Derrick Pope: Moeller - One Handed Roll - Heel Toe - DrumSet

Re: my moeller video

I really don't think you can get any clearer on Moeller technique. Excellent video Derrick. I think this should be a sticky, considering there is a thread posted every week with someone asking about this technique and there is no confusion what so ever in this explanation.

Damn fine work Derrick! You've a gift for teaching!!

Waterjet / Love the Drum / Worship at its Temple

Wow, thanks a lot. I have been confused about the Moeller technique for some time now. I knew it had something to do with rebound but I didn't know that it was that easy. I have been to Dom Famularo's cyber lessons to see how Jim Chapin explained it, but really it didn't help that much. I have also been to another web site which did nothing either. I can now do constant tripilets with my right and left hand and am soon starting some of the other exercises. Thanks again

djp132 said:
Websters Universal College Dictionary - TABOO - "the system or practice of setting things apart as sacred or forbidden for general use."

In my experience it seems that the Moeller technique was always this seemingly "magical" technique that the pros used to achieve some of their amazing speed, control and accuracy. However, it was quite difficult for normal students or drummers to find material to learn and properly use the technique. I highly doubt it was a matter of those pros keeping it a secret but nonetheless the amount of material available on the moeller technique was virtually nothing. This is how i meant the word to be used.

I do understand why you posed your question, and youre right, maybe i should have used a better word. The video was done in one take only so just about everything that was said was improvised on the spot. Also, in the larger scheme of things I dont think one word is more important than the video and technique as a whole.

I do appreciate your comment, and in future videos I will be a bit more aware of my vocabulary selection.

Once again, THANK YOU to everyone for the forum posts and emails. It's a great feeling to do something that educates and gives enjoyment to those who watch it. And remember, REBOUND!!!

Derrick
[email protected]

hahahahahaha.

It's really not that serious. I was just pointing it out. The video was good, everyone else already said that. I just was wondering about the use of the word. Whatever, it's not that big a deal. Taboo is usually referring to smoething like sex or homosexuality or drug-abuse. Those are taboo. Whatever. Again, it's not that serious.

Excellent video.

I have become frustrated at my lack of progression using this grip. Your video explained a couple of things I had been missing in great detail.

I play match grip though would anything be different for the left hand or would or do I just emulate the right? It sometimes feels uncomfortable when I do that and have to play a more french style grip with my snare hand.

Hey Derrick - Great Work! Would you mind reading the article and viewing the videos at the wesite posted below and commenting? Unfortunately, I guess I did not fully "get" the Moeller thing, as I was concentrating on the "whip" and "pump" and the Moeller "upstroke" contained in these videos, as well as on the Chapin "Speed, Power and Endurance" video. I was not focusing on the rebound. Obviously, by focusing on the whip and pump, instead of the rebound, speed is reduced (i.e. you can only pump so fast). Also, Mr. Chapin tends to focus on the one hand concept and is a bit lacking on how to put the two hands together to achieve those blazing speeds. Thanks for your time, and once again, great work!
http://www.digbydoodle.com/Moeller/MoellerJazz-Rock.htm

Yo Derrick - How about a little bio info to go with the clip? Where ya hail from and drumming history.

Waterjet / Love The Drum / Worship at its Temple

Awesome video man, you are a very good teacher and explain things very well. Somebody give him his own section on the forums : P Your video is making it fairly easy and quick for me to catch onto the technique thanks again. Rebound!!!

That was the single most helpful, yet FREE!!!! video of the Moeller I've ever seen.

I am having a huge problem getting a triplet out of the bounces. I've got the 3 sixteenths down just fine, but when I try to switch to sextuplets or triplets, I can't get the spacing right on the rebounds. Any tips?

Also, I find it nearly impossible to do it with the first finger grip ;-)

i use winamp vlc player etc

does anyone else find that the video pauses and wont play any further from about 5 minutes in?

i was really enjoyin this video - help please

You can do it with the first finger grip that Dom advocates, but the thing is your grip must be very loose. I have it in both grips and find that I get way more bounce with more the middle finger than the first. But it can be done with the first.

I'm going to be sending a proposal to Hudson and other production companies for making a dvd (obviously covering a LOT more than just Moeller). So all the feedback I can get from you folks will be greatly appreciated as it will show that there is a demand for the dvd I'd like to make.

Thank you all!
Derrick
[email protected]

like everyone said...

great video!! i have been sort of confused on the moeller stroke for a while, and after watching that i feel like all the loose ends got tied up and i understand it clearly now. thanks a lot

now... off to the woodshed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my moeller dvd

After the staggering response I got from my moeller video, I'm going to be sending a proposal to Hudson and other production companies for making a dvd (obviously covering a LOT more than just Moeller). So all the feedback I can get from you folks will be greatly appreciated as it will show that there is a demand for the dvd I'd like to make.

www.derrickpope.net/moellertechnique.wmv

Thank you all!
Derrick
[email protected]

Re: my moeller dvd

hey,

that video was really great! really helped a lot. You explained it and demonstrated it both very well. thanks for posting this.

Thank You Bro Derrick !

Last night, 3 of us all Singaporeans Drummers from DrummerWorld were having a discussion on this Moeller Techniques when they were at my place (8pm to 12am).

They showed me this Techniques, but with their little Pinky last finger (moving up and down to do/control the rebound) and they used the middle finger to hold(just supporting actually) the sticks - the hand was free and using a whipping motion - however it was indeed a little different - cause of the Pinky.

Thank you for disseminating this useful Techniques (in it's correct manner) to us. The Video you put up by yourself doing the Moeller Techniques was indeed very explicit & clear - I'm going to start practicing it from now on.

Once again - Thank You !

PS: - Hey Brothers of DrummerWorld here - A Must Watch Video ... Very Educational & Enjoying .... Cheers !

Hey man, thanks, that was GREAT. That was really well presented, you seem to be a real natural at both the technique and teaching it. It was really well explained, like using the relating to throwing a ball, whipping a stagecoach & the bird crap for traditional, I find that is the best way to teach things, that's how I learned the freehand & gladstone, and now, hopefully and surely, the moeller thanks to your great video.
I've been wanting to learn it but I've just gotten an explanation in a such a way that I already thought I was doing it, but now, I'm off to practice!
The only problem is that with the moeller, when one gets faster, the rolls won't sound as clean as double strokes utilising fingers, with a real accent on the first stroke, but no other way to accent the other strokes. Hell, who cares? It's a great way to have relaxed rolls, but still fast. Whenever I try to do a fast single stroke in the middle of a groove, it makes the groove sound strained/choked, and most of the time it messes up the groove.
Cheers, thanks again, great video,I (and I'm sure most of us) look forward to the dvd!

Back