DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Re: Double Bass Chops

I started using Stick Control two days ago. I've only done the first 72 single stroke patterns. But, in 2 hours, I've gone from about 120 to 150 comfortably. I can do most of the faster but a lot of the patterns have 3 or 4 of the same foot in a row, and my left foot isn't comfortable up to speed yet doing 4 in a row.

Maybe someone can republish this classic book and rename it "Pedal Control". Or maybe some of these speed freaks can write a book and call it "Pedal Control"!

stu

30 bpm in two hours of practice? Wow, it has taken me much longer. I am assuming those first 72 exercises include straight sixteenths? I just picked up stick control the other day so I am not sure.

I've been doing the first page of Stick Control heel-down as 8th notes, going up by 1BPM each day. Started a couple of weeks back @ 60BPM, will be doing it at 77BPM tomorrow. Hopefully this improves my ankle control/response.

Where does one begin. My current system is playing a series of patterns for set amounts of time at a tempo, heel-up and heel-down equally, and then once I finish all the patterns I'm done for the day, next time I notch up the metronome by 2 and do it all over again. I started at 70 bpm, finished 82 bpm so far...

...I'm practicing doubles as part of those patterns and I think I should take particular focus on getting the motion right (the left foot struggles, always getting the first stroke in a double lagging behind), what should I do?

The patterns I do:

Heel down and heel up, 5 minutes all sixteenth notes:
Singles
Doubles
Paradiddles

Eighth note triplets, 2 minutes each all heel up and down:
RRRLLLRRRLLL ("triple stroke roll")
RRL
LRR
RLR
LRL
RLL
LRR
RLRLRL

Two minutes each, heel down and heel up, sixteenth notes:

Double Paradiddle
Triple Paradiddle
Para-diddle-diddle (right and left handed)
RLLL
LRRR

Last edited:
Been getting more and more into playing double bass recently. Anyone who's just getting going might find this youtube vid helpful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_havyVj6c

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

gravy1.jpg

I recently got a double bass kit by pearl. I was wondering if there was any good techniques to build my double bass speed.

Technique before speed dude. Start out slow in 4/4 and after every bar gradually increase your speed. See how far you can push it before you fall off beat. My drum teacher made me do this and it helped me a lot.

Hi. I´ve been playing with doublepedal for few years and now I got pearl mastersmaplecustom db kit, sounds great and after two years I´m starting to feel comfort in it. One of my aims is to handle to play in very fast speed, but to be honest it just takes time ! practise practise and again practise, time shows the results... :)
Muscles are not used to play fast and for a long time, its like a supersportsman !
relax and be flexible, I´ve done 8 different martial arts and those are very useful for concentrating and feeling free...
Start slowly and stay motivated and you´ll achieve your purpose !
I suggest to forget sticks for some time, because otherwise you think too much of timing hands too.
double bass pedals are completely different than 2 single pedals !

Good luck and Golden Nerves...

double bass pedals are completely different than 2 single pedals !
No they're not. At least not to me.

Yes, the slave pedal might be a little slower in response than a seperate pedal but to me they don't feel any different to each other.

No they're not. At least not to me.

Yes, the slave pedal might be a little slower in response than a seperate pedal but to me they don't feel any different to each other.

Agreed, Considerable work goes into making the slave as identical as possible to the master pedal. In fact, if you're playing double pedals on a single drum, I think you are going to get a much closer feel than playing two pedals on two drums.

Re: Double Bass Chops

I started using Stick Control two days ago. I've only done the first 72 single stroke patterns. But, in 2 hours, I've gone from about 120 to 150 comfortably. I can do most of the faster but a lot of the patterns have 3 or 4 of the same foot in a row, and my left foot isn't comfortable up to speed yet doing 4 in a row.

Maybe someone can republish this classic book and rename it "Pedal Control". Or maybe some of these speed freaks can write a book and call it "Pedal Control"!

stu
Stu Ive been working on a book?dvd for a while its a work in progress
But its for single and double bass players so I need to get my left foot chops up to par
ill keep you posted
Tim

Hey guys with the whole bass drum technique....
When i play double bass my right foot has a good technique but my left is awfull !!
Any exersises that can inprove my left foot drumming??

Thanks,

Tris

I used to have the same problem.

Try playing single bass beats with only your left foot. When you get good at that practice double bass by leading with your left foot first.

Your left foot will get alot better and gain alot of independence doing this.

I'm trying to unbury the beater and I have a question: Is the heel supposed to touch the pedal when playing slow strokes? I've noticed that I play more like flatfoot when I let the beater bounce back but is it supposed to be like just dropping your leg to the floor heel down when using whole leg strokes?

I'm also having problems with the beater making a ghost note during the up motion as I lift my leg/foot before I execute a note. Any tips there?

.... First I warm up, then set the metronome to 100BPM and play 32nd-notes, ...

Am I getting this right?

100 beats per minute x 32 hits in each beat = 3200 hits per minute.

3200 divided by 60 (seconds in each minute) = 53.333...... hits each and every second.

What technique are you using to get 53 bass drum hits in one second?

Am I getting this right?

100 beats per minute x 32 hits in each beat = 3200 hits per minute.

3200 divided by 60 (seconds in each minute) = 53.333...... hits each and every second.

What technique are you using to get 53 bass drum hits in one second?

no.

keep on multiplying it:

100 bpm with eight notes is 200 hits.
sixteen notes: 400
thirty second notes:800 (100x2(eight notes)x2(sixteen notes)x2(thirty second notes))
good luck

Foot motion lose in double bass drumming

Hi all ,

I am facing trouble with my right foot , I used to play 160 bpm comfortably with much endurance for about 15 to 20 min steady using FLAT foot technique , But i just tried to bring up the speed to 200 bpm, i was able to hit it , But after pushing myself for a while , my Right foot feels like lost its complete motion , Its lagging behind , and right was my stronger part and i have been practicing left leg a lot !!

Now i am working on Right foot for getting the motion back . Hope some one can help me !!

Thank you in advance.!!

I used to have the same problem.

Try playing single bass beats with only your left foot. When you get good at that practice double bass by leading with your left foot first.

Your left foot will get alot better and gain alot of independence doing this.

I do this every time I practice. I work on my left leg constantly because I know it will always get less action when I'm actually playing. The independence will come but it does take a while.

Recently it feels like I've gained full control over my legs and playing patterns is thoughtless. This is after 3.5 years of double bass and I still feel like I have a long ways to go.

Re: Foot motion lose in double bass drumming

Hi all ,

I am facing trouble with my right foot , I used to play 160 bpm comfortably with much endurance for about 15 to 20 min steady using FLAT foot technique , But i just tried to bring up the speed to 200 bpm, i was able to hit it , But after pushing myself for a while , my Right foot feels like lost its complete motion , Its lagging behind , and right was my stronger part and i have been practicing left leg a lot !!

Now i am working on Right foot for getting the motion back . Hope some one can help me !!

Thank you in advance.!!

I went through this on a monthly basis, more or less, for about the first year of playing double bass, until I finally developed muscle memory and really nailed my pedal technique.
One foot or the other would suddenly just go to shit for no apparent reason. Both speed and coordination, gone.

One excercise that really helped me is alternating 16ths and 16th triplets. Playing one or two bars each without stopping.
Another one is working one foot at a time, starting with doubles and increasing by one stroke:

(R= right foot)

RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR
RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR
RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Re: Foot motion lose in double bass drumming

I went through this on a monthly basis, more or less, for about the first year of playing double bass, until I finally developed muscle memory and really nailed my pedal technique.
One foot or the other would suddenly just go to shit for no apparent reason. Both speed and coordination, gone.

One excercise that really helped me is alternating 16ths and 16th triplets. Playing one or two bars each without stopping.
Another one is working one foot at a time, starting with doubles and increasing by one stroke:

(R= right foot)

RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR
RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR RRR
RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR RRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Responding to this dormant thread to revive it...the more things change the more I feel uncomfortable

I recently got a double bass kit by pearl. I was wondering if there was any good techniques to build my double bass speed.
Playing double bass (fast) is like running, you don't start with a marathon, you have to train, I suggest using whatever technique is more comfortable to you and try your fastest piece you can do CLEANLY (meaning not behind the tempo or ahead). and try to do that for 5 min (5 min is a long time to do at full speed) so you might have to slow it down where you can do 5 full minutes of clean double bass, then when that becomes easy (maybe a month later) add more time or increase speed. the goal is to be able to play this:
(and not die)

Back