Axis A to a 21 cam

drummingman

Gold Member
I read on another forum that a guy bought an older model A longboard double pedal with the 21 cam on both the slave and main pedals. He said that he had to special order it though (i just sent him a message about it).

I have some question for you all. How would one get Axis to do the 21 cam part on a old A longbord double pedal that is brand new that i would order from them or a music store? I would be interested in checking this out.

How much would it cost me to have this done to the slave and main pedal? Would i have to go directly through Axis? If so would i do it online or on the phone?

How would you all say the feel difference is between the the old cam and the 21 cam feel wise and power wise and speed wise (is the 21 cam as fast as the old cam).

I am very much looking into getting the old A longboard double pedal new cause i think that foot board would be better for me then the laser pedal board. And if i could get it with the 21 cam for both the slave and main pedal straight from the factory i would be interested in that for sure.

Can anybody give me any info on this?

This would probably go trough Axis, the Derek Roddy A 21 single pedal is the one with the 21 cam angle that has the same pedal board as a A series pedal, this would be a special order that you have to request through Axis since the A 21 only comes in singles and not as a double pedal, plus they have e-kits included.

Another thing, does the 21 angle make your foot board hights really high when bringing the beaters a good distance from the head? I dont want to have my beaters really close to keep the pedal boards lower.

This would probably go trough Axis, the Derek Roddy A 21 single pedal is the one with the 21 cam angle that has the same pedal board as a A series pedal, this would be a special order that you have to request through Axis since the A 21 only comes in singles and not as a double pedal, plus they have e-kits included.

The guy on the thread said that he has the old A longboard double with the 21 cams. Here is a link to the thread, He posts a pic of his pedals to show what he is talking about.

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=247951

He probably order them through axis or that special edition was available through the store he mentioned, i have not seen this customized model available to the public.

Another thing, does the 21 angle make your foot board hights really high when bringing the beaters a good distance from the head? I dont want to have my beaters really close to keep the pedal boards lower.

Not that i know of, if i was in my computer i would post a link where a guy explains the 21 beater angle that you can adjust , this also helps the hammer from the e-kits to hit directly on the center of the trigger box, you can adjust the beater angle without having to raise you foot board to high. Axis also sales some toe raisers as well a raiser which name i don't remember right now to mount it on the pedal to create height and more better angle on the foot board.

dont trigger so that wont be an issue. But the pic that i saw on axis site make it loo like the pedal board is very steep to get the beaters back off the head. That is a bit concerning.

How would one get Axis to do the 21 cam part on a old A longbord double pedal that is brand new that i would order from them or a music store?

If you already have AXIS pedals, you can call them and purchase a 21 degree 'number one' piece and upgrade your (new/used) pedal(s) and they'll probably do you a custom (standard with 21 degree number one(s)).

I am very much looking into getting the old A longboard double pedal new cause i think that foot board would be better for me then the laser pedal board.

Not so fast Hombre, you'd probably like the LASER foot board more, you should try it.

Krazy, but despite the want to have an independent foot board angle adjust on AXIS, I still find that even with using their foot board spacers, the pedal always feels/works best for me in its stock (normally attainable) foot board angle positions.

I would suggest getting an old-skool AXIS, try it (it can hit like a ton of bricks already), then get the 21 degree upgrade if you need it.

How would one get Axis to do the 21 cam part on a old A longbord double pedal that is brand new that i would order from them or a music store?

If you already have AXIS pedals, you can call them and purchase a 21 degree 'number one' piece and upgrade your (new/used) pedal(s) and they'll probably do you a custom (standard with 21 degree number one(s)).

I am very much looking into getting the old A longboard double pedal new cause i think that foot board would be better for me then the laser pedal board.

Not so fast Hombre, you'd probably like the LASER foot board more, you should try it.

Krazy, but despite the want to have an independent foot board angle adjust on AXIS, I still find that even with using their foot board spacers, the pedal always feels/works best for me in its stock (normally attainable) foot board angle positions.

I would suggest getting an old-skool AXIS, try it (it can hit like a ton of bricks already), then get the 21 degree upgrade if you need it.

I dont have Axis pedals as is. I have looked into getting the laser double pedal. But the pedal board looks like it may be so big that it may make me have to push my hi hat pedal board father away from me to make room for the slave pedal. I dont want to have to do that. I really want to try the laser but i will have to order it to do so. So i thought i could just buy the older model foot board long board brand new from axis and have them install the 21 cams on both cams on the double pedal and that would solve my problem.

Have you played the laser double pedal? If so did you have the problem that i talked about with having to move your hi hat foot board over farther? Did you have any other problems with it as well? I have looked around a lot on line and it seems that only a few people have bought them. So i have only gotten one persons opinion on them (and he is an endorsee).

Its hard for me to say in inches. I just like it far enough back that i can get a loud hit. But no so far that it slows me down too much.

Ok, well the farther the beater is the more power you will get on the stroke when you hit the head, you can set it up maybe to 3 or 4 inches away from the head itself and still get more power and speed, mine's are set up that way and i feel very comfortable, the closer the beater is the less power and possibility to start tap the bass head with weaker strokes you will get out of this.

It's all a matter of getting used to your motion and what suits you better.

Back