DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-29-2008, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin -

Just picked up the Jan MD with your cover article--great stuff. It's great particularly to have full transcriptions of some of the 05 Ric stuff, and the Crim head in me really enjoyed all the inside stories about Pat Mastelotto and Robert Fripp.

My question was actually about the cover pic. You're using some interesting-looking tom mics that seem almost like Shure SM-98s in size and configuration but I can tell they are not. Just curious what kind of mics those are.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:15 AM

Default 5 splashes

Hi Gavin, I really like your drumming style, you are a real inspiration for me. I really like the way your drums sound by the way. I want to know if it's possible to buy something like your 5 small splashes? It's just amazing the way you introduce them in songs and i need to own something like those. (p.s. excuse my bad english, i'm a 15 years old from montreal(canada))
Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ogg,

Simply wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your playing on SW's amazing 'Insurgentes'. My fav' (so far) being the incredible 'NTWTCOTSun'...good stuff.

Thanks - I haven't heard the finished album yet - but I remember that one being a good one...21/4 if I remember rightly.

Hi Gus

I think it┤s time for a "Gavin Harrison custom signature snare" by Sonor ;-) Could be a good bussiness!!, or at least the end of questions about your snares :-)) -just joking-

I'd love to - Write to Sonor and request it!!

By the way, using the infinite SQ2 configurator, what should be ordered? A vintage shell snare without re enforcement hoops and rounded bearing edges?

The last snare they made me was "thin" shell (no support rings inside) and round bearing edges - but I don't think they offer that as a standard edge right now.

Hi Paul Nasstrom,

I have some issues though with drumming that you maybe could give me a smart tip about. Some exersises or something, I don't know. Well I have not been playing for very long. But one thing I find really hard is to keep the hi-hat going while im playing some groove on the ride. I find it really hard to do the same grooves between the kick, snare and ride when i'm playing the hi-hat with my foot. It would be really great if you had som tip or anything.

Yes it's a coordination thing - I spent ages practising a samba bass drum pattern ( K--K K--K K--K K--K ) whilst pedaling 8ths with my left foot on the hi hat and playing 16ths on the snare drum making sure they all line up properly.

Hi NeuroAxis

Just picked up the Jan MD with your cover article--great stuff. It's great particularly to have full transcriptions of some of the 05 Ric stuff,

Yes great work from my man Terry B.

My question was actually about the cover pic. You're using some interesting-looking tom mics that seem almost like Shure SM-98s in size and configuration but I can tell they are not. Just curious what kind of mics those are.

Beyer Opus 88 - great live tom mic and very easy to attach and position.

Hi lucbeauchamp

I want to know if it's possible to buy something like your 5 small splashes?

Not at the moment - but you could write to Zildjian and request them.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Insurgentes

Gavin:

I have just received and listened to my copy of Insurgentes. Can I say what an amazing piece of music this is, and to pass my congratulations to yourself and also to Steven and all who collaborated on it? I am just blown away with everything from the playing to the production. Wow... time to listen again :D

PS: I am rarely so sycophantic!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm transcribing Nil Recurring, "as promised".
Can you tell me which of these two writing is the good one, please?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi Gavin,

I'm transcribing Nil Recurring, "as promised".
Can you tell me which of these two writing is the good one, please?

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure he doesn't voice the first sixteenth with his foot - it's all hands.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Alex P,
I would say the first one - but I think of the opening section of that song in 6/8. After the stop I think of it in 3/4.

good luck
Gavin
Old 11-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin,

Wow this thread is getting enormous. Just stopping by to let you know that I loved the cover feature in the latest modern drummer. What a great opportunity to pick your brain and see what drives you. I'm really impressed by the hard work that you put into your drumming. I really think that you will be remembered for a long time as far as drummers go.

Ian
Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Just stopping by to let you know that I loved the cover feature in the latest modern drummer.
Yeah, that was amazing.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Just some info. Vicfirth is soon going to upload Gavin's clinic at pasic on their site!

Really looking forward to seeing it!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 PM

There is already a small clip from Gavins clinic!

http://vicfirth.com/features/PASIC2008.html
Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Ogg,

Simply wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your playing on SW's amazing 'Insurgentes'. My fav' (so far) being the incredible 'NTWTCOTSun'...good stuff.

Thanks - I haven't heard the finished album yet - but I remember that one being a good one...21/4 if I remember rightly.
21/4? Mind boggling! Not to take up too much of your time but I've been listening to 'Insurgentes' non-stop. Very much inspiring to hear your somewhat understated playing (such groove) throughout this.
May I ask just what you're playing during the intro of the third track 'Salvaging'? I can't get it out of my head or get on top of it with my full kit. I locked into it using my djembe...sounds simple but of course it's not. Thanks for your time.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Thank you Gavin for your reply!

I also have another question for you or anyone else who has tried out a few drumkits throughout their lifes. I'm planning on buying a kit sooner or later. Of course I want to by a Sonor Designer or something simular. But I don't think I can afford that one. I've been looking at a Sonor Delight and a Gretsch Renown Maple or Pure Wood. I'm just wondering if they're any good. If not, anyone is free to give me some advise on good drumkits.

Thank you!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Hey Gavin!

Me and some of my friends are going to play Anesthetize the 17th of December on a school show. We are wondering if you could send me, or let us know where we can download or buy, the Anesthetize live background video, which you have when you play it. It would be very kind of you!

Btw, Morgan ┼gren and Mats Íberg on thursday here in Umeň, will be sick!

Cheers/ Emil
Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM

Hi PTemil

I think the video of 'anesthetize' is included in the 'Blank Planet' DVD-A edition.
Good luck with the concert!!

Best regards

Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 12-02-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ogg,

May I ask just what you're playing during the intro of the third track 'Salvaging'? I can't get it out of my head or get on top of it with my full kit. I locked into it using my djembe...sounds simple but of course it's not. Thanks for your time.

I play it with the left hand on the hi hat - the snare drum on 2 & 4 and pick out those tom hits with the right hand too. There's also some ghost 16th's on the snare.

Hi Paul Nasstrom

I've been looking at a Sonor Delight and a Gretsch Renown Maple or Pure Wood. I'm just wondering if they're any good.

I don't know the Gretsch Renown - but I can tell you that the Sonor DeLight is a beautiful kit and sounds great. I played one for 5 years with Porcupine Tree whenever we toured America.

Hi PTEmil

Me and some of my friends are going to play Anesthetize the 17th of December on a school show. We are wondering if you could send me, or let us know where we can download or buy, the Anesthetize live background video, which you have when you play it.

I don't have it - nor is it for sale - but Gus maybe right about it being on the DVDA

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 PM

Hi!

What is the latest news on your new album with 05ric? Looking forward to it really much!

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
I can tell you that the Sonor DeLight is a beautiful kit and sounds great. I played one for 5 years with Porcupine Tree whenever we toured America.

cheers
Gavin
Oh how lovely! That's the one then! Tanks! :)
Old 12-03-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:

Hi PTEmil

Me and some of my friends are going to play Anesthetize the 17th of December on a school show. We are wondering if you could send me, or let us know where we can download or buy, the Anesthetize live background video, which you have when you play it.

I don't have it - nor is it for sale - but Gus maybe right about it being on the DVDA

cheers
Gavin
I can verify that it is indeed on the FOABP DVD-A.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
I can verify that it is indeed on the FOABP DVD-A.
In fact its on both DVD-a's. I have both (the first one in the deluxe edition with only foabp and the second edition with also nil recurring on it).
I believe its on youtube aswell. And I think that its on the myspace of lasse hoile (the creator of all porcupine tree media). You can mail him otherwise. He's a very nice guy.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Hi gavin..

Do you still practice a lot or do you mainly perform and play gigs, and if you do, what are you practicing right now? I was just curious about how far you developed the the stuff in your books in the time they where publiced and now..

Thanks, Stijn
Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Has anyone heard whether Zildjian is going to market the "Crash bells" or "cup chimes" they have prototyped for Gavin? I've emailed them and they said maybe winter NAMM 2009? I really hope they do!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:07 AM

^^^
now those will be some cool cup chimes I'd definitely want in my cymbal bag
Old 12-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Hey there Gavin! Just wanted to say how much I love your drumming on steve's new album! Definetly the best drum sound I've ever heard!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2008, 05:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DTrocks

What is the latest news on your new album with 05ric? Looking forward to it really much!

We're kind of half way through recording it. I'm really happy with the way it's turning out.

Hi Stijnn1990

Do you still practice a lot or do you mainly perform and play gigs, and if you do, what are you practicing right now? I was just curious about how far you developed the the stuff in your books in the time they where publiced and now..

I practise coordination things - and timing things. In fact here's something I've been practising. It's based on something I saw Steve Gadd do. The goal is not to play it fast - but to play it as accurately as possible. No flams between the hands and feet - try to really line up the snare notes EXACTLY with your feet. It's quite hard.
I normally start with ex.1 and then once I've got that comfortable move onto ex.2 and then go back to ex.1 as my 'home base' in between trying out ex.2 ex.3 and ex.4

After you feel comfortable with it there's an alternative bass drum and hi hat foot part below - go back and play all the snare drum line again but with that alternate foot ostinato.

Name:  Gav Coordination EX .jpg
Views: 3279
Size:  201.9 KB

Then I improvise on the kit and try to create new rhythm ideas - and when I find something I like I try to record it - either in audio version or notation. Then I try to manipulate it with displacement and modulation to see if I can create more interesting variations of it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Hey! I'm from Spain, and I'm the organizer of "Sa Costa Barrakes" a festival we do in Catalonia. I want Porcupine Tree come to do a concert in this festival but I don't know who is your manager here.

Can you tell me about a website or a phone contact?

Thank you! and sorry for my poor English!!!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 PM

Hey Gavin,

recently I've bought few pro mics and entered the beautiful but also extraordinary world of audio drum recording. Well I have to admit it's tough, there are so many variables and I can safely say this will be a long journey (but hopefully a nice one too). :)

Well, I absolutely love your drum sound. And this is the standard I want to achieve someday. I'm very interested to hear how your drums sound before any EQ and effects are applied. Is it possible to hear some short sample of your recent clean mix (or link if it's already posted, I did search the topic but couldn't find any). Of course, if it's not too much trouble. ;)

Cheers, Miha

Last edited by miha; 12-07-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Hi gavin, how're you?
i have only a simple question, on the videos of your last performances at MD i saw that you haven't your classic 13" K hats, but they seems to be a 13 K Hybrid hats...i'm wrong?
and your left crash, seems to be a crash of doom....that's a particular choice for MD or that's your new cymbal setup?

cheeers from Italy and Drumsportal.com!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM

Hey Gavin, greetings from Chile

I truly admire your work and here too. I've been a PT fan since I was 14. Your drumming has inspired a lot of people here.

Two Questions:
What defines a good drummer? In your opinion

What do you think about this thread?
http://www.fiveeightforums.com/200-r...x.html?t=62397

The purpose of the thread is obviously stupid, but it may give you a good laugh
Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Hey man, I saw in your MD interview this month, that you use one of the Hammerax effects cymbals, I am considering buying a couple for my setup as I use a LOT of effects in the music I play and was curious if you can describe the sound of the one you use and possibly one that would compliment it?

Thanks

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Gavin,

Brilliant article in this month's Modern Drummer. It's always a good read to find out how people come up with and execute ideas with the drums.

Also an equipment question - what kind of mics do you use on the toms? They had a small footprint and an interesting arm assembly!

Dominick
Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi miha

Well, I absolutely love your drum sound. And this is the standard I want to achieve someday. I'm very interested to hear how your drums sound before any EQ and effects are applied. Is it possible to hear some short sample of your recent clean mix (or link if it's already posted, I did search the topic but couldn't find any). Of course, if it's not too much trouble. ;)

I'm not at home at the moment so it's something I can't do.

Hi ItalianRicky

i have only a simple question, on the videos of your last performances at MD i saw that you haven't your classic 13" K hats, but they seems to be a 13 K Hybrid hats...i'm wrong? and your left crash, seems to be a crash of doom....that's a particular choice for MD or that's your new cymbal setup?

Yes they are just classic 13" K hi Hats - not hybrid. That crash was an 18" Crash Of Doom - I was using it in my King Crimson set up - and it seemed right for the MD Fest performance too.

Hi London

Two Questions:
What defines a good drummer? In your opinion

someone who has a nice groove. If they can play cool drum parts and fills - that's a bonus.

What do you think about this thread?
http://www.fiveeightforums.com/200-r...x.html?t=62397

I don't really think anything about it. It's a shame when people have to compare drummers - it happens all the time on YouTube. People always feel the need to keep imposing their list of favorite drummers on you. Music isn't a competition nor an Olympic event to me.

Hi Drumsword

Hey man, I saw in your MD interview this month, that you use one of the Hammerax effects cymbals, I am considering buying a couple for my setup as I use a LOT of effects in the music I play and was curious if you can describe the sound of the one you use and possibly one that would compliment it?

The guy from Hammerax lent myself and Pat Masteltto a few pieces to try in King Crimson. I just occasionally hit a very large gong type of piece.Sorry but I don't remember what it was called.

Hi Trip McNealy

Also an equipment question - what kind of mics do you use on the toms? They had a small footprint and an interesting arm assembly!

They are Beyer Opus 88 mics. Very nice in a live situation.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 AM

Hey Gavin!

First, thanks for keep answering our questions! You're an incredible drummer, with a sense of groove that's out of this world and a creativity without any stopping!

Since PTree announced the first gig supporting the new album, could you tell us how's it been your recordings for the new album, approaches, experimentations with grooves and sounds, anything new and cool you might wanna share with us, without spoiling too much?

And did you feel any difference working with Steven Wilson on Insurgentes compared working with him at the PTree environment? Specially since his songs on his solo album were much more about textures and moods, different than the more clear and obvious song structures on PTree.

Thanks once again for your music, a constant source of endless inspiration for me and a million other drummers here!

Heitor.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 AM

I need to pick up Steve's solo album.

New Album from PT-Sweet!

Can't wait to see them live again.

Gavin, I just want to add, I have been playing for about a year after being off for about 10 years.

You are a new influence for me. I hope to be able to play half as good as you.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Hi Gavin, well done with your playing on Insurgentes.

Can you please give more insight on why you chose the Beyer Opus 88 mics on toms for playing live? I've been drumming for years now and have decided to finally take the plunge in buying professional mics, but I don't yet know the most about mic'ing equipment out there. Did you ever use the sennheiser 421's live, or are they really just mics for use in the studio?

Thanks,
Simon
Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Heitor

Since PTree announced the first gig supporting the new album, could you tell us how's it been your recordings for the new album, approaches, experimentations with grooves and sounds, anything new and cool you might wanna share with us, without spoiling too much?

We are writing more songs at the moment. Can't really say more than that.

And did you feel any difference working with Steven Wilson on Insurgentes compared working with him at the PTree environment? Specially since his songs on his solo album were much more about textures and moods, different than the more clear and obvious song structures on PTree.

He had a pretty defined idea of what he wanted on his solo record - PT is more of an open platform for ideas.

Hi Pandrex

Can you please give more insight on why you chose the Beyer Opus 88 mics on toms for playing live? I've been drumming for years now and have decided to finally take the plunge in buying professional mics, but I don't yet know the most about mic'ing equipment out there. Did you ever use the sennheiser 421's live, or are they really just mics for use in the studio?

I love the 421 on the toms - it's my favorite - but it's not an easy mic to tour with because it's big and cumbersome (has a strange and delicate mounting arm) - and I've had problems with them breaking down. The Beyer Opus mics have a very small footprint and can happily sit there all night without moving. They can take the occasional hit from a wild drum stick too. I used them with King Crimson and enjoyed them. With PT our sound engineer likes the EV N/D468.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-10-2008, 04:52 AM

Hey Gavin,

What is, in your opinion, the most effective strategy for developing good timing? Is playing a single drumbeat to a click for an hour straight a waste of time, i.e. could it be spent more effectively? What is the role of practising basic rudiments in developing good overall timing in drumset playing?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hi Trip McNealy

They are Beyer Opus 88 mics. Very nice in a live situation.

cheers
Gavin
Thanks Gavin, I'll give them a researching... what is the rest of your typical KC setup along with the Opus 88 mics... snares, kick, overheads, etc.

Your time in answering our questions is always appreciated!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 AM

Hi Gavin

Are your new -and famous- 'crash bells' similar in sound to those old 8" EFX 1, that Zildjian had long time ago?. I think you had one in your 'Horizons' DVD.

Many thanks in advance for your time...

Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 12-10-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 AM

I have become a bit of a "horder" of those EFX 8" and 10" cymbals. They pop up on ebay pretty frequently. From what I've been told Zildjian isn't introducing any "crash bells" or "cup chimes" at January NAMM.

I'm treated like gold my Tama (Hoshino) I'm not a "BIG" name artist but I do a consistent amount of live and session work and have played on major label and major indie label releases, as well as broadway, film sountracks. This is enough for Tama to build unusual and cusotm drums for me. I explain this to Zildjian and say "I own over a hundred Zildjian cymbals, percussion, gongs, etc... I'm not asking for any free gear, just want a few "sound lab" crash bells, which i'll happily pay full retail for". they simply said no every time. I'm sure Sabian would make them, they are much more customer service oriented but for some reason i'm loyal to Z!