DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-22-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Over time I've read this entire thread and can only thank you for taking the time to share your advice, insight and inspiration. You are a great inspiration to me here on the cloudy old Isle of Man.

I'm looking forward to finally getting to seeing you live when PT hit the road again.

I have a quick question for you regarding your recent sessions in Italy:

You mentioned you were recording in Milan and I was wondering about the logistics of session recording in other countries. Did you take all of your own gear to the session or was a kit sourced locally, how many of the 'essentials' did you have to transport?

Really looking forward to the new GH/o5Ric release. Thanks again for the huge amounts of inspiration.

/Off topic: Who do you fancy for the F1 title this year? Testing has so far been so close I have no idea. Although the Red Bull is a fantastic looking car I don't think they can keep up with the development pace for the season, I hope Mark Webber can finally get a win with it thought.

Cheers,
Rocklord

Last edited by Rocklord; 02-22-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typing spazz
Old 02-22-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
I might have to try that, cause I try all I can but still have some buzz from playing the toms.
I cut my 18 strand snare down to 8 and received some really bad vibrations from the snare while playing the snare drum. Then I bought a 10 strand Yamaha Snare (5 x 2 wires), bad vibrations again. Recently I changed to a 20 strand puresound snare. The bad vibrations are gone. But since my first cut down, I'm struggling with my snaredrum sound, because I also changed the drumheads. Think twice before messing around with your snaredrum. It could end in a nightmare.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 AM

Hey Gavin....

Saw this new device from Wackmaster to lift up the bottom hihat by turning a device installed on the ...

http://www.wackmasterdrums.com/Products.html

Looks like it works...but its kinda hard turning the knob around when you hold a stick...
So probably not ideally to adjust while playing...

Another thing was the Kickport...a device to put in your bassdrum to get more low end....

http://futurepercussionconcepts.com/kickport.html

Tell me what do you think of it....I know you probably havent tried them yourself but just your first opinion...

Do you ever try out new things..just out of curiosity?

Take care,
Dre
Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 AM

I plan on taking a trip to London and attempting to meet you and Steven Wilson, I'll sleep on the ground if i have to I'm just a teenager from New York who is in love with your band. I have no idea where to look or where to even go....but I'll find my way.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
Ah man, I thought he did. Anyway, I have a pop quiz....when did you say this?

"You know, some people get scared of going on stage. It's the anticipation of something that's going happen. something bad is going to happen to you, its going to go wrong. When their on there, their okay, its just the build up to it. You know, leading up to what they think is going to be a really bad experience. very strange thing"
He said it here (also found on the DVD-A of deadwing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i7z8dPhOG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser_user View Post
I cut my 18 strand snare down to 8 and received some really bad vibrations from the snare while playing the snare drum. Then I bought a 10 strand Yamaha Snare (5 x 2 wires), bad vibrations again. Recently I changed to a 20 strand puresound snare. The bad vibrations are gone. But since my first cut down, I'm struggling with my snaredrum sound, because I also changed the drumheads. Think twice before messing around with your snaredrum. It could end in a nightmare.
Thanks for sharing. I might have to try some puresound strands, they seem very good from what people say and are telling me.

Gavin- Any plans to come to the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area in September?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Hi, Gavin.

I just wondered whether you'd heard the album Half Way home by the DeeExpus project?

I particularly wondered as there's a track on there PTtee which is about Andy Ditchfield's epiphany moment after apparently thinking about jacking it all in, before being blown away at one of your shows on the FOABP tour.

I also have wondered a number of times whether you and/or the rest of the band sometimes think that Stevens lyrical themes are, well, a bit dark and every now and again yearn for something a bit brighter?

And where do you stand on Stevens Ipod-a-phobia?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Rocklord

You mentioned you were recording in Milan and I was wondering about the logistics of session recording in other countries. Did you take all of your own gear to the session or was a kit sourced locally, how many of the 'essentials' did you have to transport?

I contact the Sonor artist rep in Italy and he lays on a kit for me with the Remo heads on that I require. He has it delivered to the studio and set up for when I arrive. I take with me a flight case full of cymbals, a flight case with a snare drum in it and my bass drum pedals. Plus I take some sticks/brushes/mallets and my little bell cymbals holder in my suite case. That usually attracts some excess baggage charge.

/Off topic: Who do you fancy for the F1 title this year?

It's got to be Lewis again.

Hi Drizzle

Saw this new device from Wackmaster to lift up the bottom hihat by turning a device installed on the ...http://www.wackmasterdrums.com/Products.html

Yes, it looks interesting although perhaps not as easy to use as the Tama cobra Clutch.

Another thing was the Kickport...a device to put in your bassdrum to get more low end....Do you ever try out new things..just out of curiosity?

Funny you should mention it - I ordered it 2 weeks ago and I'm expecting it any moment now. I'll always be curious about new gear - and I buy quite a few little things like this hoping they will improve the sound or provide an easier way to play.

Hi gibeachhead

I might have to try some puresound strands, they seem very good from what people say and are telling me. Gavin- Any plans to come to the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area in September?

Puresound snare are easily the best I've ever tried. I haven't seen any proposals for a Washington date yet.

Hi gapwedge

I just wondered whether you'd heard the album Half Way home by the DeeExpus project?

No I haven't heard it.

I also have wondered a number of times whether you and/or the rest of the band sometimes think that Stevens lyrical themes are, well, a bit dark and every now and again yearn for something a bit brighter?

I like dark lyrics.

And where do you stand on Stevens Ipod-a-phobia?

The rest of us (band and crew) all have iPods and enjoy them whilst on tour. Steven is on his own with that one.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Hi mr. Harrison, I have a few quick questions if you don't mind.

Is the DVD for the Modern Drummer Festival 2008 already out and where could it be purchased?

Secondly, my friend wanted to know what you think about the latin jazz drummer Horacio Hernandez, if you have any comments or anything. And have you yourself played similar stuff?

Thanks again for taking the time from your busy schedule to answer our questions!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM

Hi Gavin! Hope you are doing good with your current projects (PT, 05ric), I cant wait to hear more of your awesome and inspiring drumming.

As I wrote a couple of months earlier I've been thinking of buying a kit pretty soon (hopefully). Well I've realized that going for a Sonor kit maybe is a bit unrealistic. And my dad has found some toms in a junkroom next to a recording studio. They seem to be quite homemade and I don't know what kind of wood it is. But I thought maybe they would sound okay or even good if I bought some nice remo heads and used them. And the went for a nice snare and bass-drum and good symbals. Well what kind of snare and bass-drum would you recommend for someone who likes your sound. I mean, what type of wood? Is a 14x5 maple snaredrum a wise choise for someone who liked clear, light punchy sound? I personaly think that going for a nice Snare, Bass, Hi-Hat, Ride and Crash combo and then subsequently going for better toms sound like a good starting point for a good kit. Do you agree?

I also wonderd if you have listened to Esbjörn Svenson Trio and if you like the drummer Magnus Öström who plays with them? If you haven't heard them I really would recommend listening to their album God Morning Susie Soho. Great Music.

Sorry for my bad english and wierd sentences. I'm swedish so... Hope you understand it at least a little bit anyway.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Just wanted to share a brain teaser of an exercise based on Gavin's Rhythmic Horizons DVD.

I had worked through most of the lessons on this DVD awhile ago and hadn't watched it in some time, but I'm working with a drum teacher who is very insistent on counting out loud while practicing and sight reading. So I decided to revisit this DVD with that in mind, and to count out loud over all the overriding exercises. It's simple enough with the 8th note, quarter note, and open hi-hat accent overrides, but when it comes to the dotted 8th note overrides it gets really tricky. You really have to get inside that 3/16ths feel and understand it. Even just tapping your hi-hat foot in the original 5/8 or 7/8 time signature is really a challenge while playing the dotted 8ths on the ride.

So if you're looking for a challenge try this. I think it really helps maintain a solid feel while playing weird overrides to keep counting in the original time signature.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Gavin just saw one of your clips where you are explaing odd time between hands and feet and are only using one hand.AMAZING.This is what I like to see at clinics break downs, demonstrations, and application
IMHO you put a lot of drummers with gargantuon kits to shame with only one hand
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi jez-

Is the DVD for the Modern Drummer Festival 2008 already out and where could it be purchased?

No it hasn't been released yet - I'm expecting it to come out sometime in the next 3 months.

Secondly, my friend wanted to know what you think about the latin jazz drummer Horacio Hernandez, if you have any comments or anything. And have you yourself played similar stuff?

Horacio is an amazing drummer - I saw him make a clinic in London many years ago and I was very impressed. I don't get asked much to play Latin - although I can - it's best left to people like Horacio who grew up with it and have it in their blood.

Hi Paul Nasstrom

my dad has found some toms in a junkroom next to a recording studio. They seem to be quite homemade and I don't know what kind of wood it is. But I thought maybe they would sound okay or even good if I bought some nice remo heads and used them. And the went for a nice snare and bass-drum and good symbals. Well what kind of snare and bass-drum would you recommend for someone who likes your sound. I mean, what type of wood? Is a 14x5 maple snaredrum a wise choise for someone who liked clear, light punchy sound? I personaly think that going for a nice Snare, Bass, Hi-Hat, Ride and Crash combo and then subsequently going for better toms sound like a good starting point for a good kit. Do you agree?

Yes maple is always a safe bet when it comes to drum wood. 14x5 is my favorite size of snare drum. I would advise getting good cymbals. If the cymbals are not good - there's nothing that can be done with them - whereas drums can be altered. New Remo heads may help the sound of those toms and you can improve the sound of drums with different head combinations.

I also wonderd if you have listened to Esbjörn Svenson Trio and if you like the drummer Magnus Öström who plays with them? If you haven't heard them I really would recommend listening to their album God Morning Susie Soho. Great Music.

Yes I know E.S.T and really enjoyed the "Live In Stockholm" DVD. I was very saddened to hear that Esbjörn had died recently.

Hi Tim Waterson

Gavin just saw one of your clips where you are explaing odd time between hands and feet and are only using one hand.AMAZING.This is what I like to see at clinics break downs, demonstrations, and application IMHO you put a lot of drummers with gargantuon kits to shame with only one hand

thanks for the kind words - I had a good time at that PASIC clinic.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on transcribing the 'breakdown' in Cheating the Polygraph [2:08 - 2:38]. Has anyone else has taken this up?

Been paying a lot of attention to FOABP and Nil Recurring lately; pretty brilliant work.

Happy drumming!

Let's see... how long did that take... my brain hurts.

Here are a couple versions of my initial analysis/transcription!

pdf document, 600dpi, 7/4 interpretation
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/Gavi...ePolygraph.pdf

pdf document, 72dpi, 7/4 interpretation
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/Gavi...graph72dpi.pdf

pdf document, 600dpi, 7/8 interpretation (hard to read man!)
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/Gavi...lygraph32s.pdf

pdf document, 72dpi, 7/8 interpretation
http://www.mikestjean.com/ptree/Gavi...ph32s72dpi.pdf

I didn't really treat the ghost notes since it's all pretty light playing; rather, I marked the accented snares. The 'dome' cymbals and some of the tom work is a little ambiguous in tonality but the rhythm is there.

Would love to hear anyones thought's/corrections :)

Cheers!

Last edited by Bernhard; 01-13-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Thanks - for anyone who may be interested - here's a sneak preview of the first half of my new record with 05Ric. I'm really happy with it and will post some stuff here at Drummerworld when it's available.

www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric

cheers
Gavin
Great stuff, absolutely great! So energetic and profound. There's a part from the preview which is playing in my head over and over. Can't wait for the final release!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM

Hi mr. Harrison,

I have few questions

You have great timing and groove... Do you have any advice how to develop that ?

Secondly, is it better to be able to play any style or really focus on one style ?

And the last one.. Do you have any favourite books you would recommend ?

I'm sorry for my bad English:)

Thank you.
Roman
Old 02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mstjean,
very nice transcriptions !! Well done.

Hi miha

Great stuff, absolutely great! So energetic and profound. There's a part from the preview which is playing in my head over and over. Can't wait for the final release!

Thanks - I'm really happy with it. It should be released very soon.

Hi mly

You have great timing and groove... Do you have any advice how to develop that ?

By listening really carefully - not only to your drumming but other drummers too. I tried to emulate the feel of the drummers that I grew up listening to. I recorded myself all the time and listened back just to check the timing and feel. It's still the biggest priority to me and I'm still critical of my timing and groove. I'm always looking to improve it.
If you want to practice some swing feel - here's a great CD - I'm playing to it almost everyday at the moment. It's called "Meet The Bass Player" and is produced by Allan Cox. It's basically just a great swing bass player called Paul Morgan laying down some great swing time.

http://www.allancox.co.uk/mtbp.htm

Secondly, is it better to be able to play any style or really focus on one style ?

I wouldn't get too hung up on 'styles'. Work on your timing and musicality and you'll be surprised how easy it is to adapt to most styles quite quickly. Every 'style' has timing and groove at the core level - and musicians who play in those styles will appreciate your good sense of time even if you don't know all the things about that style.
I wanted to play the kinds of music I was listening to - and I wasn't just listening to one style of music. Plus a life in the music business can take some pretty unexpected twists and turns - for instance -I never imagined years ago that I'd end up playing in a 'prog' band - as I do now.

And the last one.. Do you have any favourite books you would recommend ?

I really enjoyed working through the systems that can be applied to the Ted Reed book "Syncopation". If you like snare drum exercises there's an excellent (but hard) book by Fred Albright called "Contemporary Studies For Snare Drum".

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-27-2009, 10:03 PM

Thanks for those insights, as always, Mr Harrison. Your 4-part video interview series with Vic Firth also helped a lot, basically opened a lot of doors into approaching your books and DVDs, again :)

Really appreciate it :)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, I don't really have any questions at the moment but I just *had* to create this account to congratulate you on the great advice and answers you've been giving on these forums.
I also really liked the interviews in the Vic Firth site, I thought they had a lot of useful tips.
I would like to point out that you have been one of the main influences I've had to try and raise my playing level another notch or two.
So, really, thanks a lot for your dedication to music, drumming and the community in general, keep those great grooves coming, beautiful playing!
Oh and now that I think about it, I do have a question! it's kind of silly, but I've always wanted to know how pro drummers handle rolls at the end of songs. I mean, I usually just fill in with cymbal sound and when/if I go to the drumset, I just try to get the same feel I had on the cymbals. What I was wondering is if this is correct, as opposed to maybe, doing it in time, which I've tried, but it's kind of hard to go to a 32nd/16th (depending on the tempo) feel and keep it tight when you are finishing a song, and it doesn't really sound very good. So, how do you handle these type of things?

All the best, Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 02-28-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Hi Gavin,

I posted a question on the gerneral drummerworld website just to gauge opinion and was a bit surprised by the reaction.

I asked if a solo I have worked out at around three and a half minutes was too long for a barroom gig (in the UK incidentally). People at these gigs do usually come to see a band, so they're not just sitting there pouring alcohol down their necks.

Most drummers on this site seemed to think four minutes was way too long. I wondered what your opinion as a pro was.

The solo is not massively technical: Two minutes of 4/4 rolling, jungle toms and marching snare figures, followed by a minute or so of 'letting rip' - Bonham triplets, quads, hi-hat chokes, double bass drum stuff. etc.

Maybe I've just been watching too many drum DVDs. Who knows?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I really enjoyed working through the systems that can be applied to the Ted Reed book "Syncopation". If you like snare drum exercises there's an excellent (but hard) book by Fred Albright called "Contemporary Studies For Snare Drum".
I'm working through the Ted Reed book myself right now, great stuff.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Default 7/4 Time

Gavin,

Thank you for your suggestion about metronomes and grasping 7/4 time. I recently purchased a Yamaha DD65 electronic kit and found out I can set the metronome to any time signature. I'm still in the "basic" stages of grasping 7/4, only being able to play basic snare and bass patterns with a steady 1/4 or 1/8th note on the ride or hi-hat, but it's coming easier the more I play it. My biggest obstacle is mastering how to play it without sounding so robotic.

Thanks again for the advice

Eric
Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 PM

Hey Gavin,

I heard the PT DVD won't see release until 2010; is this true?

Many thanks!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cantstandyourfunk

Thanks for those insights, as always, Mr Harrison. Your 4-part video interview series with Vic Firth also helped a lot

I think there's six parts to that interview.

Hi Fox622003

I do have a question! it's kind of silly, but I've always wanted to know how pro drummers handle rolls at the end of songs. I mean, I usually just fill in with cymbal sound and when/if I go to the drumset, I just try to get the same feel I had on the cymbals. What I was wondering is if this is correct, as opposed to maybe, doing it in time, which I've tried, but it's kind of hard to go to a 32nd/16th (depending on the tempo) feel and keep it tight when you are finishing a song, and it doesn't really sound very good. So, how do you handle these type of things?

are you talking about the last held chord of a song where the drummer usually fills in and the others wait for a cut off cue? I don't tend to play in the tempo of the song - I just play whatever comes to mind at the time.

Hi supermac

I asked if a solo I have worked out at around three and a half minutes was too long for a barroom gig (in the UK incidentally). People at these gigs do usually come to see a band, so they're not just sitting there pouring alcohol down their necks.

sounds pretty long to me. I don't really like drum solos to be honest - and try to avoid them if I can.

The solo is not massively technical: Two minutes of 4/4 rolling, jungle toms and marching snare figures, followed by a minute or so of 'letting rip' - Bonham triplets, quads, hi-hat chokes, double bass drum stuff. etc.

could you not just improvise something on the spot - rather than this pre planned thing?

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I'm still in the "basic" stages of grasping 7/4, only being able to play basic snare and bass patterns with a steady 1/4 or 1/8th note on the ride or hi-hat, but it's coming easier the more I play it. My biggest obstacle is mastering how to play it without sounding so robotic.

Don't worry - it gets easier the more comfortable you get with the time signature. I prefer to play over a riff - like a bass line for instance - then I just sing along to it and it feels much easier than counting.

gibeachhead

I'm not sure about that - where did you hear it?

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Gold Member

Ok, that's exactly what I meant, thanks a lot for the answer Gavin.
Fox.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
gibeachhead

I'm not sure about that - where did you hear it?

cheers
Gavin
People read that Steven said it in this interview here (posted just yesterday):
http://www.metal4all.net/index2.htm

Unfortunately there is no English version and I myself cannot read Spanish very well, I mean if Steven said so......but I figured i'd ask. No worries I hope, I am simply curious.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately there is no English version and I myself cannot read Spanish very well, I mean if Steven said so......but I figured i'd ask. No worries I hope, I am simply curious.
Yes he does say so in this interview......

That the DVD doesnt have the highest priority and that they are busy finishing the new album and that the DVD probably wont come out this year......

I guess we have to wait untill next year....
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Hi gibeachhead

If i may say, as spanish speaker, you´ve read correctly. That´s exactly what Steven said in this interview. :-(

Gustavo
Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 PM

Hi Gavin, just a quick question.

On wikipedia it lists your recording Equipment and in essence describes it as; Drum Mics > Desk > Mac

I was just wondering if you use any Outboards in your set-up, such as; EQ's, Compressors, Gates, Reverbs etc or do you do all your Mixing and Processing in Logic?

Hope you're well,

Kev
Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin,

I understand you records tracks for the new OSI album (with Jim Matheos and Kevin Moore).

Has there been any word on when the CD will be released?

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 AM

hi gavin.
usually i see around you a lot of K crashes.
They sound amazing, but they're expensive, for persons like me, that have no endorsement.
I wanna ask you, what do you think about A custom cymbals?have you used them?are they compatible with pop music and studio records?
thanks a lot.=)
ah, there's a sad news...i broke my (and YOUR =P ) oriental trash 12" chinese.
i don't understant how, do you find this cymbal easy to break?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi K.Howden

On wikipedia it lists your recording Equipment and in essence describes it as; Drum Mics > Desk > Mac. I was just wondering if you use any Outboards in your set-up, such as; EQ's, Compressors, Gates, Reverbs etc or do you do all your Mixing and Processing in Logic?

I don't use any outboard anymore. It's all inside Logic now - and it's so much easier.

Hi DrumEatDrum

I understand you records tracks for the new OSI album (with Jim Matheos and Kevin Moore). Has there been any word on when the CD will be released?

That is correct - I understand sometime in April - but I don't know for sure.

Hi ItalianRicky

I wanna ask you, what do you think about A custom cymbals?have you used them?are they compatible with pop music and studio records?

Yes they are very good indeed - and certainly compatible with pop records and studio recordings.

i broke my (and YOUR =P ) oriental trash 12" chinese. i don't understant how, do you find this cymbal easy to break?

I have broken them before - but not in the last couple of years since I have developed a new type of cymbal washer. I'll tell everyone more about it when the product is ready to be released.
What I can say is this - I played a 5 week tour with PT around the USA using these new cymbal washers and I didn't break one cymbal the whole tour. Then I came to Europe and played another 5 weeks (same band, same songs and exactly the same cymbals) but I forgot to bring the washers and left them on my US set. I broke 7 cymbals in the first 2 weeks!!!!
Now I have a set of these washers on my Euro set too - and I haven't broken a cymbal since then.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM

thanks a lot ;)

i broke 3 cymbals in 6 years...may this be normal?a crash, this mini china and a 6" splash....
but this mini china gave me impression to be very fragile...
the issue is like this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mmagineuol.jpg

it may depend from the cymbal washer or may it be a problem of the cymbal itself?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianRicky View Post
thanks a lot ;)

i broke 3 cymbals in 6 years...may this be normal?a crash, this mini china and a 6" splash....
but this mini china gave me impression to be very fragile...
the issue is like this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mmagineuol.jpg

it may depend from the cymbal washer or may it be a problem of the cymbal itself?
You can drill little pinpoint holes on either side of the crack to stop it from growing for a little while. It's really just delaying the inevitable, but if you can't afford to replace it right away it's a good way to get a little more life out of it.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:

i broke my (and YOUR =P ) oriental trash 12" chinese. i don't understant how, do you find this cymbal easy to break?

I have broken them before - but not in the last couple of years since I have developed a new type of cymbal washer. I'll tell everyone more about it when the product is ready to be released.
What I can say is this - I played a 5 week tour with PT around the USA using these new cymbal washers and I didn't break one cymbal the whole tour. Then I came to Europe and played another 5 weeks (same band, same songs and exactly the same cymbals) but I forgot to bring the washers and left them on my US set. I broke 7 cymbals in the first 2 weeks!!!!
Now I have a set of these washers on my Euro set too - and I haven't broken a cymbal since then.
It sounds like you've given all the info that you can here, but I'm going to beg anyway. Any chance you can give us some sort of idea of what these are all about? I've been looking for new washers that relieve the stress on my cymbals for a LONG time. I have a serious issue with breaking crashes and china cymbals and it's expensive. I'm very very intrigued.

Also, when you break cymbals, where do you break them? I get cracks on the shoulder of the cymbal. I'm wondering if the problem you had with breaking that has been remedied by these new washers is similar to mine or maybe something different (like breaking it at the hole or something).

And by the way, Gavin, thanks for this thread. It's been so valuable to me and I'm sure a lot of other people.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroAxis View Post
You can drill little pinpoint holes on either side of the crack to stop it from growing for a little while. It's really just delaying the inevitable, but if you can't afford to replace it right away it's a good way to get a little more life out of it.
thanks, but the cymbal is under guarantee...maybe zildjian can give me another.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Hi Gavin,

very nice Interview on Vic Firth.com!
I think you find the right words for young students, lots of thanks for this!!!

I´ve got a short question:

Which kind of Interface did you use on livegigs, e.g.: on the Musikmesse in Frankfurt?

Can you give me some buy-advice, i use a macbookpro and i need a interface for livegigs and playalong sessions. Important is a seperate headphone volume and a output volume! Midi in and out is also important.
Firwire or USB?

What do you think?

Best wishes from cold germany,

Delaygroover
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaygroover View Post
Hi Gavin,

very nice Interview on Vic Firth.com!
I think you find the right words for young students, lots of thanks for this!!!

I´ve got a short question:

Which kind of Interface did you use on livegigs, e.g.: on the Musikmesse in Frankfurt?

Can you give me some buy-advice, i use a macbookpro and i need a interface for livegigs and playalong sessions. Important is a seperate headphone volume and a output volume! Midi in and out is also important.
Firwire or USB?

What do you think?

Best wishes from cold germany,

Delaygroover
I would use a firewire one as USB gives some strain on your processor. Firewire will never do that so it's always steady in performance, even if your processor is busy with processing large heavy tasks.

Now down to the interfaces, a lot of interfaces can do what you want though not all have midi.

You can always buy a separate midi/usb cable. I use a Mackie Onyx Satellite and that works great. Other interfaces I can recommend are Presonus (they have the inspire and firebox), Echo (Audiofire 2 and 4), TC Electronic, M-audio (Firewire solo although I don't like the sound of M-audio, ditched my fw1814 in favor of a presonus firestudio 26 and the mackie), Edirol (they have some nice stuff, once had the UA25, very good though usb), Apogee (duet, though pricy but perfect!) and I believe Emu has some nice interfaces too (use a 0404 card in my windhose machine, good quality stuff)
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ItalianRicky

i broke 3 cymbals in 6 years...may this be normal?a crash, this mini china and a 6" splash....but this mini china gave me impression to be very fragile...the issue is like this:

I used to break a whole load of cymbals. That china break is the typical place for it to fracture. The 12" Oriental is quite thin - which is why it sounds so nice. It's very hard to say why a cymbal breaks - a problem with the cymbal - bad washer setup - bad angle - clamped too tight - hit too hard or a combination of these issues.

Hi ahector

I'll tell you more about the new washer when it's ready to be released. Can it save your cymbals? - I think so because it's working for me and I haven't broken a cymbal since I've used these washers. Could it absolutely guarantee to save a cymbal 100%? - of course not - because of any of the issues above.

Also, when you break cymbals, where do you break them? I get cracks on the shoulder of the cymbal. I'm wondering if the problem you had with breaking that has been remedied by these new washers is similar to mine or maybe something different (like breaking it at the hole or something).

When I've broken cymbals in the past
Crash cymbals - usually on the edge
China cymbals - on the bow (as described by Italian Ricky)
Hi Hats - on the edge
Splash cymbals - usually at the hole.

How tight do you have your cymbals clamped?

Hi Delaygroover

Can you give me some buy-advice, i use a macbookpro and i need a interface for livegigs and playalong sessions. Important is a seperate headphone volume

I use an M-Audio Firewire 410. It hasn't given me any problems at all. We use the same box with PT. It isn't unbelievably hi-fi and you're going to need to use a couple of DI boxes to send the stereo mix out to the PA. It's important that you choose a box that has more than 2 outputs - because obviously you want to send a stereo feed to the front of house and have a separate output (or two) to feed your headphones for the mix with the click in it.

This box can run off the firewire bus and that's important too - because if some clown trips over your power cables in the middle of the show (and it has happened more than once) the laptop will switch to battery mode and still power the M-Audio box without interruption. Another scenario is when you have your box powered by it's own power supply (like the MOTU 828) and if the power gets interrupted (for even a fraction of a second) the laptop will switch to battery power but the MOTU box can't. So it loses communication with the computer and no sound comes out - and then you have to restart the laptop (which can seem like forever if you're in the middle of a show).

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Hi ItalianRicky
I'll tell you more about the new washer when it's ready to be released. Can it save your cymbals? - I think so because it's working for me and I haven't broken a cymbal since I've used these washers. Could it absolutely guarantee to save a cymbal 100%? - of course not - because of any of the issues above.
As someone with lots of cracked cymbals who is about to pay through the nose to replace them all, my interest is peaked!

Just got a listen at the new 05 Ric material, very very good stuff. I'm very excited about the release.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Well, thank you Gavin and Santi!!!
Some good advices to me!!

My favourite is the Onyx, best quality for this price!
I have to buy a seperate midi interface, but thats ok :-)

@Gavin: Are you at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt this year?

Best wishes

delaygroover