

Roach is (partly) known for his "experiementation" with cymbals.
One of his early setups was to use a K ride with an A crash and make the hat setup a combination of those two lines - a K top over an A bottom.
The idea was to have the darker cymbal the ride, so that it would "lie" under the rest of the band easier, yet the "pulse" (as they used to call the "beat") would still be there.
The brighter cymbal was then allowed to add colour and it would stand out a little more "prominently" against the darker sounding cymbal, giving the accents a little more "oomph".
The hats, being the other timekeeper within the cymbal setup, kept a lot of the characteristics of the ride, giving them a sort of "sameness", but because the brighter A series cymbal was used with it, it was a little brighter.
Roach used to say using the A under the K gave the hats a little "lift", sonically.

Keeping that in mind, maybe you could create your own setup using an HH ride with some AA crashes and make up your own hats based on an HH top over an AA bottom.

WHICH models, within those lines, that you use, is up to you (and Sabian makes a plethora of models within each of those lines).

So take some time and do a little investigating.
Take a look at what those lines offer and see which ones apply to your taste and what you're using them for.
Also, don't exclude the varients of those lines, the HHX and AAX series cymbals.

So there you go. Just a suggestion.
Good luck and when you get the new setup, post some pics and tell us a little about how and why you ended up with what you did.

Elvis

Nice kit! Cool finish....good pics ...

but...

Belongs in the YOUR PLACE forums ...

Elvis has given you some really sage advice as to how to identify your cymbal sound. Not bad for a guy with a mouthful of fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

...thankyou, thankyouverymuch. =)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fussion,

Why do you say that?
The guys asking for advice on his kit...just like everyone else does at these forums.

Elvis

Back