DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin,
I showed some of my band mates your videos and we all have the same favorite drummer now. Some of them said that you were almost "too tasteful" haha.

I dont know if this has been asked and there are too many pages to look through to find it, but the part right after the first chorus in "Sleep Together" has a really weird beat that ive never been able to figure out. What are you playing in this part? Do you have any transcriptions of that?

-Frank
Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
Keep decreasing the frequency like that until you can play four measures and land right back with the click on beat one (you might need to use a drum program or advanced metronome on the computer if your met can't click once every 4 bars).
This is actually a very good timing excercise. I once put together an exercise track:

2 bar count-in
16 x (1bar quarter-note click, 1 bar silence)
8 x (2 bars quarter-note click, 2 bars silence)
8 x (1 bar quarter-note click, 3 bars silence)

I put together mp3's with 60-160bpm in steps of 10 to stored this on my mp3-player to take it with me to my drum-room. It worked really nice. I refreshed the files with Gavin's click sounds and put an electronic percussion sound at the begin of every sub section.

You can find the files here:

http://www.familie-gau.de/audio/Timi...cise-60bpm.mp3

The other links work similar... just change the bpm value to 70...160.

Maybe this is of help for somebody just as it was (and sometimes still is) for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 AM

I always wondered, why did Chris Maitland leave porcupine tree?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 PM

Hi Gavin,

I just received my DVD of the Modern Drummer Festival 2008. Loved your performance! I'm not sure what I enjoy most, watching you play, or hearing the sound coming out of your kit! But congrats on that performance and your mixing skills! A quick question about that heavy pillow inside your kick: Is it installed like a 'U' shape from head to head? Are you using any velcro strips to keep it steady? Or does it sit still on its own? I'm curious because I use a folded up furniture blanket in my kick and I find that the SM91 mic sits nice and still on that flat surface.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Hey Gavin,
Love your drumming... I was wondering, in Rhythmic Perspectives, in the chapter 5 tool boxes when you explain counting 3's, 5's, and 7's over paradiddles, is there any secret to learning this easy? I'm having a hard time with it... The only thing I can think of to try is have someone pull on my foot in 3 while i play them. I just can't feel it... Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM

God this new 05ric album is good. It's need more listens but I reckon it might top the first one you did. It's the next level of drumming, some very nice ideas you've included in it. Well done!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi frankwolfman

I showed some of my band mates your videos and we all have the same favorite drummer now. Some of them said that you were almost "too tasteful" haha.

Now there's a funny thing to be accused of.

I dont know if this has been asked and there are too many pages to look through to find it, but the part right after the first chorus in "Sleep Together" has a really weird beat that ive never been able to figure out. What are you playing in this part? Do you have any transcriptions of that?

I hope you're not getting confused by that extra electronic hi hat that's going on in a kind of double time. I'm certainly not playing that...or do you mean the bass drum pattern perhaps? In any case I don't have a transcription of that - but there are some great transcribers amongst these forums. Maybe ask one of them if they'll do it.

Hi ChrisGau,

This is actually a very good timing excercise. I once put together an exercise track:

2 bar count-in
16 x (1bar quarter-note click, 1 bar silence)
8 x (2 bars quarter-note click, 2 bars silence)
8 x (1 bar quarter-note click, 3 bars silence)

thanks for posting those - they're great. A good thing to have on your iPod for sure....I'm going to put them on mine.

Hi Kongo

I always wondered, why did Chris Maitland leave porcupine tree?

best thing is to ask Chris himself.

Hi JeffV71

I just received my DVD of the Modern Drummer Festival 2008. A quick question about that heavy pillow inside your kick: Is it installed like a 'U' shape from head to head? Are you using any velcro strips to keep it steady? Or does it sit still on its own?

It goes the opposite way to U shaped. It rests against the front head - but rides up half of the batter head - so I guess it's more of an L shape. Does that make sense? Therefore I don't need any velcro to keep it in place - however I do adjust it at every sound check just in case it's moved during transit.

Hi solunaris23

in Rhythmic Perspectives, in the chapter 5 tool boxes when you explain counting 3's, 5's, and 7's over paradiddles, is there any secret to learning this easy? I'm having a hard time with it... The only thing I can think of to try is have someone pull on my foot in 3 while i play them. I just can't feel it..

Why would you need someone to pull your foot in 3? I'm only asking you to sing 3's (not play them with your foot). Can you sing the 3's - 5's - 7's over a 4/4 record? That maybe that's the place to start so you can get that sound in your mind. If you can sing those patterns - and you can play the paradiddles then it's just a case of putting the two together.

Hi trysthedrummer

God this new 05ric album is good. It's need more listens but I reckon it might top the first one you did. It's the next level of drumming, some very nice ideas you've included in it. Well done

wow you got that quick!!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM

Gavin,

Loved the Crimson show last summer, any plans for the future with Robert Fripp and or King Crimson? I would never miss another show like that.....incredibly inspiring to any drummer....that's for sure... I went out and purchased Rhythmic Illusions and it's great.

Also any recomendations on headphones/monitor or practice?

Love the Forum I don't know how you keep up with it.

All the Best and Thanks
ChrisD
Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 PM

Default Cymbal Song

Real easy question here, how long did it take you to compose/film/and master this amazing piece of work? I'm guessing you probably recorded it in stages, hence the change of shirt colors and pants, lol. There are people on YouTube who really believe that you might be able to play this live....are you an octopus by chance? Hiding any other extra limbs we may not know about? Anyway, excellent as always. Thanks :)
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

listened to the Live DVD a lot!!!
I love it!

I've been listening to the fill of "So called friend" nearly the end at 4:10

Maybe you or maybe Terry could transcribe it for me as i just can get it..

Would be great :)

Thanks a lot!

David
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM

Your DVD rules along with you and your bands and your band mates.

Now, I can't seem to figure out the timing in the song "Sentimental" I can play it I just can't count it.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM

:o this Vic Firth Slippin' Away video is nothing than outstanding! Great drumming Gavin.

Love this thunderous bassdrum and the hihat playing style.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM

Hey Kalma,

I think this (see attachment) is the fill Gavin plays around 4:10. I know the groove isn't correct but i think the fill is.

Hidde.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Chris D

Loved the Crimson show last summer, any plans for the future with Robert Fripp and or King Crimson?

Not at the moment.

Also any recomendations on headphones/monitor or practice?

At home I use the Beyer DT 150 headphones. I really like them and they're comfortable over long periods.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Real easy question here, how long did it take you to compose/film/and master this amazing piece of work?

"The Cymbal Song" took me about a week to write and another few days to film it. There's a lot of work in there. The drum film actually took longer because I had a cunning plan to record it at exactly 2/3 of the tempo to the Cymbal Song so I could merge the two of them together and make an interesting Rhythmic Illusion. Have you seen the two combined?

Hi Kongo

Now, I can't seem to figure out the timing in the song "Sentimental" I can play it I just can't count it.

I think it's all in 4/4 apart from a couple of 3/8 links into the verses.

Hi hidde

I think this (see attachment) is the fill Gavin plays around 4:10. I know the groove isn't correct but i think the fill is.

Actually the fill goes like this (S= snare) (T = Tom) (B= Bass drum) all 16th note triplets apart from the last snare of course - plus there's two 16th note triplets on the Bass drum before the fill starts.

S-T-T-T-T-T , T-B-B-S-T-T , T-T-T-T-B-B , S

cheers
Gavin

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 AM

Default Confusing Piece

Gavin,

I've been listening to your explanations about overriding, displacement etc though the video's I've seen posted across the web. I was wondering if you could possibly point out what sort of techniques of yours the drummer (Danny Carey) is using for this short audio clip. It sounds to me like he's doing a simple triplet starting on the hi-hat then on the ride, but somehow displacing the double bass pattern around it. What's your opinion on this? Also, I cannot figure out the time signature for this one.

Song - TRIAD
Band - TOOL

My audio trimming skills are nothing short of disastrous, the first 2 seconds of this clip is very loud, might want to turn the volume down for a bit.

Thanks for your time
Cheers
Eric

I have not seen the combined Cymbal / Drum song video, I'm sure that's a mind blowing track.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 triad poly.mp3 (3.02 MB, 597 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Hi frankwolfman,

Maybe I can try to transcribe the "Sleep Together" part, but which one is it exactly?

Hi Gavin,

I'm really looking forward to get your new album with 05Ric, and to see you at the "Olympia" in october !!

By the way, I'm currently transcribing the whole "Deadwing" album.... so I will post them as soon as possible...

Cheers

Alex P.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidde View Post
Hey Kalma,

Hidde.
You must have some mistake here, the first snare hit can't be inbetween two hihat eighth notes considering the bassdrum note values before.

For a reading-friendlier version, I'd also just write the first two bassdrums together, and then the snaredrum plus the next bassdrum. So you notate quarter-wise,
which is easier to read and to overview for the eye. By the way, The first measure also has only 6 eights, instead of the 7 (according to the time signature).
Old 04-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just got my copy of 'circles' yesterday, and only heard it a couple of times, but i'm enjoying it a lot. By the moment, iīm hanged through 'circles' and 'crisis'. Iīm sure there'll be a lot of questions here about the songs... ;-))

Now i understand when you say you're trying to 'not repeating yourself'. Of course thereīs your style, but the cd is plenty of original fills here and there, and well worked patterns. Also i found a great hi-hat work. And as always the musicality and accuracy typically yours. Well done!.
Youīve found a great partner and incredible musician with O5.
So congratulations once again, the inspiration donīt stop!

Thanks for your time

Gus

Last edited by Gus; 04-02-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Hi!

Downloaded circles from burning shed the other day! I must say.. you surprise me with every new album. Incredibley tight drumming on this one! You just get better and better! As gus said, some really nice hihat work in there!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM

DT rocks you disappoint me! Theres nothing as good as holding the genuine cd with the case! Burning Shed are always quick with posting!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysthedrummer View Post
DT rocks you disappoint me! Theres nothing as good as holding the genuine cd with the case! Burning Shed are always quick with posting!
I know... But I couldn't wait to hear it, so it was way too tempting to get it right away, instead of waiting a week or so to get the actuall cd.

I appologise to you! Haha..
Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi frankwolfman

I hope you're not getting confused by that extra electronic hi hat that's going on in a kind of double time. I'm certainly not playing that...or do you mean the bass drum pattern perhaps? In any case I don't have a transcription of that - but there are some great transcribers amongst these forums. Maybe ask one of them if they'll do it.!
Hey Gavin,
Yeah, our bassist had to stop watchin your 19 Days video because he thought it was just too tasteful.

About "Sleep Together"- I think it was the combo of the bass drum pattern and the electric hi hat that threw me off. Thanks for calrifying that- its been bothering me for a loong time.

-Frank
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 AM

Good day, Gavin! My friend had 2 questions the other day, if you have a moment.

How much do you pay attention to kit/drum placement? What do you think are the best positions or angles? And also the sitting position. Basically the question is that how would you describe or give reasons for the best positions and angles to all other drummers? Things like "the seat height should be measured from your knees height" or something like that. (That example was just made up.)

Secondly, seeing as you have listened to Jeff Porcaro and Simon Phillips, have you ever learned the Toto song Dave's Gone Skiing? If you have or have not, how did or would you approach the drum parts? Any tips?

Thanks a lot for your time! It's really appreciated.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

I received my copies of Steven Wilsons Insurgentes and your new album with 05ric and I must say that its really good music! I really like the work you do with 05ric.
All the guitars I hear, is that all you? I noticed you are getting credit for it in the liner notes but it seems like it's become your secondary instrument as I hear a lot of guitar on the album.

The stuff with Steven Wilson is also great! Really like the album a lot.

You mentioned that you where already thinking about the next album with 05Ric, a question about that; would it be a possibility if the album would be made available as a dvd-audio? I really like the dvd-audio's from porcupine tree and the insurgentes one I have.

Cheers,
Santi

btw, got my ticket for Amsterdam! See you there :)
Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Hi Gavin,

why don't u and Simon Phillips do something together? It seems there's some chemistry between u 2 guys from what i could see from the MD dvd.

Cheers,
Stefano
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 AM

Hi Gavin!

2 questions:

1 - We've talked about your recording techniques over and over again. BUT, I think it was never covered here your use of compression on RECORDING, not on mixing. How much compression do you use when you're recording? If so, where? Because I have been compressing my snare drum as hell just to get that certain punch, since I can't pull too much HiFreq (I'm using a Universal Audio pre-amp). Should I change the pre-amp to one that I could eq a bit more to get the punch I'm looking for? Btw, your drum sound is my absolute reference in the studio.

2 - Talking about your drum sound, is there anyway you could post a sample of your drum sound before mixing? Just so we, who want to achieve a similar result, could listen a bit better?

Please, consider Brasil or at least some latin american country on your next tour! I went to the last London show last year and it was a night I'll never forget! It was awesome!

Thanks for your music, take care!

Heitor.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitor View Post
2 - Talking about your drum sound, is there anyway you could post a sample of your drum sound before mixing? Just so we, who want to achieve a similar result, could listen a bit better?
I would love to hear it too! :)

Gavin, a question regarding ambience microphones. I tried to use one my small diaphragm condenser mics (SE1A) as a room mic, but the audio from that track would just get lost in the mix. Well I didn't hear any difference (or I wasn't listening properly). How do you work with ambience microphones, what do you expect from them? Any suggestion for a good (budget) ambience microphone?

Cheers, Miha
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Hi Vdrummer09

My next question is, as someone returning to the drums after 20 something years, I have always played by ear, I never had lessons and don't read music. I did ok before I quit, but given your background in theory, do you feel it is possible to be a good drummer without the theory?

Yes you can get a long way without any 'theory' (as you call it) - but you could go a lot further and get there faster if you did have more theory. It depends if you want to be the best you can be - or just ok.

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin

Thank you for taking time to reply to my questions.
I certainly am grateful for you honest reply about electronic drums.

I am loving the new 'Circles' CD, was this recorded at the same time as 'Drop?

I have been watching your multi camera angle drum videos with great interest and wonder if there are any plans to do something similar with your drum parts for the forthcoming Porcupine Tree CD? I'd certainly buy a DVD of that!

Could you also explain what you are playing at the start of 'Sentimental'? I read that live this is 'looped' and not played live, what was the reason for that?

Finally on a personal note. As you mentioned, I do want to be the "best I can be", but I know that time, age, family life etc all conspires against me, so I need to find away that will allow me to be the best I can within those limitations. My two main problems I see as these. I don't read music and I have no schooling in rudiments. When I played previously, I picked up everything by ear and was able to get to session level, but now I want to work on the areas that let me down.

Do you feel I can progress without reading music, certainly there are many top drummers who don't read? This would also perhaps leave me free to concentrate on rudiments in the time I can dedicate.

I was also wondering if there was anyone that you knew of who could analyse my playing who could then suggest which areas to work on and how to improve? I have looked at working with a drum tutor and have looked at a few, but I must confess, it concerns me that many of them are even able to pass themselves off as teachers while others will only want to start at 'day one' of their own programs.

I know ultimately only I can assist myself to a degree, but I feel I don't have the insight to know what I should do and what is right or wrong etc to help me personally.

Any thoughts and personal suggestions would be so very greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I was wondering if you could possibly point out what sort of techniques of yours the drummer (Danny Carey) is using for this short audio clip. It sounds to me like he's doing a simple triplet starting on the hi-hat then on the ride, but somehow displacing the double bass pattern around it. What's your opinion on this?

It quite a simple implied modulation that can be applied to triplet based time signatures like 6/8 - where you can imply 3/4 (or going over bar lines imply 4/4). Both time signatures have 12/16 and he's just playing a pattern of 16ths like this XRXX XRXX XRXX (R= rest). and then playing the bass drum and snare drum based off that.

Hi jez-

How much do you pay attention to kit/drum placement? What do you think are the best positions or angles? And also the sitting position.

I suppose the answer to that is - whatever feels comfortable to you. I've had an almost identical setup for a very long time now - so I know what's comfortable for me. I have my thighs parallel to the ground. I sit about 18" off the ground and my bass drum skin is 3 feet from the centre of my stool....but I'm 6'2" tall so maybe that makes some sense.

Secondly, seeing as you have listened to Jeff Porcaro and Simon Phillips, have you ever learned the Toto song Dave's Gone Skiing?

I don't know that song.

Hi SantiBanks

I really like the work you do with 05ric.
All the guitars I hear, is that all you? I noticed you are getting credit for it in the liner notes but it seems like it's become your secondary instrument as I hear a lot of guitar on the album.

No most of the parts are Ric. I play some of the guitar riffs and bass lines. These were part of the writing process and we just thought we'd keep them in there.

Hi steste50

why don't u and Simon Phillips do something together? It seems there's some chemistry between u 2 guys from what i could see from the MD dvd.

Hey I'd love to!! Simon lives in LA and is very busy - I don't know how we could do it - or if he'd even want to.

Hi Heitor

1 - We've talked about your recording techniques over and over again. BUT, I think it was never covered here your use of compression on RECORDING, not on mixing. How much compression do you use when you're recording? If so, where?

I never record any compression - or even have any compression going on when I'm playing. It's only applied at the mixing stage.

When I have some time in my studio I'll have a look and see what I've got.

Hi miha,

a question regarding ambience microphones. I tried to use one my small diaphragm condenser mics (SE1A) as a room mic, but the audio from that track would just get lost in the mix. Well I didn't hear any difference (or I wasn't listening properly). How do you work with ambience microphones, what do you expect from them? Any suggestion for a good (budget) ambience microphone?

To have a good ambiance sound you need a good ambient space to capture. How big is the room you had the mic in and how far away from the drums was it? Ideally you need a stereo pair of mics.

Hi Vdrummer09,

I am loving the new 'Circles' CD, was this recorded at the same time as 'Drop?

no it was recorded a couple of years later.

I have been watching your multi camera angle drum videos with great interest and wonder if there are any plans to do something similar with your drum parts for the forthcoming Porcupine Tree CD? I'd certainly buy a DVD of that!

I have no plans to do that right now.

Could you also explain what you are playing at the start of 'Sentimental'? I read that live this is 'looped' and not played live, what was the reason for that?

It's just a few bars that I played (all in 4/4) and Steve crunched them up in the mix to make them sound lo-fi. I think we repeated them a few times before the 'normal sounding' drums come in. Steve is playing a 4 over 3 piano rhythm just before that - it seems to confuse some listeners when the drums come in. I can assure you that it's all in 4/4 right from the start.

Do you feel I can progress without reading music, certainly there are many top drummers who don't read? This would also perhaps leave me free to concentrate on rudiments in the time I can dedicate.

I'm talking about reading for understanding purposes - not particularly getting your level up to sight reading a Buddy Rich chart. There's a whole wealth of great info out there in drum books that you're going to miss out on from not reading.

I was also wondering if there was anyone that you knew of who could analyse my playing who could then suggest which areas to work on and how to improve?

Where about's do you live? I only really know of a couple of guys in the UK.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 PM

hi gavin. i got question about your DVD when you are subdividing rhythm on hi hat on 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12. How do you count fives, sixes, sevens, eights, nines,,,,,,(its quite fast)?????????
Old 04-06-2009, 05:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Toza,
it's similar to an Indian method. For a group of five I pick out the accents of 1 & 3 of every five. D t D t t and when it gets fast I just think of the D D parts.
For 6 it's just two triplets
For 7 it becomes the accents of 1,3 & 5 sounds something like this: D t D t D t t
For 9 it becomes the accents of 1,3, 5 & 7 sounds something like this: D t D t D t D t t or three groups of three.

I kind of explain it here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJOACCcEgE

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Default TOURDATES

Hi Gavin,

by looking at the European-October-Tour-Dates of Porcupine Tree i was surprised, that no gig is planned in Germany this year. Maybe more to come in early 2010? Last gig i saw PT was on 30th June, 2007 in "Capitol" Offenbach. Canīt wait to hear the new cd and see you live again!

I was at the german MUSIKMESSE Frankfurt and thought you would be there again this year - unfortunatly not ;-).

Zildjian sadly didn't announce your invented Crash-Bells. Some guys - like me - wrote to Zildjian, to bring them up soon - maybe at Winter NAMM in USA...

You can find your Picture now in the official Product-Catalogue of Zildjian (Page 35) - congratulations!

Cheers Jens
Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ilikedrums,

don't worry - there will be multiple German dates this year - we're still working on the details and will announce them when they're confirmed.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Hi Toza,
it's similar to an Indian method. For a group of five I pick out the accents of 1 & 3 of every five. D t D t t and when it gets fast I just think of the D D parts.
For 6 it's just two triplets
For 7 it becomes the accents of 1,3 & 5 sounds something like this: D t D t D t t
For 9 it becomes the accents of 1,3, 5 & 7 sounds something like this: D t D t D t D t t or three groups of three.

I kind of explain it here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJOACCcEgE

cheers
Gavin

aha thanks gavin its similar to indian method that trilok gurtu is talking about: ta- ka, ta -ki -ta, ta-ka-te-mi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riI9Bk03X0I

how do you count 10, 11 and12?:)
Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Re: TOURDATES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikedrums View Post
Hi Gavin,

by looking at the European-October-Tour-Dates of Porcupine Tree i was surprised, that no gig is planned in Germany this year. Maybe more to come in early 2010? Last gig i saw PT was on 30th June, 2007 in "Capitol" Offenbach. Canīt wait to hear the new cd and see you live again!

I was at the german MUSIKMESSE Frankfurt and thought you would be there again this year - unfortunatly not ;-).

Zildjian sadly didn't announce your invented Crash-Bells. Some guys - like me - wrote to Zildjian, to bring them up soon - maybe at Winter NAMM in USA...

You can find your Picture now in the official Product-Catalogue of Zildjian (Page 35) - congratulations!

Cheers Jens
I too have written and spoken to Zildjian about those Crash-Bells. I was bummed when they didn't introduce them at NAMM 09. Maybe next year.... : (
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Hello Gavin,

In "Glass Arm Shattering", how do you think of the tempo?
I mean, it's : 8th = 98 bpm or 8th = 49 bpm (approximately...) ?

Thanks !

Alex P.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Hi ilikedrums,

don't worry - there will be multiple German dates this year - we're still working on the details and will announce them when they're confirmed.

cheers
Gavin
Great News, Gavin! Thanks for your fast response.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Hi miha,

a question regarding ambience microphones. I tried to use one my small diaphragm condenser mics (SE1A) as a room mic, but the audio from that track would just get lost in the mix. Well I didn't hear any difference (or I wasn't listening properly). How do you work with ambience microphones, what do you expect from them? Any suggestion for a good (budget) ambience microphone?

To have a good ambiance sound you need a good ambient space to capture. How big is the room you had the mic in and how far away from the drums was it? Ideally you need a stereo pair of mics.
Hey Gavin. My room is pretty small (5m x 3m). The thing is, when I use my cheap camera to record the video as well, the snare sounds pretty interesting on the recorded video, full and with natural reverb. When I record the drums with overhead and close mics (audix i5 on the snare), the snare is pretty flat compared to my camera mic (lol), although I'm reversing phases etc. So then I tried setting SE1A mic at the same location as my camera (around 3 feet behind my back to the left), to get the same effect, but no luck hehe. The track simply got lost in the mix.

Here are my two samples (same recording). One from overhead and close mics (no EQ, no effects) and one from my camera mic. Camera mic is producing some interesting reverby snare sound. I have no idea how to acomplish that with my drum mics (without excessive use of effects). Any advise would be appreciated. Cheers, Miha

mics.mp3

cam.mp3
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basswood View Post
:o this Vic Firth Slippin' Away video is nothing than outstanding! Great drumming Gavin.

Love this thunderous bassdrum and the hihat playing style.

Agreed...
Amazing to watch this video !

Lots of things happening (drumming wise) but with great taste.
Very inspiring, as always.

Cheers Gavin !

LG
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hello (again...) everyone,
Hello Gavin,

I finished the transcription of "The Start of Something Beautiful". Great Song !!
I'm not sure of the bars 20, 36, and 156. Can you confirm it's good... or not !

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5...ethingbeau.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7...thingbeauc.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4...thingbeaum.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4...ingbeauclg.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7...thingbeauh.jpg

I will post the transcriptions of "Open Car", and "Glass Arm Shattering" maybe next week.

Bye!

Alex P.
That's really good, I looked over it and it looks great. What program do you use to make these transcripts? I'm really interested in making some.

And of course Gavin, you are the man :)