Putting myself out there ( uncle Larry, this ones for you)

Oh man, I'm so happy that you did this Mary!....Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Getting known in your particular local music scene is an essential part of playing with others, face it, you're not gonna travel 500 miles to play with people. The best part...You are in control and have the say over who you want, instead of the other way around, where you have no power....Love your honesty, I think that any level headed individual reading this (good luck with that on CL!) will get about the clearest picture possible about what to expect. What more can you ask from an ad? I like it a lot. You worded it so anyone will get it.

Mary, watching you grow is more inspiring than you may know because a lot of people go through non growth spells and need to be reminded that growth is life. That's me right now.

I really get a kick out of your whole deal here, because we've all seen you go from the "complete noobie" level, to someone who is now helping noobies with advise... I don't mean noobie in any negative way whatsoever, it is what it is. Every new goal you accomplish is a goal accomplished for everyone here too, because we're all helping you along. You're alright girlfriend.

I judge people on their playing first in a situation like this. If I like playing with them...well that's the #1 requirement. If it's a chore playing with them...sorry. Go with your gut.

Anyway, let us know the how the responses go, and everything else. I will be keeping this thread on the radar.

Thanks for your kind words, Larry. I knew you would be pleased :). I've already received one great reply...a man of 51 whose played for 30 years but has no interest in playing gigs in bars and clubs anymore. He just misses playing and is looking for a few people to make some music with. He supposedly plays a bunch of different instruments, including drums, so if he's what he says he is he might be someone that can teach me a few things. He even has a place to play!

The boyfriend and I are going to contact him and see what happens :). I'll let you know.

Way to go Mary!
The best way to learn is by doing.
Have fun with your new band mates.

You go, girlfriend! Best of luck to you.

First time showing off your Stage Customs, cool.

If you'll be transporting your drums, think about logistics. Have a checklist so you don't forget little stuff like your sticks (like I did once). Figure out how everything fits into the vehicle. It's never too early (or too late) to have a "system".

Good one, Mary. You've been thorough and clear and covered pretty well all the angles, though next time you could talk about walking the beach barefoot at sunset :)

I've put out an ad on craigslist before that was similar to yours: laying it all out on the table and just being frank. Got very few responses, but it seemed to weed out the "hey man I'm 16 and have been playing six months...want to play some Green Day?" type responses.

Wish you luck. It will come together before you know it.

Good one, Mary. You've been thorough and clear and covered pretty well all the angles, though next time you could talk about walking the beach barefoot at sunset :)

Thought about it but figured there should be a few things left to the imagination :)

"Come Together"...good starting song.

Nice work - you are going to freak when you realise how much fun it is playing with others in the right environment. All the best!

This is very cool Mary :) Larry laid it all out there for me. You inspire more than you might know, & I think your ad is right on the money. I'm wishing you luck & crossing my fingers that you hook up with good people.

Good for you Mary, that the way to do it, you'll have someone who's gonna be in the same shoes you are, no doubt about it :)

"Come Togetrher"? ...nah! Try "Start Me Up" instead...

Fantastic!

As Larry said, it has been inspiring to see your growth, there are people out there who just want to build chops and become "drumathletes". With you I see someone who has a burning desire to play music! Not just the drums, almost as if your life depends on it and that's what its all about.

Thank you for the continued inspiration Mary, I'm sure you'll be jamming away very soon :)

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

Good job! May this lead to good things. Above all: have fun. Peace and goodwill.

I also have to give you credit Mary because you did say that you would do this sometime this year. Big props for not waiting until November to do it lol. Doing what you say you are going to do is an admirable trait. I'm really tickled over this, I just really hope you have a positive experience, everyone knows that CL is very unpredictable. I also like the fact that you mentioned the live in boyfriend in the ad, just so no one has any ulterior motives. Anyone responding should be sincere...one would hope. A girl can't be too careful in the big city lol.

Back