Lars Ulrich

I'm not gonna judge too much - I'm too much of a novice... but I have to say that whatever Metallica drank when they wrote St Anger.. I want some

And what is he hitting instead of a snare??

Rich

Lars was my inspiration to drum, to have a Tama kit, a to have a double bass. If it wasn't for him, I'de still be playing AC/DC on my cheap 5 piece Royce

I'm not gonna judge too much - I'm too much of a novice... but I have to say that whatever Metallica drank when they wrote St Anger.. I want some

And what is he hitting instead of a snare??

Rich

Its a snare dru, its turned off. (the switch on the side)

i have a buddy who was the tour manager for the go-gos. they were in the studio and apparently metallica was too. they got to talking to the engineer. he said that lars' parts (this was back in the 90s) were all spliced up . . . they had to really splice up the tape to make the parts good. and not just spliced a little bit. A LOT!
i'm not in the habit of bashing drummers but . . . i really can't stand his playing and he seems to be an angry little man. i saw that dvd for st. anger and he was sloppy and he looked like he was having a real hard time with the songs. when i was a kid everybody went nuts for that double bass part in the song 'one.' i've heard lars try it live -- he couldn't get it. ah, the magic of the studio.
he's a drummer. and he's been successful at it. but it blows my mind when i hear people say he's one of the greats when there are guys like Peter Wildoer (Darkane) around.

Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.

Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.

Lars is a drummer that has one hell of a good time on stage, thats what drumming is about. Sure he won't win a rudiment award, but that, in no way at all, makes him a bad drummer.

Lars inspired me to start drumming. I give him that. But after a mere year and a half of playing I started to realize he wasn't very good. I would say he reached his best at And justice For all, he actually had a few interestin drum parts, and even a polyrhythm. Nowadays though he's....just a shadow of what he once was, and what he was still wasnt anything amazing.

So what makes the drummer now is how good you are? I always thought it was "if you suck at drumming, but your having a good time, your good". At least it was in my mind.

So what if Lars isn't the best? He still does what he's supposed to. He keeps time, he keeps the music going. Sure theres people who are better, but he has a hella lot of stage presence. Metallica isn't Metallica without Lars.

And, another thing. To anybody who bashed him.

Do you know how childish it is to bash a fellow drummer? You don't just walk up to a guy who is having a hard time doing simple stuff and say "you suck" you say "keep trying, you'll get it". It's like jazz drummers bashing metal drummers, it's stupid. We're all drummers, we all have differant styles and techniques. It doesn't matter what kind of kit you play, or how fast you can go on your bass drums. It's about having a good time. Having fun. That's what music was supposed to be about.

I'de put more to back up my statement, but I can't exactly think straight right now.

And what? You think your better? Are you in a band that's been around since the 80's and still is very popular?
Do you sell out on every show, every night? Do you still get people going when they listen to your music?
Are you endorsed? Do you have a signature snare drum & kit? Do thousands of drummers look up to you?

Last edited:
For me personally i loved the drumming on "and justice for all" this
album and the production/playing of eveyone on that album really inspired me at that time in my life-i still play that album to this day....

i have a buddy who was the tour manager for the go-gos. they were in the studio and apparently metallica was too. they got to talking to the engineer. he said that lars' parts (this was back in the 90s) were all spliced up . . . they had to really splice up the tape to make the parts good. and not just spliced a little bit. A LOT!

Bob Rock says on the Classic Albums DVD of the black album that they did ALL the fills seperately from the rest of the drum parts. He also says they had to change the heads after every 5 takes or so, because Lars destroyed them after that long. Then he compares him to John Bonham or Keith Moon. Strange man.

And what? You think your better? Are you in a band that's been around since the 80's and still is very popular?
Do you sell out on every show, every night? Do you still get people going when they listen to your music?
Are you endorsed? Do you have a signature snare drum & kit? Do thousands of drummers look up to you?

oh! ohohohoh!! can you say OWNED??? Nice one Mike!

So what makes the drummer now is how good you are? I always thought it was "if you suck at drumming, but your having a good time, your good". At least it was in my mind.

So what if Lars isn't the best? He still does what he's supposed to. He keeps time, he keeps the music going. Sure theres people who are better, but he has a hella lot of stage presence. Metallica isn't Metallica without Lars.

And, another thing. To anybody who bashed him.

Do you know how childish it is to bash a fellow drummer? You don't just walk up to a guy who is having a hard time doing simple stuff and say "you suck" you say "keep trying, you'll get it". It's like jazz drummers bashing metal drummers, it's stupid. We're all drummers, we all have differant styles and techniques. It doesn't matter what kind of kit you play, or how fast you can go on your bass drums. It's about having a good time. Having fun. That's what music was supposed to be about.

I'de put more to back up my statement, but I can't exactly think straight right now.
Lars keeps the music going, okay, that's fine. I'm glad he has fun too. But when we talk about his actual level of talent and musicality it doesnt go very far. He's just not very good, it's very simple. He can't keep up with most metal drummers today, and that's his forte. He can't play any other style of music either. He's just very one dimensional. That's why i'm not a big fan of him

I remember when I was 9/10 years old, I was OBSESSED with Metallica, I thought that Lars was the absolute best drummer in the world. Everything he played was complex and near-impossible. I thought that And Justice for All was the pinnacle of technicality in music, but than I turned 12......

I remember when I was 9/10 years old, I was OBSESSED with Metallica, I thought that Lars was the absolute best drummer in the world. Everything he played was complex and near-impossible. I thought that And Justice for All was the pinnacle of technicality in music, but than I turned 12......

...and you discovered Porcupine Tree, or what.

...and you discovered Porcupine Tree, or what.

No, that happened when I was 13 =). I started playing drums when I turned 12 and I realized that most of the drumming Lars does is very one-dimensional,and boring. He still is one of the reasons I started playing drums, but I think I outgrew him. He doesn't impress me anymore.

I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.

I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.

'nuff said.................

I would rather have fun on stage like Lars, than to be a boring basement drummer who is better at technical playing. It's also hard to judge his skill because there isn't much content of him soloing, I've only seen 2 or 3 clips. If I were to base his skill purely on how well it goes with the music, I would think hes an amazing drummer, sure argue the point, but having inspired thousands of people to start playing drums, that obviously says something about him and Metallica. Theres no point in arguing back and fourth, he isn't one of the most technical drummers, but he sure is one of the greatest.

***and don't bring up that same old solo from 1992 on the white Tama, he was obviously drunk, nobody can go an entire solo only playing single strokes.

Back