Derrick Pope: Moeller - One Handed Roll - Heel Toe - DrumSet

Re: my moeller video

My suggestion is that you finish,and sell a compilation copy on dvd .I will buy one.
tracer

Hey i saw u doing extremly fast 16th notes with one hand or a one handed role... will put i vid of how to do that up also?

Great video I like the way you explained everything very nice.

That was really out standing!!!. Please keep the good work!!!

2 Words: THANK YOU!! I've been looking everywhere for something that explains the moeller technique properly and thoroughly, and you did it. Again, thanks.

Outstanding Job on this video. No ego just a very open sharing of your technique. No right or wrong but, what works for you. Once again great job. Seems everyone else always holds back some little part of it that hinders progress. You FINALLY but all the parts on the table and thank you very much.

I would imagine you could do this matched grip and use doubles, triples, 4 strokes because it's all a matter of controlling the rebound with the number of strokes you want?

I really wasn't aware that the moller technique was taboo. do you own a dictionary?

Websters Universal College Dictionary - TABOO - "the system or practice of setting things apart as sacred or forbidden for general use."

In my experience it seems that the Moeller technique was always this seemingly "magical" technique that the pros used to achieve some of their amazing speed, control and accuracy. However, it was quite difficult for normal students or drummers to find material to learn and properly use the technique. I highly doubt it was a matter of those pros keeping it a secret but nonetheless the amount of material available on the moeller technique was virtually nothing. This is how i meant the word to be used.

I do understand why you posed your question, and youre right, maybe i should have used a better word. The video was done in one take only so just about everything that was said was improvised on the spot. Also, in the larger scheme of things I dont think one word is more important than the video and technique as a whole.

I do appreciate your comment, and in future videos I will be a bit more aware of my vocabulary selection.

Once again, THANK YOU to everyone for the forum posts and emails. It's a great feeling to do something that educates and gives enjoyment to those who watch it. And remember, REBOUND!!!

Derrick
[email protected]

Bro you honestly just made my day... :D awsome vid and yeah you should definetly do like a dvd and sell it or somenthing, i'd buy it for sure... keep em coming!!! thanx a bunch man.

Wow! Very well done and most appreciated!
I for one am waiting for your next posts.
I have been practicing Moeller fron Famulero's book but your vid makes it much clearer.
How long did it take to get there? I know it's a very simplistic question, but -
but I will ask because working without an instructor can make you sometimes ask yourself "am I working in the right manner or am I just excercising for over a month doing the wrong thing...?"
How long before one should expect to "get it"? - If one is doing it right?

Thanks again
: - )

once again, i cant thank everyone enough for the kind words.

thank you thank you.

watch the vid and do the moeller!

Derrick

Hey cool video -very well made!

djp132 said:
In my experience it seems that the Moeller technique was always this seemingly "magical" technique that the pros used to achieve some of their amazing speed, control and accuracy. However, it was quite difficult for normal students or drummers to find material to learn and properly use the technique. I highly doubt it was a matter of those pros keeping it a secret but nonetheless the amount of material available on the moeller technique was virtually nothing.

Yeah, I think the reason for that is because the nature of Moeller technique is that it really requires a teacher -or, at the very least, a demonstration. You can spend all day reading stuff about 'down - tap -up' and 'whipping motion' and not really get it until you see a clear demonstration -and not like someone applying it in a playing situation, like watching a video of JoJo Mayer tearing up a drumset, but a clear, to the point demonstration of the actual motion and the idea behind it like you provided. Ironically, as you pointed out it's a really simple concept, but it's very difficult to articulate just through words or still pictures. (go internet! go drummerworld!) and that's where that mystique comes from in my opionion. ...it's very jedi, haha.

Also, just wanted to ask about your take on the upper arm. I know there's more than one interpretation of moeller technique and, as I study it, it involves the stroke starting at the shoulder and the upper arm -almost like leading with the elbow (haha, here's that problem with not having a demonstration I was just talking about -now, if I only had a video camera...). Of course, this motion gets less with speed, but I noticed you keep your upper arms relatively still. Anyway, is that how you were taught, or did you just find that to work best in your experience ...or am I just totally off base with that observation heh heh.

Ok, I'll stop rambling on. Nice work!!!!

Auger said:
Also, just wanted to ask about your take on the upper arm. I know there's more than one interpretation of moeller technique and, as I study it, it involves the stroke starting at the shoulder and the upper arm -almost like leading with the elbow (haha, here's that problem with not having a demonstration I was just talking about -now, if I only had a video camera...). Of course, this motion gets less with speed, but I noticed you keep your upper arms relatively still. Anyway, is that how you were taught, or did you just find that to work best in your experience

Thanks for the kind words!

You're bringing up a good point with the upper arm. As far as the way I do it, if it's needed then I use it. When i use the moeller for backbeats on the drumset or big accents on the snare then I will use the upper arm and elbow to lift the wrist and whap the whole thing down. If I'm just playing some notes at a normal level then I don't use the arm at all, just the whip of the wrist. I'm one of the purists who believes that every motion should be as economical as possible; no wasted energy. If the wrist can get the job done on its own then the upper arm remains still. If I need that extra ounce of power then I will use the upper arm to achieve this.

I hope that helps. Feel free to email me.

Derrick
[email protected]

wow man you were really helpfull!!!I was looking forward on starting learning moeller technique and this was the best video that i could start with!You are a great teacher and also a musician i think because the last words you said about music expression and how we get there is the destination we all must aim at!!
again thanks!!

new vid is up! "one handed rolls"

Tomorrow sometime I'm going to make and post a video explaining and demonstrating as many of the various hand grips and positions as i can think of. After the staggering success of the moeller video I knew I had to do another one. I recieved a lot of emails and questions relating to this topic so I felt that this should naturally be the next video.

As we mature as drummers and musicians our grip often takes a backseat to other things such as playing in general and musicianship (as it should); the grip goes on autopilot if you will. But recently theres been a lot of talk of the french and german grips, free strokes, left hand trad variations. And not only the grips themselves but also how to apply them to achieve the musical passages you desire. These are the things I hope to cover in the next video.

ANY comments, suggestions, requests are more than welcome.

Thanks
Derrick

Tomorrow sometime I'm going to make and post a video explaining and demonstrating as many of the various hand grips and positions as i can think of. After the staggering success of the moeller video I knew I had to do another one. I recieved a lot of emails and questions relating to this topic so I felt that this should naturally be the next video.

As we mature as drummers and musicians our grip often takes a backseat to other things such as playing in general and musicianship (as it should); the grip goes on autopilot if you will. But recently theres been a lot of talk of the french and german grips, free strokes, left hand trad variations. And not only the grips themselves but also how to apply them to achieve the musical passages you desire. These are the things I hope to cover in the next video.

Thanks
Derrick

djp132 said:
But recently theres been a lot of talk of the french and german grips, free strokes, left hand trad variations. And not only the grips themselves but also how to apply them to achieve the musical passages you desire. These are the things I hope to cover in the next video.
Thanks
Derrick
Hey Derrick,
you're right. A video about various grips would be the natural consequence...
When I think about various grips it's always crucial for me how healthy these grips are in physiological terms. You should evaluate the grips you are showing in these terms, too. I think one can only see how healthy a wrist movement is, after using it for several years.
You seem to have a lot of experience there...

Thanks

aarbo

Derrick,

I studied Moeller with Chapin and I have been continually frustrated at the confusion surrounding Moeller and the almost mystical attitude some people have towards the technique.

Your explanation of Moeller was spot-on!!! It's great to see someone getting this info out there to all of those people who don't have access to someone like Chapin.

Well done and I'll be sure to check out your other videos when they come out. Good teaching style too.

Jeff

Back