Looking to get my first drum kit, not sure if I should go electric or acoustic

jco5055

Hey all, I'm a guitarist who has decided that he would like to learn the drums. However, I am not sure exactly how I should go about making my first purchase.

First off, my budget is right around 500 dollars, however I would prefer to possibly spend closer to 300 dollars at the most.

Also, I am going to be a junior in college this fall so I am living in an apartment. Now, I could definitely fit a standard sized kit no problem, the only thing to consider is 1) I have to be able to transport the kit there, and 2) My apartment is set up more like a hotel/ dorm style, so I obviously can't make too much noise. There is really no way for me to find out if an acoustic set can be muffled enough (Not counting with practice pads) through the walls until I would actually be able to move in and ask my next door neighbors how bad it is. Also, my old band's practice place was the other guitarist's apt, and the drums were muffled enough when you stood outside his main door in the hallway but he lived at the end of the hall and the wall next to the drum kit does not connect to another apartment.

So could someone recommend the best way to find a cheap yet decent drum kit, and if an electronic or acoustic set would be better for my needs? Is an electronic kit not compare to an acoustic when it comes to learning how to properly play drums?

3-500 is not much when buying either, you would have better luck finding an acoustic used in that range but you might get lucky and find a used electric in that range. IMO electric is better to learn on because you can use headphones and not worry about who you are bothering and and most have a built in metronome, they don't have the same feel as acoustic but the no noise trade off is worth it for someone in your situation, you simply cant muffle acoustic enough sometimes. I would stick with Roland if you can on electric.

Definitely go with an acoustic for your first kit. You have to learn to get the feel of *real* drums in order to learn properly. I have an electronic kit (Roland TD-4) and I can't stand it. My first kit was a cheap acoustic and it was great, but i decided to go electronic. Bad choice. I'm trying to buy another acoustic ASAP. Search craigslist, you get the best deals on beginner sets there. You can always get pads to put on your acoustic, too.

Hey all, I'm a guitarist who has decided that he would like to learn the drums. However, I am not sure exactly how I should go about making my first purchase.

First off, my budget is right around 500 dollars, however I would prefer to possibly spend closer to 300 dollars at the most.

Also, I am going to be a junior in college this fall so I am living in an apartment. Now, I could definitely fit a standard sized kit no problem, the only thing to consider is 1) I have to be able to transport the kit there, and 2) My apartment is set up more like a hotel/ dorm style, so I obviously can't make too much noise. There is really no way for me to find out if an acoustic set can be muffled enough (Not counting with practice pads) through the walls until I would actually be able to move in and ask my next door neighbors how bad it is. Also, my old band's practice place was the other guitarist's apt, and the drums were muffled enough when you stood outside his main door in the hallway but he lived at the end of the hall and the wall next to the drum kit does not connect to another apartment.

So could someone recommend the best way to find a cheap yet decent drum kit, and if an electronic or acoustic set would be better for my needs? Is an electronic kit not compare to an acoustic when it comes to learning how to properly play drums?

since you're living in an apartment it would be more practical to get an electronic set.however i personally wouldnt care and just get an acoustic.anyway if you get an electronic try to get the new yamaha's-their pads are the most realistic yet.other rubber pads give too much shock and are too hard and mesh pads are too unrealistic and bouncy.yamaha's are pricey though. so if you cant buy yamahas i really recommend you get an acoustic kit.

i own both an acoustic and electronic and while electronic is fun in it's own way and is obv quiet,you really get injuries very fast.blisters,calluses,aching hands.the shock from the pads is very annoying. using zildjian's anti-vibe sticks dont even help.also,you will turn into a weaker(physical strength/hand technique) player if you get an electronic kit because it feels nothing like a real kit.

an acoustic gives you a real drum experience and you can bring it out to play when you gig outside etc.

they both have their advantages-
acoustic-obviously they are real drums and you can buy the cymbals you want,the drumheads etc and experiment.it will help you most to mature as a player.you can do so much more with a drum than a rubber pad.you can use pads/cloth etc to mute but then you might as well just use an electronic.
electronic-tons of sound samples and different kits,great for recording/MIDI etc,can play you ipod easily and also add you own sounds/samples.a very unique experience in terms of the whole interface.

want to be a better player-acoustic.need the volume to be low/work with computers alot-electronic

Hey guys OP here, thanks for the replies so far. So far I'm thinking of getting an acoustic kit, and probably just going to look through craigslist. However, I was wondering, is there some kind of equivalent to practice pads for cymbals?

The big question ... are you a guitar player, who still wants to be a guitar player .... and wants to take up drums on the side? ... or ... do you truly want to become a drummer?​
If you truly want to become a drummer, get a practice pad ... get a teacher .... your teacher will recommend you to some books ... and eventually you'll work yourself up, and into a drumset. In the meantime, save up some more cash .... hang out with "other" drummers, get a little into the local scene, make friends, look for deals, keep on hanging out here, generally "learn the ropes", so to speak ...​
If, on the other hand, you wanna remain a guitar player, get a used e-kit. You should be able to score something for $500 (maybe less). My 14 year old nephew found a Yamaha on Craigs List, full kit, amp, headphones, throne, ... the works ... for $500. The economy bites and the deals are out there.​

The big question ... are you a guitar player, who still wants to be a guitar player .... and wants to take up drums on the side? ... or ... do you truly want to become a drummer?​
If you truly want to become a drummer, get a practice pad ... get a teacher .... your teacher will recommend you to some books ... and eventually you'll work yourself up, and into a drumset. In the meantime, save up some more cash .... hang out with "other" drummers, get a little into the local scene, make friends, look for deals, keep on hanging out here, generally "learn the ropes", so to speak ...​
If, on the other hand, you wanna remain a guitar player, get a used e-kit. You should be able to score something for $500 (maybe less). My 14 year old nephew found a Yamaha on Craigs List, full kit, amp, headphones, throne, ... the works ... for $f500. The economy bites and the deals are out there.​

I definitely feel that I want to become a drummer. I'm a pretty good guitarist (I can play dream theater/shred songs etc) but to truly reach pro level, I would have to practice a lot, like 8 hours a day or so. I also have only written like 1 song, improvising/creating on the instrument doesn't come naturally for me. However, if someone plays me a riff or I listen to a powertab, I can instantly come up with drum stuff in my head. Also, I went over to my friend's place who's a drummer, and I instantly came up with the basic rock beat (think intro to living after midnight), and within a half hour of ever playing the drums I learned how to play the Tom Sawyer intro from my friend; also even now being able to recognize what is being played on the drums aurally (you know, like I can recognize hi hat/snare/toms/bass drums) I can usually air drum correctly to any song on my ipod, as long as it isn't too fast for me right now. For example I could air drum perfectly to the "verse" of La Villa Strangiato. I truly feel that drums are the most natural for me.

Also I was thinking of getting a full/5-piece kit if possible, and then buying this: http://www.drummingsystem.com. Would this be a good idea?

I reccomend going to Musiciansfriend.com and pickin' up the D2 drum set by ddrum. It's a basic five piece. Two mounted toms and a floor tom. Comes with a crappy crash ride, and crappy hi-hats, but you have everything you need to learn on.

These are also decent sounding kits if you tune them right. And later down the road if you decide you want to upgrade, for 200 dollars you can get a floor tom and rack tom upgrade for it.

I highly reccomend this kit to any beginner, or anyone that wants a GOOD cheap drumset. I consider the D2s the best beginner kit you can buy that has everything. They blow Pulse and Sound Percussion away in quality.

They go for about 400 bucks. Then I think the ad-on is like 170 somethin'

Sonor Safari kit with Sound Off pads ...

It's a kit you will always want to keep even if you get a bigger kit later.

Sonor Safari kit with Sound Off pads ...

It's a kit you will always want to keep even if you get a bigger kit later.

1) Do they come in a rock formation? All I've seen are bop formations.

2) Are there any other drum series out there that also do smaller scale kits?

1) Do they come in a rock formation? All I've seen are bop formations.

Not exacly sure what you mean by "rock formation" ... unless that means having two mounted toms? I think most would say a four piece is just as valid
for rock as any configuration. Actually check out Dan Cornelius with the hard drivin band ... DANKO JONES ... he uses no rack toms at all.

Dan_Cornelius_1.jpg

Not exacly sure what you mean by "rock formation" ... unless that means having two mounted toms? I think most would say a four piece is just as valid
for rock as any configuration. Actually check out Dan Cornelius with the hard drivin band ... DANKO JONES ... he uses no rack toms at all.

Dan_Cornelius_1.jpg

The two toms is exactly what I mean.

Well, for your difficult situation I would honestly wait till you had more money and just get a practice pad kit. Although to fix your problem about space, and portability I would recommend either a Jungle or Cocktail Drum kit.

Jungle: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/2432924790.html (Sonor force are great Jungle kits, although you would have to ask if he would be willing to ship, or search around locally!)

Cocktail: http://cgi.ebay.com/Manhattan-Cockt...117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2311a90dad (The only used kit I could find that's full)

Or the suggestion this user said is great as well!
Also, is anyone familiar with this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/traps-drums-a400-portable-acoustic-drum-set

I know it is $600, but first I would shop around and then I would pay the extra 100 dollars if it's as good as it says it is.

Also, Electric drum kits are expensive and do not give you the full effect. Honestly I hate them, so I can't give you advice there.

Good luck! :)

-Pacman

Also, Electric drum kits are expensive and do not give you the full effect. Honestly I hate them, so I can't give you advice there.

Agree 100%. They're great for a while, then you realize how many amazing things are missing and how you can't do the cool little things you could do on a real kit..

Back