DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

SOMEONE HAVE ANY ADVICE 4 me with the double pedal , im so scared well nervous that i wont get the hang of it, ANY ADVICE????..my left foot sucks compared to my right cuz i have been playing set with single bass for 7 years, so my lrft foot is like WHATS GOING ON![/

start real slow, and know that your feet won't be flying anytime soon so be patient. a metronome helps alot with control just like with your hands. just take it easy and expeirament with spring tensions, pedal board height and even the distance the beater is from the head. sometimes seat height is a factor too. even though your left foot sucks right now you can still distinguish compfort. so get compfortable first. good luck!

I STARTED PLAYING WHEN I WAS 12 I AM NOW 20 GOING ON 21...NOW I HAVE WANTED TO EXPAND MY SKILL AND TRY OUT THE DOUBLE PEDAL.......I AM GETTING BETTER......I HAVE HAD IT FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS AND I HAVE BEEN PLAYING IN A BAND NOW FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS......DURING PRACTICE I WILL JUST THROW IN SOMTHING AND THEN, IT ALL JUST COMES TO ME.. IT KIND OF JUST POPS INTO YOUR HEAD LIKE HEY STUPID DO THIS.....BUT THAT IS HOW I LEARNED HOW TO PLAY THE DOUBLE BASS AND AM STILL LEARNING............

..............OH YAH AND IF ANYONE HAS A GOOD NAME FOR A BAND I AM OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS..............

keyboard4.jpg

i know thomas land discusess mulitiple foot pedal technique in his video,

and on the megadeath drummer video (on this site, cant remember his name) does double bass and hihat at the same time.

how do you guy use left foot pedal and hihat. i have been trying using my toe on the hihat and my heel on the double pedal.

can u get special clutches for this problem

A few years ago i bought a double bass pedal and used it for about a month. Then i broke my leg, my primary leg. After i got off all the pain killers i started playing with my weak leg as primary for 3 months until i got my cast off. Well i was amazed how much easier it was to play than before, almost like the second pedal was just natural and i didnt have to think about it, i just played.

nutha

is your mini hi hats on a cable, or just a clutch(locked in)

that tama thing looks pretty complex

mr_hayward_99 said:
how do you guy use left foot pedal and hihat. i have been trying using my toe on the hihat and my heel on the double pedal.

You can split your foot up however you want to. It's a function of your imagination and your determination to thoroughly explore your ideas.

In the late 1980s, I saw a guy named Richard Hormachea in San Antonio do what you described . He was able to maintain straight 8ths with his toes on the hats, and do the offbeats with his heel on a Zalmer double pedal. Likewise, he would close the hats with his toes, play sticks on the hats, and do complicated drum machine patterns on the double pedal, without screwing up the groove. A very, very, bad man.

The Zalmer was nowhere near as responsive as the Axis and DW 900 pedals we have today.

I took it a little further, learning how to bark the hats over 16th note double pedal roll. But that's one of those things, like a one handed roll, that's nice to have down, but it's not a large part of what the music asks me to do.

Hi Everybody! THis is the best educational drum site in the world. My contribution , a few videos showing soloing over odd time multipedal ostinatos , plus an explanation of the double stroke roll with the bass drum. Hope you enjoy these ... http://www.edrums.gr/video2.html
Panos-Greece

Intricate Control w/Double Pedal

first off, this is not a question regarding speed, so dont ignore it. we all know speed comes with time and practice, no way around it. If your dedicated and committed to it, and put all u got forth, then u will eventually get faster.
THIS QUESTION is regarding control with the double pedal. I'm hoping to play more intricate patterns with my feet. Not constant 16ths or 32nds at 180bpm i get bored. ive been playing double pedal for about 8 weeks now and what i would like to know is what is the best way to acheive a higher level of variety? Syncopation is one of them. Rudiments is another. Is there any beats or exercises that you guys have found very useful in breaking that plateau? And if anyone could recommend a band and/or songs that would help me improve my control please post it.

thanks guys, take care

jay

Re: Intricate Control w/Double Pedal

CHRIS ADLER IS MY FAVOURITE DRUMMER IN THE WORLD! hes such an inspirational person, great role model. Hes got a great attitude to drumming. I have MDFest 05 and lamb of god dvds.. listen to what he says!

thanks dude, PERFECT ANSWER! :)

Re: Intricate Control w/Double Pedal

A drummer who i think uses some very interesting double-bass patterns is Dan Foord from the band Sikth. He is a really ace drummer. Its pretty crazy music, and pretty ridiculous vocals, but i like it, and the drumming is exactly what you are looking for.
go on http://www.myspace.com/sikth and listen to "skies of millenium night"

Re: Ankle-twitching?

The ankle twitching is usally only for speed. and most of the time you cant controll the bass very good.
When your twitching your useing the bounce off the bass drum and its better not to use the bass and actuly use your foot to get all the bass shots in. but yes ankle twitching is great for very fast speed!!

- John

Re: mainting speed

With my students, I try to relate the feet to the hands. Have you ever only played or practiced with your weak hand? Probably not! We all do exercises that isolate the weaker limb, but in real life, we need to have our limbs in sync with each other. I guess what I'm saying is - try isolating the weaker foot, but don't get too extreme! Here is an exercise to work on:

Take out your Realistic Rock, Drumset Musician, or whatever book you learned rock patterns from and play through it with your weak foot. Try the patterns both heel down and heel up. Heel down uses ankle - similar to using wrists only. Heel up should use ankle and leg - similar to using wrist and forarm for more power.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

hi
as i watched the mike portnoy drum theater video it was lookin like mike portnoy has a special foot-moving for his speed. like one stepp in front of the pedal and on at the back. is that possible? looked like chris adler. are there some other techniques of foot-moving for getting speed?

I started all over on the fundimentals on feet this time (rudiments).I found that it helps to experiment with different postures then STICK WITH THAT ONE!

Back