Snare drum help (sound preference)

It's a OCDP 14x6.5 snare, probably with an Emperor X on it, they're generally popular with that genre...As for tunings, it's so compressed and EQ'd that it's probably impossible to replicate that exact sound. For your snare I'd chuck an ambassador on it, but you might want to try a coated Emperor/X and then just tune it to how you want.

Hope this helps, George.

It's a OCDP 14x6.5 snare, probably with an Emperor X on it, they're generally popular with that genre...As for tunings, it's so compressed and EQ'd that it's probably impossible to replicate that exact sound. For your snare I'd chuck an ambassador on it, but you might want to try a coated Emperor/X and then just tune it to how you want.

Hope this helps, George.

I have a 13x7 vented with an Emperor coated (not an X). Stock snare side, PureSound Custom wires.
What do you think? ALSO How did you know the exact size?

I say just play around with tunings on the head you have at the moment, you could try and Emperor X, but they are THICK heads and so need a lot of tension in the lugs sometimes. Just muck about with your emperor and find a cool sound :)

I say just play around with tunings on the head you have at the moment, you could try and Emperor X, but they are THICK heads and so need a lot of tension in the lugs sometimes. Just muck about with your emperor and find a cool sound :)

I will!
I have what I want, but I want this exact sound! Its just amazing.
I think that when I order my Dark Horse custom I'll have the owner (Anthony) help me out with it.

Have the batter head 1 1/2 - 2 full turns past finger tight, and the reso about the same, maybe a little lower and have the snares a bit on the tight side, if this doesn't get you what you want then turn the snares down. I would recommend an Emperor X or the new Controlled Sound X for this sound, but you might pass with an Emp lol

Actually that type or any other type of sound is very doable with a well rounded sound engineer. You're hearing that and the venue's acoustics probably more than the drum itself.

Dennis

I've been pursuing the same pipe dream forever...trying to replicate the sound from a record. It's impossible, especially with what you and I are working with. Like another post mentioned, there is so much post production there that you'll never replicate it.

You can probably replicate a live snare though. I've seen Angels and Airwaves, and his drums sound absolutely amazing (top 5 drumsets I've heard live).

My two cents: I find that the closest way to imitate a sound on an album is to tighten the snare quite a bit, since it gives that deafening crack that most rock drummers have on recordings. A deeper snare with some ports, maple, with a single ply head like a Remo Ambassador is my weapon of choice for that kind of stuff.

HOWEVER, it seems like whenever I see a band like that sound checking and the drum tech hits the snare (before it is mic'd and in the mix) it sounds like the drum has a very loose tension and is really low (and I think usually sounds bad). Go figure.

I've been pursuing the same pipe dream forever...trying to replicate the sound from a record. It's impossible, especially with what you and I are working with. Like another post mentioned, there is so much post production there that you'll never replicate it.

You can probably replicate a live snare though. I've seen Angels and Airwaves, and his drums sound absolutely amazing (top 5 drumsets I've heard live).

My two cents: I find that the closest way to imitate a sound on an album is to tighten the snare quite a bit, since it gives that deafening crack that most rock drummers have on recordings. A deeper snare with some ports, maple, with a single ply head like a Remo Ambassador is my weapon of choice for that kind of stuff.

HOWEVER, it seems like whenever I see a band like that sound checking and the drum tech hits the snare (before it is mic'd and in the mix) it sounds like the drum has a very loose tension and is really low (and I think usually sounds bad). Go figure.

Well I have a vented Pork Pie 13x7 snare drum. (It has 27 grommet size vents). I use a Coated Emperor on top and a Hazy on bottom, with Puresound blasters.
I have replicated "The Aquabats" main snare sound such as in the songs "Red Sweater, and "Pizza Day".

Well after trial and error and tons of tuning and heads:
I bought an Emperor X and a Hazy Diplomat, along with some PureSound Blasters and strapped them all onto my Gretsch Catalina Maple snare (14x6), I've gotten the snare sound almost perfectly. I still need a bit less ring, but a MoonGel will take care of that.

Well after trial and error and tons of tuning and heads:
I bought an Emperor X and a Hazy Diplomat, along with some PureSound Blasters and strapped them all onto my Gretsch Catalina Maple snare (14x6), I've gotten the snare sound almost perfectly. I still need a bit less ring, but a MoonGel will take care of that.

Just wondering if any of that ringing is coming from the Puresounds? I put some on my DW 14 x 5.5 Maple Collectors snare, and I am getting an annoying buzz when I hit about 3 inches off center. I returned them and stuck the original DW strainer on, which actually sounded better. Just wondering...

Just wondering if any of that ringing is coming from the Puresounds? I put some on my DW 14 x 5.5 Maple Collectors snare, and I am getting an annoying buzz when I hit about 3 inches off center. I returned them and stuck the original DW strainer on, which actually sounded better. Just wondering...

Well I resolved this problem (I had it too), by tightening them a bit, and messing with the bottom head a bit.

Well I resolved this problem (I had it too), by tightening them a bit, and messing with the bottom head a bit.

Cool. Thanks Joey. Musicians Friend didn't want them back so they gave me a $10 credit and told me to keep them.

Good suggestions you have. I'll mess around with it again later, or just keep the Puresounds for the next snare.

Wow, the amazing thing to me is, that doesn't doesn't even sound like a drum in that video. It reminds me of a demonstration video I saw where a bass drum was recorded, and a balloon being thumped with a finger was recorded, and after a little processing you could not tell which sound was which.

All I hear in that vid is audio processing, Joey. Glad it sounds like you've been able to get a sound that approximates what you want.

Wow, the amazing thing to me is, that doesn't doesn't even sound like a drum in that video. It reminds me of a demonstration video I saw where a bass drum was recorded, and a balloon being thumped with a finger was recorded, and after a little processing you could not tell which sound was which.

All I hear in that vid is audio processing, Joey. Glad it sounds like you've been able to get a sound that approximates what you want.

Thanks!
If you listen more into the song (chorus), you can hear it better.

Back