Is it just me, or is this a load of bull?

zap1789

So I stumbled across this yesterday...

luglock2.jpg

It's called a Lug Lock, and according to the website, it keeps your drum in tune by locking the lug (go figure.)

"Simply thumb press over a tension rod head with a corner touching the rim. You spend all that time and effort tuning them, so why would you let that sound just slip away? Play with confidence knowing your sound will be consistent song after song, night after night."

Now, I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, the amount of tuning lost from the actual lugs loosening would be minimal compared to factors such as temperature and stretching of the drum heads...

Am I right?

Or am I misguided?

Your thoughts?

You are partly right I guess.
A (snare) drum can also detune from rim shots. The lug lock will fix that problem.
It seems that tuning accuracy is limited to 1/4 turns as one of the lug lock 'washer's' side needs to be parallel with the hoop . This is not acceptable to me.

Definitely not bull. Rimshots will detune a snare drum pretty quickly (some snares detune more quickly than others), which is why there are quite a few different products out there that will combat this.

Lug locks is one of the most common ones. Other alternatives are Lockerz (basically a more extreme way to lock the tension rod in place) and Tightscrews (a tension rod with nylon inserts)

My main snare detunes very easily (I play constant rimshot backbeats), so I've equipped it with Lockerz all around the drum. Works very well.

I dunno. Lug Lock's been around since 1980. For them to have stayed in business this long, and still be used by so many people, it must be at least a halfway valid idea. To some extent, advances in lug and tuning rod technology have made them less common, and if you have a higher-end snare drum, yes, they may be unnecessary.

Rods definitely loosen, and Lug Locks is one of several solutions offered for the problem.

I've always used thumbnuts - Pearl and Ludwig offer them - but they put a lot of stress on the rods, and the inserts. I switched to Tightscrew a few years ago, and they're excellent.

While in Australia last year, I had a backline kit and needed to lock the rods on the snare. I went to Allan's in Sydney and bought a pack of Lug Locks, and they failed miserably, spinning with the rod as it loosened. This was a Black Beauty snare, a pretty common drum without any extreme design issues that might cause the Lug Lock not to grip. It simply didn't work.

The next day, I went into another shop and got the Pearl thumbnuts, which of course worked perfectly.

But on my own snares, I use Tightscrews.

Bermuda

You are partly right I guess.
A (snare) drum can also detune from rim shots.

Definitely not bull. Rimshots will detune a snare drum pretty quickly (some snares detune more quickly than others), which is why there are quite a few different products out there that will combat this.

Ahhh, I knew there must have been something I was missing. It didn't occur to me that rim shots would de-tune the drum. Of course. I guess it makes sense now.
Surely though, this wouldn't help if there were changes in temperature though, right?

While in Australia last year, I had a backline kit and needed to lock the rods on the snare. I went to Allan's in Sydney and bought a pack of Lug Locks, and they failed miserably, spinning with the rod as it loosened. This was a Black Beauty snare, a pretty common drum without any extreme design issues that might cause the Lug Lock not to grip. It simply didn't work.

Yeah, Lug Locks proved useless on my Black Beauty as well. Must be something about the hoop design.

I've used the luglocks on a DW Collectors and Tama Artwood snare. They will eventually spin with the rod. Most of them would not press up tight against the rim, and you definitely can't use them on the bass drum.

Let me pass on something that the honorable Bill Bachman shared with me. He uses stainless steel nuts that you can get at the local hardware store. They might work like the Pearl thumbnuts that bermuda described. After you tune your head, you just tighten them down against the lug and you're locked in. They're only about 5 cents a piece and you can still feel the tension in your tension rods when you turn them if you use that as a tuning aid. I've had mine on every lug for about 6 months, and they're still locked. You will have to carry a small wrench though in your drum case in case you need to change heads on the road.

Let me pass on something that the honorable Bill Bachman shared with me. He uses stainless steel nuts that you can get at the local hardware store. They might work like the Pearl thumbnuts that bermuda described. After you tune your head, you just tighten them down against the lug and you're locked in. They're only about 5 cents a piece and you can still feel the tension in your tension rods when you turn them if you use that as a tuning aid. I've had mine on every lug for about 6 months, and they're still locked. You will have to carry a small wrench though in your drum case in case you need to change heads on the road.

That's a great idea!

Oh man, that is a brilliant idea.

Oh man, that is a brilliant idea.

I've used the luglocks on a DW Collectors and Tama Artwood snare. They will eventually spin with the rod. Most of them would not press up tight against the rim, and you definitely can't use them on the bass drum.

Yeah it would probably look better too lol. I cringe at the thought of a bunch of white plastic squares all over the top of my hoops. Plus you see the price for a bag of those? Like 3 or $4.99 for a bag of 12?? 12 little plastic squares!! That's friggin insane! That's already $10 just to do my snare drum! Granted if you only plan to use these on the snare then it's not so bad.

Although I personally wouldn't use these. For one I don't play live shows constantly and for two I like retuning my drums when ever I can or feel like it. It's sort of relaxing to tune them up, try different tuning methods etc. I like working with drums and learning about them so it's not a bother to tune them or keep them tuned quite a bit.

Last edited:
Although I personally wouldn't use these. For one I don't play live shows constantly and for two I like retuning my drums when ever I can or feel like it. It's sort of relaxing to tune them up, try different tuning methods etc. I like working drums and learning about them so it's not a bother to tune them or keep them tuned quite a bit.

That's probably a very beneficial way of looking at things...

That's probably a very beneficial way of looking at things...

Yeah for sure. Don't get me wrong, the practicality of these types of products is valid and if made well will work. I just personally find tuning enjoyable lol and can see this being more benificial for those who play more than they have time to tune their drums like after every show / practice.

Lug Lock work and do what they say.

I only stopped using them because they do wear out after a while.

I can see that. Mainly popping them off and on for what ever reason and maybe even the corners becoming rounded just a bit that allows them to slip.

I have tried a few of the products out there but found I like rhythm tech's index tuners the best.
http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/acc/acc_pages/it.php

Tard, I have to say, the stuff you post here is pure gold. I really look forward to your posts. You're a real knowledgeable fellow. Never knew about these. I want to check them out, but I play DW drums which use the 32 TPI tuning rods. I wonder if they make them for DW.
Thanks again for the good info.

I have tried a few of the products out there but found I like rhythm tech's index tuners the best.
http://www.rhythmtech.com/products/acc/acc_pages/it.php

Yes! I use those too!

Best product to prevent slippage I've ever found. They are a bit expensive, so I only use them on my snare, and only in the area when my stick hits the rim. But they work great and (so far) have lasted me years and years without wearing out.

I can see that. Mainly popping them off and on for what ever reason and maybe even the corners becoming rounded just a bit that allows them to slip.

Exactly, the corners get rounded after a while. Particularly when your taking them on and off to change a head.

Tard, I have to say, the stuff you post here is pure gold. I really look forward to your posts. You're a real knowledgeable fellow. Never knew about these. I want to check them out, but I play DW drums which use the 32 TPI tuning rods. I wonder if they make them for DW.

Thanks Larry, unfortunately I think they only come in the standard 24 tpi but Canopus's makes "bolt tight" not quite as good as the index tuners IMO but at least they will fit on any tension rod and do not limit you to only 4 positions like "lockers" and "lug locks". The tight screws are not bad but I find them a bit stiff and I believe only come in standard thread as well plus if your gonna replace the tension rods with them you might as well go with the index tuners, Like D.E.D was saying they are a little more money but you really only need them on the top of your snares.

http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/otherproducts/item/bolttight/index.html

MY bad, just checked the tight screws web site and you can get them for DW "true pitch" 32 tpi

From FAQ section of: http://tightscrew.com/faqs.htm

Will TightScrews fit my drums?

TightScrews will fit most American and Japanese drums. TightScrews will fit pre-1995 DW drums with 12-24 threads, and DW and Pacific Drums with "Truepitch" threads (supplied after late 1994). Be sure to specify DW rods for drums fitted with Truepitch (fine) threads.

Last edited:

That's a good idea.

I have used Tightscrews since 2006 on my entire set, reso and batter heads, bass drum, toms and snare, and I love them. Quick and easy and absolutely reliable.

No such thing as 32 TPI... Not in UNF threads anyway... I would bet DW is using metric, something probably in the neighborhood of 6x1.0mm Usually a standard SAE tuning rod is a #12x28 (thats about 3/16" diameter/28 TPI) Metric varies, I have seen both 6mm and 7mm both in 0.75 and 1.0 thread pitches.

Back