Hello, My Name is Baz and I am a Gear-o-holic...

baz

Silver Member
...I just can't live without gear-o-hol.

First of all, I want to appologize to my fellow gear-o-holics for the smug, superior attitude that began to take hold of me during my short lived attempt at gear hoarding self restraint. I laughed that evil laugh at you my brothers and sisters and your weakness while reading your "I didn't mean to buy all this stuff" threads. Of course I was in denial, even going so far as to try selling two of my kits, one on consignment, the other through a local internet buy and sell. Karma, being that great cruel equalizer was about to expose me for the gear whore that I am.

It was around this time last year that my favorite local drum shop brought in a DW classic five piece one up two down poplar/mahogany/maple monster, dressed seductively in what I call beige marine pearl. These drums would whisper to me siren like every time I passed them. Unlike Odysseus, or the sailors of the Odyssey, there was no need to fill my ears with wax, or lash myself to the mast, as the price was enough to keep me away.

That began to change a few months ago when they adjusted the price to where it began to orbit planet reality. Whispers turned to shouts, shouts turned to full blown megaphones, and claxon horns untill the deafening roar completely eroded what was left of my nearly non existant self control. I looked to the Angel on my right for that last voice of reason, but she was looking through my work schedule to see how much overtime I would need to make this happen. No help was forth coming. I was going to post a should I or shouldn't I thread on here, but I was afraid that somebody would actually talk me off of the ledge. Once again, no help was forth coming.

Yesterday I collected the tiger ash kit that I had on cosignement, and accidently stopped at the other shop, accidently letting it slip that I would be interested in a posible trade, all of this by accident of course. Long story short, today a deal was worked out, and on Friday I go to pick up four out of five of my new drums. Due to a lack of shop space, all but the 12x8 tom are in their wharehouse. As I write, the 12x8 is sitting on my kit, as I could not wait to get it home, and give it a bit of a test drive.

On first hit, it was aural sex.

Pictures and more to follow.

Barry

Its OK!!! dont buy anything for 1month and you're off the hook :p. I want pics of this kit :)

Barry, that one of the nicest posts I read in a while. You are a literally a literary genius.

As long as it turns you on without getting you into trouble.. don't hold back bud.

Lets see pix.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the pics. The DW Classics are my dream kit! I'm a sucker for traditional sizes and pearl wrap finishes. Would also love to hear a sound clip of your new kit. I'm very curious to hear the sound of the poplar/mahogany shells. Congrats!

...G'day, Hola, Namaste', but most of all, thank you.

I am working night shift untill Friday morning, so I have to wait a few days before I pick up the rest of the kit. My dearly beloved is not too happy with me at the moment, so a peace offering may be required to placate the angry Wife goddess.

A quick first impression. Over the years I have developed a taste for a big, warm boomy sound from my rack toms, prefering a 13" with a 12 being a minimum. With the collectors toms, I get the warmth and the boom, but it is more near fild, with less projection. This classic 12x8 has more projection, as well as the boom. I have to play with this a little more to see what it can do.

This drum is heavier than the 12x8" collector, which probably helps to explain the added projection.

Once I get the rest of the kit home, I will tinker around with them, and try to get help from someone more computer savy than myself regarding sound files.

In the meantime. If I can not appease she who must be obayed, the deal could still fall through.

Once again, thank you for your kind words of encouragement and support.

Barry

In the meantime. If I can not appease she who must be obayed, the deal could still fall through.

Ha! If the "wife goddess" doesn't accept your offering, then you will have set the forum's unwritten rule of "If there are no pics, then there are no drums" on its ear. For you may be the first to have pics of new gear in your possesion and end up not having the new gear. That would be sad. If it were not in such poor taste, I would offer to help appease your "wife goddess" myself, but I am nothing if not tasteless...er...I mean tasteful so I will refrain from offering my services;-)

LOL! great post, i laughed so hard i cried! the finish looks sweet and boy do i feel your pain - i just don't take my credit card to the drum shop anymore ;-)

If it were not in such poor taste, I would offer to help appease your "wife goddess" myself, but I am nothing if not tasteless...er...I mean tasteful so I will refrain from offering my services;-)

...you are not fooling anyone.

You just want to use her to get at my drum room.

Wife goddess is going on a "chick trip" to the heart of the Canadian Rockies with a bus load of other Wife goddesses. I told her that she could pack herself in mud at the spa, and eat in resuarants that do not serve their food on styrofoam as a minor offering. In an earlier time, that would have been scoring brownie points. I have learned that brownie points are almost as useless as air miles in that when you really need them, you never have enough.

I have also learned that taking the "yeah, so what if I did" approach works, although it leads to sleeping with one eye open for a week or so afterwords.

The deal is about 99.99% done.

Barry

It's ok Baz, you are a gear - 0 - holic and there is NO CURE. You have done well my son. Just keep on buying beautiful drum kits and post them here for us mear mortals to drool over. Love your work Baz !!!!

Would you mind articulating the nature of the 'peace offering'?

I sure many of us here, including me won't mind some helpful pointers about how to deal with those moments that we all live through when we first express our desires sheepishly and plead our case to 'SHE'.

( who must be obayed. )

It's ok Baz, you are a gear - 0 - holic and there is NO CURE. You have done well my son. Just keep on buying beautiful drum kits and post them here for us mear mortals to drool over. Love your work Baz !!!!

...G'day and Thank you Crusto.

The thing that I have always liked about working night shift are the good people of the upside down continent who goof of at work and keep me company on the drum boards.

Last kit I bought was supposed to be the last kit I was buying.

This kit is supposed to be my last kit. I don't even have the damn thing home yet and already the devil on my left is telling me that I am just a 20x14" bass drum and 13x9" tom away from yet another kit. As evil plans go, I could space them out one at a time and not have Wife goddess know.

Two summers ago I bought a used Ludwig fab 4 reissue when my dearly beloved was away in Montreal. I never told her that I bought the kit, nor did I try to hide it, but I gave her the money that I got when I sold it. She does not know my drum inventory, so as long as they are more or less the same finish, they are all the same to her.

I would say that in less than a month I will be scratching my head wondering why I have so much stuff, and why the heck do I need it. Then I will find some other too good to pass on deal, and wonder how up to this point was I able to live without it.

I am beginning to think that I was fathered by Imelda Marcos.

Barry

Would you mind articulating the nature of the 'peace offering'?

I sure many of us here, including me won't mind some helpful pointers about how to deal with those moments that we all live through when we first express our desires sheepishly and plead our case to 'SHE'.

( who must be obayed. )

...Namaste" my Friend.

We have an expression here at work that it is better to ask for forgivness than to beg for permission.

Peace offerings come in many shapes and sizes, depending on the nature of the conflict. Most involve food, lodging, and, or, travel without children. In extreme cases, bling may be required, "cough, Kobe Bryant, cough".

I am very fortunate that a lot of my balding, pot bellied friends are buying Harleys, or looking for 67-70 Mustangs on e-bay. A few motorcycle brochures hiding in plain site makes a drum purchase look a lot less extravagant. Wife goddess in her infinite wisdom knows that in the midst of a midlife crisis, if I am banging on drums, I am not as likely to look at banging........not drums.

Hope this helps.

Barry

...it's always that .001%.

The deal is dead.

No need to say any more.

Barry

Baz,
A little late to the show, and I was getting all excited for you and your new kit. Say it ain't so Joe. Those classics, and the jazz series, are the best drums that DW are making right now. So sorry to see that the deal fell through.

Back