DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi NeuroAxis....thanks for the reply...

I know how to replace and tune my drums....but every drummer has a different technique and I was just curious for Gavin's method....maybe pick up a helpfull tip along the way...

I did use a hairdryer in the past...I think I saw Bob Gatzen do it in his DVD...I also use a Tama Tension Watch sometimes....it helps you get the tension right all over the head...but it doesnt tune it though....

I mainly do it as Dave Weckl does in his instructional DVD, cause I think he has the best drum sound in the world today...The sound of his drumset on Multiplicity is just phenomenal...Watch Your Step

But following his instructions did not make my drums sound as beautifull as his.....hummmm strange...

I guess the biggest problem is expierence...I just dont play enough for me to have my heads replaced that much...

Take care,
Andre
Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 PM

Hey Alex, nice work. What software are you using for transcribing?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miha View Post
Hey Alex, nice work. What software are you using for transcribing?
Hi Miha, thanks!

Well, once I transcribed the part on a paper, I write it with the "Finale" software.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi Miha, thanks!

Well, once I transcribed the part on a paper, I write it with the "Finale" software.
Great job man, your work is very helpful.

Finale is great, I use it in Music Theory.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle

I am planning on putting new heads on this weekend..and I was wondering if you could share with us how you tune them, not in what pitch, but the steps you take from mounting the head, to tuningmethod..... how you seat the head....It doesnt have to be very precise...just in short....

I don't think I do anything so out of the norm. I tune the bottom head first (ideally without the top head on). I put on the new head place the rim on and tighten the screws until they are finger tight. Then I use two drum keys at opposite points of the drum and start turning in small amounts. Then I move criss cross around the drum (always with 2 keys) and keep turning up a little at a time. I don't like the "tension watch" kind of things - I have used it and didn't like the results. Then I check the pitch just in front of each lug - but I push my finger into the middle of the head and that can help with eliminating some harmonics that are coming from other parts of the head and I can artificially raise the pitch so it's easier to hear a clear note by the lugs.
There's quite a bit of instinct going on because I've done this for so many years - I don't follow pitches from a piano/guitar or something. Once it's reasonably close I stretch the head by pushing my palm into the middle on the drum a couple of times - then I need to re-tune as the head settles in.
That's about it. The Bob Gatzen videos out there are really informative - and I like his advice about tuning.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Hello Gavin, 2 question about tuning. On tour, do you find that you have to tweak your snare(top and bottom)heads in each different venue to get that perfect feel and sound? and do you subscribe to the method of slightly detuning the tension rods on either side of the snare strainers to get a fatter snare sound. I had read that Larrie Londin used this technique to get his incredible snare sound in the studio.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Enjoying the snow storm Gavin ? Plenty of time for a nice warm drink and some practice eh ?

I hear you guys dont get snow very often and that you are getting a thumping. Hope it is enjoyable. I live in Kentucky where we just had two days of ice storms and 250,000 without power in the middle of a cold winter. Hope you folks in the UK dont have to deal with that mess..
Old 02-03-2009, 01:25 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Iamperjay

On tour, do you find that you have to tweak your snare(top and bottom)heads in each different venue to get that perfect feel and sound? and do you subscribe to the method of slightly detuning the tension rods on either side of the snare strainers to get a fatter snare sound.

I don't feel the need to retune for the venue because I'm always mic'd. I've never tuned my drums for feel - only for sound. Sometimes I have loosened the tension rods by the snare bed. Usually I'm trying to avoid the snares sympathetically vibrating when I play some of the toms.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 AM

Default Subdivisions

Gavin,

Would there be an easy way to explain playing, for instance, 7/8 in a 4/4 subdivision. Is that possible? Or am I getting the term subdivision confused? Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for continuing to be such an inspiration.

Eric
Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Would there be an easy way to explain playing, for instance, 7/8 in a 4/4 subdivision. Is that possible? Or am I getting the term subdivision confused?

Yes you can play in 7/8 whilst in 4/4 (or at least while something or someone else is playing in 4/4). Try playing to a 4/4 song and then start playing in 7/8 and see what happens. See if you can keep one eye/ear on the 4/4 whilst you're playing a pattern in 7/8 so you'll know when you've completed a cycle and landed back in sync with the downbeat in 4/4 - it's good rhythmic brain training. There are 2 ways of looking at it. 1) you play and think in 7/8 and wait for your pattern to sync back to the 4/4 downbeat and the only thing that is holding it together is the 8th note subdivisions that are common to both rhythms - or 2) you play and think in 4/4 and those bass drums and snare drums are just syncopation giving the illusion of a 7/8 pattern. If you write out a 7/8 pattern in 4/4 you'll see what I mean.

This kind of 'rhythmic curiosity' is how I developed my ideas for the books "Rhythmic Illusions" and then (based on how many ways you may perceive an illusion) "Rhythmic Perspectives".

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post
I hear you guys dont get snow very often and that you are getting a thumping. Hope it is enjoyable. I live in Kentucky where we just had two days of ice storms and 250,000 without power in the middle of a cold winter. Hope you folks in the UK dont have to deal with that mess..
It hasn't been THAT bad. They do make a big fuss of it over here, other countries cope but for some reason it has to be on the news for about a week when some schools have been closed. Hmm.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Hi Gavin,

I thought I'd go for something a bit out the norm here. Seeing as we're on a drum forum and you're a drummer and I'm a drummer and everyone else here is a drummer......

Do you play guitar? Or any other kind of instrument? I've seen the video of 19 days and am I right to assume you composed and played each piece?

I've recently started the guitar because I feel you can let out a whole different range of musical emotions so to speak. Whats your opinion?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DT91

Do you play guitar? Or any other kind of instrument? I've seen the video of 19 days and am I right to assume you composed and played each piece?

Yes I play guitar, bass and keyboards (all pretty badly). The only things that I play on 19 Days are the drums and the marimba. The piano and one of the gamelans were played by Dave Stewart plus various other keyboard things. The second gamelan was played by Barbara Gaskin. Bass: Laurence Cottle, Guitar: Phil Palmer Trumpets: John Thirkell. I co-composed the piece with Dave Stewart.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Hi Gavin, I just purchased both of your DVDs today and I love them. I can't wait to go to jazz band rehearsal tomorrow and play around with some of the ideas I got from the videos!

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched a bit but didn't find any info; maybe another member could help..

Did you record Slippin' Away II and Quite Firm yourself? I bought both tracks off of iTunes to play along with and while they're both great songs I was wondering if the particular arrangements you used in the DVD are available to purchase?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:52 AM

hi gavin
how're you?
i have a question for you.
actually i'm working on a italian pop project, and your recordings (especially live records with claudio baglioni) are very helpful.
You've passed a lot of years here in italy, and your knowledge of Italian style of playing music (in this case, drumming) is amazing..Franco battiato, eugenio finardi...and many others.
have you some advices for play pop music?some tricks and ideas that you apply to make the music sounds more "GROOVY"?some advices?
thanks a lot.
greetings from Italy.
Riccardo
Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi Gavin, I wonder if you could explain to me what kind of fill you did on the song "Fear of a blank planet" at 2:37seconds. is it a displacement of groups of fives? snare and crashes???? how do you do it? thank you very much.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi colinjnk

Did you record Slippin' Away II and Quite Firm yourself? I bought both tracks off of iTunes to play along with and while they're both great songs I was wondering if the particular arrangements you used in the DVD are available to purchase?

Yes I did, and no they can't be purchased separately - sorry.

Hi ItalianRicky

You've passed a lot of years here in italy, and your knowledge of Italian style of playing music (in this case, drumming) is amazing..Franco battiato, eugenio finardi...and many others. have you some advices for play pop music?some tricks and ideas that you apply to make the music sounds more "GROOVY"?some advices?

Funnily enough I'm doing a Claudio Baglioni session right now in Milan. Every time I do a pop session it reinforces the idea to me that the timing is the most important thing and has to be very consistent. I try to find little spaces between the vocal lines to slip in a little bit of colouring - whether that's a triplet on the hi hat or a little tom hit or whatever - you need to keep it small.

Hi atman

Hi Gavin, I wonder if you could explain to me what kind of fill you did on the song "Fear of a blank planet" at 2:37seconds. is it a displacement of groups of fives? snare and crashes???? how do you do it? thank you very much.

I don't really know. I just listened to it and it sounds like a group of six (32nds) to me.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

I don't really know. I just listened to it and it sounds like a group of six (32nds) to me.

cheers
Gavin
LOL!
I just came here to say that you are a huge inspiration to me. Your music really opened me up to a lot of new ideas, and I definitely am planning on getting your books and DVDs once I feel I am at the skill level where I can handle them haha.
Once again, thanks for all of your great music and the time that you take out of your affairs to help other drummers the world round.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM

wow! really???are you recording with claudio?amazing!
but you're in milan just now???
there's the possibility of a little meeting?i've tried to send you a pm but the drummerworld database have some problems!

Last edited by ItalianRicky; 02-09-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Concert in the Czech Republic

Hi Gavin,
A have small guestion for you.Will you be any concert with Porcupine tree in the Czech republic?
Thanks for your answear.
Mates
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ItalianRicky

Sorry - I'm already back in London.

Hi kotras

A have small guestion for you.Will you be any concert with Porcupine tree in the Czech republic?

I don't think we will be anytime soon. From the dates I've seen so far - Czech Republic were not on the list. It's usually our agent and manager who decide the countries and venues based on offers they receive. Maybe a Czech promoter hasn't requested us?

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Hi ItalianRicky

Sorry - I'm already back in London.
don't worry, thanks anyway!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Tribute to Gavin from Aussie

Hey Gavin,
I've been getting heavily into your playing lately. I love finding a new drummer to gain inspiration from, as I've done in the past with Ian Paice, Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl, Omar Hakim, Marco Minnemann, JoJo Mayer etc. Your insights in the Vic Firth interviews are something I encourage all my students to see and hear.
I write a lot of solos for high school drum assessments and am currently working on one loosely dedicated to your playing style (crisp, dazzling fills, solid grooves and overt musicality.) Let me know if you'd like to look it over when it's done (in Sibelius 5.) It'd be an honour.
Thanks again for your hip playing (the Porcupine Tree dvd is awesome.) I was stoked to hear you're working with King Crimson as well, one of the greatest bands ever. Are you still in PT?
Hope to catch you down under sometime.
Cheers,
Dave Hopgood.
Drummer and Percussion teacher, South Australia.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:11 AM

Hi Gavin,
Im talkin from Brazil.
Can you indicate a Sonor snare drum to me? I saw some Sonor artist series, but I dont know the sound of these snares. My sister will send it to me from switzerland.
I want a "versatile" snare to play songs like Incognito to progressive rock (like you play).
What is your Hi-hat cymbals? Did you already use Hybrid Hi-hat Zildjian cymbals? Do you like it?
Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Hi Gavin,

recently you wrote "Usually I'm trying to avoid the snares sympathetically vibrating when I play some of the toms". How do you do that?

Thanks for your advice,
Gernot

P.S. I can hardly wait for the release of the PT live CD for members of ROABP 2.0.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have two questions for you:

- In the "Open Car" live version, how do you think of the rhythm (beats 2 and 3) - (see the picture below) ?

- Did you find any mistakes in the "Mellotron Scratch" transcription I posted few weeks ago?

Thanks very much !!

Bye

Alex P.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi Gavin,
- In the "Open Car" live version, how do you think of the rhythm (beats 2 and 3) - (see the picture below) ?
I thought it was 32nd notes starting on 2e.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi dahop

I write a lot of solos for high school drum assessments and am currently working on one loosely dedicated to your playing style. Let me know if you'd like to look it over when it's done (in Sibelius 5.) It'd be an honour.

Thanks - I'll take a look at it - but I don't have Sibelius - can you make it a pdf?

Hi Marcos

Can you indicate a Sonor snare drum to me? I saw some Sonor artist series, but I don‘t know the sound of these snares. My sister will send it to me from switzerland.
I want a "versatile" snare to play songs like Incognito to progressive rock (like you play).
What is your Hi-hat cymbals? Did you already use Hybrid Hi-hat Zildjian cymbals? Do you like it?

Selecting snares is a pretty personal thing. You should try to play one first. I like a lot of their snares but for different reasons and for different applications. Normally I use Zildjian 13" K hi hats.

Hi loser_user

recently you wrote "Usually I'm trying to avoid the snares sympathetically vibrating when I play some of the toms". How do you do that?

By carefully tuning the toms in relation to the snare drum pitch. Having only 8 strand snare wires helps too.

Hi Alex P.

I would say that Joe P is right - 32nd notes in groups of 3 starting on the 2e

- Did you find any mistakes in the "Mellotron Scratch" transcription I posted few weeks ago?

I haven't had the time to go through it carefully but I had a quick look and it seems very good.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Having only 8 strand snare wires helps too.

cheers
Gavin

Do you just cut off the other snare wires? I haven't seen a stand alone 8 strand of snare wires.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi gibeachhead,

They start life as Puresound 12 strand and then I take off two strands from each side - leaving 8 strands in the middle.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Hi gibeachhead,

They start life as Puresound 12 strand and then I take off two strands from each side - leaving 8 strands in the middle.

cheers
Gavin
I might have to try that, cause I try all I can but still have some buzz from playing the toms.

Thanks Gavin.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Gavin is my favorite drummer every to walk this earth.

Gavin, are there any plans of coming to New York with porcupine tree this year?

The midi files on your dvd are very fun to play along to, I love the 7/8 patterns.

Also, here is a question only you can answer; What kind of cigarettes does Steven Wilson smoke?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:

I would say that Joe P is right - 32nd notes in groups of 3 starting on the 2e
Sorry, I did not express myself well. I was talking about the second bar of the "live part".

I can't give you more details about my question, because i'm not very conversant with the "english rhythm vocabulary" (8th notes, group of, ....), it's very different in france ...!
Well, i hope you still understand the question !!

Thanks very much!
and I look forward to see the new Porcupine DVD

Bye

Alex P.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kongo

Gavin, are there any plans of coming to New York with porcupine tree this year?

Yes there are - but we haven't finalised the dates yet.

What kind of cigarettes does Steven Wilson smoke?

He doesn't smoke.

Hi Alex,
I'm pretty sure I know which bar you mean - it's from the middle section of the song. Here it is written in double time.

Name:  Open car.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  54.8 KB

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Hi Alex,
I'm pretty sure I know which bar you mean - it's from the middle section of the song. Here it is written in double time.

Attachment 24703

cheers
Gavin
Yes !! Of course this is it !!!
I was miles away from this with my "triplets".

Thank you very much for the help!

Alex P.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM

Ah man, I thought he did. Anyway, I have a pop quiz....when did you say this?

"You know, some people get scared of going on stage. It's the anticipation of something that's going happen. something bad is going to happen to you, its going to go wrong. When their on there, their okay, its just the build up to it. You know, leading up to what they think is going to be a really bad experience. very strange thing"
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Hi Gavin,

I read earlier that you've seen the dates for your upcoming tour?

Could you enlighten us if you and the rest of Porcupine Tree would be making an appearance at the UK prog festival called Summer's End?

I can understand if PT are all about keeping tour dates hush hush but I'm also sure that there are plenty of UK prog nuts in this here forum that would similarly love to know.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:24 PM

I can't believe the second 05ric album circles is nearly there, time just flies by. I'm liking the preview part 1 too, can't wait for this to be released!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kongo,

I've no idea when I said that.

Hi DT91

Could you enlighten us if you and the rest of Porcupine Tree would be making an appearance at the UK prog festival called Summer's End?

I haven't seen that date - but that's not to say that I might in the future.

Hi trysthedrummer

I can't believe the second 05ric album circles is nearly there, time just flies by. I'm liking the preview part 1 too, can't wait for this to be released!

Thanks - for anyone who may be interested - here's a sneak preview of the first half of my new record with 05Ric. I'm really happy with it and will post some stuff here at Drummerworld when it's available.

www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Hi NeuroAxis....thanks for the reply...

I know how to replace and tune my drums....but every drummer has a different technique and I was just curious for Gavin's method....maybe pick up a helpfull tip along the way...

I did use a hairdryer in the past...I think I saw Bob Gatzen do it in his DVD...I also use a Tama Tension Watch sometimes....it helps you get the tension right all over the head...but it doesnt tune it though....

I mainly do it as Dave Weckl does in his instructional DVD, cause I think he has the best drum sound in the world today...The sound of his drumset on Multiplicity is just phenomenal...Watch Your Step

But following his instructions did not make my drums sound as beautifull as his.....hummmm strange...

I guess the biggest problem is expierence...I just dont play enough for me to have my heads replaced that much...

Take care,
Andre
I've always found that drum tuning is a personal thing. You'll never get a drummer's sound with same gear and same hardware, due to the amount that mics and studio gear put towards the sound. Not only that....the weight and material of the sticks count too.
That is as far as I know anyway....I might be seriously wrong...