DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hello Mr. Harrison

My forum troubles is finally solved, it was just a bug I think. Anyway, today I noticed that PT is going Ruisrock! That's great as I've tickets since long! I'm looking forward to it!

Keep drumming! Your awesome!
/Emil
Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Hi Gavin!

I just wanted to tell you that the new ep is absolutely fantastic, the songs are great and your drumming (as always) a great inspiration to me!

I got to see both your shows in Norway last year, and the second one at "Sentrum Scene" is probably my greatest concert experience ever!
The way you played "What Happens Now?" was just hilariously good. And finally I got to hear your rendition of my favourite of the older era Porcupine Tree songs (Dark Matter).

Anyway I have a little question.. As I was digging around the net to see if there were some forgotten Gavin gems around, I came across a clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toTY1xvmPeY

And Im not a 100% percent sure it is you, but pretty close though.
Anyway my question to you is not a technical one, but Im wondering if you could tell us about the Iggy Pop gig(s). How did you get it, and is there any memorable moments you could tell us about!

Keep On Rockin'
Chris!

Edit: Found another one of those: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-85...eature=related
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 PM

Are you using a standard zildjian k-ride on futile on the rythmic horizons dvd? And on the arriving somwhere dvd?

are you able to get a soundclip of just the ride? I'm wondering if i'm going to buy one...

cheers!
Sondre
Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrocks View Post

are you able to get a soundclip of just the ride? I'm wondering if i'm going to buy one...
The Zildjian site has sound clips of all their cymbals:
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/default.ad2

And the ride in Futile...chances are it's the one mentioned here perhaps:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...0&postcount=35
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cvighals,

Anyway my question to you is not a technical one, but Im wondering if you could tell us about the Iggy Pop gig(s). How did you get it, and is there any memorable moments you could tell us about!

Yup, that is me - (22 years ago!!) That video is quite painfully out of sync ..and can you believe that hair cut? Who didn't have an embarrassing hair style in the 80's? A friend of mine told me that Iggy was auditioning drummers in London in Early 1986. I found out who was organising the auditions and asked if I could be included. I found out the two songs they were trying drummers out with and I went and bought the records. I learnt the songs, auditioned and got the gig.
I'd never seen Iggy Pop live - until I was sitting behind him playing the drums - and boy was he amazing. I've never seen anyone work harder on stage.

Hi DTrocks,

Are you using a standard zildjian k-ride on futile on the rythmic horizons dvd? And on the arriving somwhere dvd? ..are you able to get a soundclip of just the ride? I'm wondering if i'm going to buy one...

On the "Futile" video I'm using my old vintage 20" Avedis Zildjian ride. The Arriving Somewhere DVD is a standard 20" K Ride...the same one I still use with PT. I don't have a soundclip of it - but I can tell you that it's a very versatile ride that I've used in many different musical situations.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-23-2008, 10:11 PM

Hey!

Do you have any new projects that you´re working on?

By the way I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZndLbpnR4U
Very cool little solo!

cheers
Sondre
Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

I noticed on the Iggy Pop video that you wear gloves.
When and why did you start using them and since you don't use them any more why did you stop using them.

Although I never tried gloves myself I can't really imagine it would be comfortable.

Greetz,
Dre
Old 03-24-2008, 06:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DTrocks,

Do you have any new projects that you´re working on? By the way I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZndLbpnR4U Very cool little solo!

At the moment I'm trying to learn King Crimson songs - but I have written nearly a whole new album with 05Ric - hope to get it out later this year. Yes that video is from 1996 in Milan Italy .

Hi Drizzle,

I noticed on the Iggy Pop video that you wear gloves. When and why did you start using them and since you don't use them any more why did you stop using them.

I stopped using them straight after that tour. I never found them very comfortable to play with, but I had a lot of pain with blisters etc. Now what I have to do is go through rehearsals and the first couple of shows with PT until I build up my callouses. After a week on the road my hands look like this - which I know isn't pretty but once they're back I've got no more blisters for the rest of the tour.
Name:  Left hand.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  184.8 KB

Name:  Left hand2.jpg
Views: 4779
Size:  200.5 KB

Name:  Right hand 2.jpg
Views: 3203
Size:  272.7 KB

Name:  Right hand.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  181.8 KB

The only other problem I get is that sometimes the skin splits along the groove (of the finger print) on the end of my middle finger right hand (in the pic above) and on my small finger left hand. These pictures show quite accurately how my grip is different for both hands. In the early stages of rehearsals or shows I sometimes use band aids (recommended to me by my friend Todd Sucherman) called NexCare Comfort Strips - they really are better than all the others I've tried because they stretch and have some grip to their surface.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

[i] ..and can you believe that hair cut? Who didn't have an embarrassing hair style in the 80's?
\

That is a pretty killer mullet, I have to say
Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 PM

I sometimes have similar problems, I've split the skin along the groove on my pinky finger a couple of times, but I thought it had to do with my hands being to dry.

Have you ever considered using tape on the drumsticks?

Dre
Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 AM

hello gavin,

I would like to congradulate you on your new band membership in king crimson. Must of been an overwhelming offer. Ive been following your work for a while now, and sounds like you will be a great audition to the band.

What are the differences between fripp and wilsons creative processes?

I was going to play your piece "19 days" for my berklee school of music audition, but i ended up scratching that idea, for OBVIOUS reasons.

I see that your going to play some shows on the east coast later this year with KC. You guys better come to LA!

best of luck,

mike
Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

some basic questions about chimes, again..
It's correct, that chimes, made of cymbals with higher quality, are louder than for example a Magic Cymbal, right?
How should I should I fix the screw of the cymbal? More hard or soft? Should the Chime swing long or short?
Is there a "norm" how many edge should be from the bell to the outside of the cymbal, or rather the minimum-size of a chime?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,

Have you ever considered using tape on the drumsticks?

No because I break so many sticks.

Hi Zildjian232,

What are the differences between fripp and wilsons creative processes?

I don't know because I haven't been in a creative situation with Robert Fripp yet.

Hi Kalma,

It's correct, that chimes, made of cymbals with higher quality, are louder than for example a Magic Cymbal, right?

What's a "Magic Cymbal" ? ...a lower quality grade cymbal? If so - I don't know because I've never made a bell/chime from a cymbal like that.

How should I should I fix the screw of the cymbal? More hard or soft? Should the Chime swing long or short?

I have mine fairly loose so they can swing freely.

Is there a "norm" how many edge should be from the bell to the outside of the cymbal, or rather the minimum-size of a chime?

I think if you made a bell/chime much smaller than 4" it would probably be pretty quiet....but I don't know as I haven't made one.

cheers
Gavin
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Your chimes seem to be getting quite popular Gavin. Zildjian should consider selling them as as Gavin Harrison signature chime pack!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM

I read every day questions and answers on this forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing own expiriences and a Big thank to Gavin for his true spirit of Open Source Musician!

There is OSS = Open Source Software.
Gavin = OSM = Open Source Musician.

Gavin thanks a lot!

With Respect,

Vladimer
Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 PM

I totaly agree with Anesth! That had been really cool! But then you need to sell a special stand for the chimes too.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

The Chime Stand will be produced by Sonor ;)

I'm going to build one in the next days, but I don't know how to fix it on a cymbal stand. Anyone an Idea?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi Gavin,

I was wondering a little about how you went about laying down your part for the song 'moonloop'. I wonder because, to me, it sounds like a song in which the drumming is improvised to an extent. I can follow the different grooves throughout the song and their form, but there is so much going on in that part that i percieve to be 'random' that i wondered if in fact you did improvise during your recording.

For example, during the first 5 minutes of the song there is a scattering of different ride bell accents and other nuances that don't seem (to me) to be in any formal structure or pattern (hope this make sense?!). If it were just one or two of these then i wouldn't have thought that it was improvised. But, because there are so many throughout the song and therefore so many for you to have remembered i thought that maybe you had just improvised those parts during the recording?! Just played by feel...

Either way it gives the song a great 'airy', 'scatterd' quality to it which works so well with the rest of the bands playing.

Also, if you did improvise during the recording of moonloop, did you improvise during the recording of any other PT songs??

Cheers,

-Luke

P.S Can't wait to see you and Porcupine Tree in Sydney!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ayl20,

I didn't play on Moonloop that was well before my time in the band. That would be Chris Maitland on drums. I've never played it live either.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 PM

Hi Gavin,

Back in Spring 2006 you did a couple of excercises in Rhythm Magazine. The first excercise was about the importance of making sure that you were accurate when a Hi-hat (or Cymbal) hit landed with a Snare or Bass and the second was an explanation of how you developed the Rhytmic Illusion for Mother and Child Divided using 10/16 I beleive.
I've since misplaced the Magazine and CD and was wondering if you know where I could get an MP3 of the excercises please.

Hope you're well,

Kev
Old 03-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Oh okay. For some reason i thought that you had re-done moonloop with PT for 'The Sky Moves Sideways' Remastered version where you recorded Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. Sorry about that. I just heard it a few days ago for the first time and i thought that it sounded like you were playing as i've never really heard Chris Maitland play (well i guess i have now) and i didn't think that it sounded like him.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Hi Gavin i love your way of play the drums, how you put a lot of mental aspects on drumming, i have a few questions for u, how u develop yours skills in odd times drumming and how start the idea of your illusion rhythms, and to finish can u give us a little transcription from P tree futile song, i dont understand some parts of the metrics of this song maybe one little transcription coul make me so happy to me and another fans of this great song

cheers from mexico
Raul GuERECA
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi K.Howden,

Back in Spring 2006 you did a couple of excercises in Rhythm Magazine. I've since misplaced the Magazine and CD and was wondering if you know where I could get an MP3 of the excercises please.

Sorry but I don't have that issue - they didn't send me a copy and I was away when it came out. Maybe another reader of this thread has it?

Hi Ayl20,

For some reason i thought that you had re-done moonloop with PT for 'The Sky Moves Sideways' Remastered version where you recorded Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches

Actually now you come to mention it - I think I did replace some drum loops that were on the original version of Dislocated Day but I can't remember the others.

Hi raguer,

i have a few questions for u, how u develop yours skills in odd times drumming and how start the idea of your illusion rhythms

They're kind of connected. I was never good at odd times and would get lost very easily - and that's when I started to hear displaced rhythms - and modulated rhythms. I worked on odd times by looping odd time bass riffs and just jamming over them for hours until it felt like second nature. It's much easier when there's a riff because you just sing it to yourself and you don't have to count. I never count when I play.

can u give us a little transcription from P tree futile song, i dont understand some parts of the metrics of this song maybe one little transcription coul make me so happy to me and another fans of this great song

I don't have the time right now - but I believe Terry Branam was working on a basic bar chart for it.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

can u give us a little transcription from P tree futile song, i dont understand some parts of the metrics of this song maybe one little transcription coul make me so happy to me and another fans of this great song

I don't have the time right now - but I believe Terry Branam was working on a basic bar chart for it.
Yes, indeed I am. I'm almost finished, but had to temporarily put it on the sideline to finish another project I have going right now. I will post it here soon when it is complete and after Gavin looks it over.

In the meantime, try searching this thread to find Gavin's explanation, and try counting 4/4 through the majority of it. (except for the chorus) It's pretty tricky, so good luck!

Terry
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Hi,

@Terry: What programm do you use to write the notation?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 PM

Hey Gav thanks for take the time to answer you are Amazing drummer and very humble
thats make u one of the very best, god bless u man, never change¡

Warm Hug from Mexico :)
Raul Güereca,
Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi,

@Terry: What programm do you use to write the notation?

Hi Kalma,

I am using the Finale software. It's pretty much all I use these days. Although Sibelius is very nice.

Terry
Old 03-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

I downloaded Finale 2008 but I couldn't set where for example the hihat should be, which means on which line..
Do you know where I can edit that?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Hi Gavin...

You are the Champ!!!:)

I am interesting what you think about samples of drum patterns which I recorded. I am not a drummer, I am playing the piano, synths etc., but I very like to compose drums patterns. In these works I recorded everything alone, except a few part of the guitar

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/sample1.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/sample2.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/sample3.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/CT.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/intro.mp3

All this samples was recorded at my Home Studio using only computer (Bass and drums are from VST), KORG PADKontrol and keys (Virus TI, V-Synth GT and Clavia Nord Stage 88)

best regards

Michal.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Hi Gavin!

From the PT DVD I noticed you all have a ear plug (except Steven, but hes hair is in the way!), is that a metronome? It would be quite hard to sync with the screen at Halo without a metronome.

cheers
/Emil
Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Hey guys,

My roomates and I jam together once and a while across town but live together in an apartment complex. Due to this fact our drummer is unable to practice on anything but a practice pad at home (electronic drums being too expensive for us college folk).

Has anyone, including Gavin Harrison, ever tried out the game Rock Band? While not even close to a substitute for real drums, I think it might keep our drummer's moral up. Should we try it out?

Thanks, and you rock.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 PM

Hi again Gavin,

I like very much the opening fill in FOR LACK OF, maybe some quintuplets on toms and zil-bell, with some notes in the bass drum?...i´m not sure

Thank you for give us a piece of your time here so frecuently, it says a lot of you.

Take care,
Gustavo
Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi szuwi,

I am interesting what you think about samples of drum patterns which I recorded.

sounds very good, shame it's just programmed drums and not someone playing them...but I like some of the patterns.

Hi PTEmil,

From the PT DVD I noticed you all have a ear plug (except Steven, but hes hair is in the way!), is that a metronome? It would be quite hard to sync with the screen at Halo without a metronome.

yes, it's been discussed quite a few times - we do all wear 'in ear monitors' (Steven has just one ear in). Of course to keep the films in sync there has to be a click.

Hi YeahGoodTimesFunStuff,

Has anyone, including Gavin Harrison, ever tried out the game Rock Band?

sorry - I've never heard of it - but I'm really out of touch regarding games etc. (AKA too old).

Hi Gus,

I like very much the opening fill in FOR LACK OF, maybe some quintuplets on toms and zil-bell, with some notes in the bass drum?

They are groupings of 5/16ths rather than quintuplets - but I'm glad you like it !!!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 PM

Hi Gavin! how are you?

if I remember correctly you mentioned some time ago that you would like the idea of doing something with Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah. I don't know what chances there are, but I wanted to let you know I would be thrilled (and I think a good amount of music lovers too) if it would ever happen!

Cheers!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Hi Gavin! how are you?

if I remember correctly you mentioned some time ago that you would like the idea of doing something with Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah. I don't know what chances there are, but I wanted to let you know I would be thrilled (and I think a good amount of music lovers too) if it would ever happen!

Cheers!
And then do the drum battle with Morgan Agren. Now that would be the (friendly) clash of titans! :)
Old 03-29-2008, 05:39 AM

Hey Gavin,

Did you ever attend college/university before ultimately playing drums as a career in the music industry? If so, were you majoring in music or did you have other plans?

Once again we appreciate you taking your time to answer our questions!

Thanks again,

Brent
Old 03-30-2008, 02:16 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi asmodeus,

No one would be more thrilled than me!!

Hi gibeachhead,

Did you ever attend college/university before ultimately playing drums as a career in the music industry? If so, were you majoring in music or did you have other plans?

I didn't attend any college - I left school 2 weeks before my 16th birthday because I had a gig that ran for 6 months.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 PM

Hi Gavin,

Regarding your split skin in your finger, have you ever tried superglue? It's a trick that rock climbers use as their skin gets dry and split from the chalk they use. Superglue was originally developed by the U.S. military to close wounds during the Vietnam war so it's fine to use on skin.

Just make sure you wait a few mins before picking your sticks up afterwards, or you may not be able to put them down again!

Love your work. I'm a big fan.
Gary
Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 AM

Hi Gavin!!

Sorry I didn't have time to read all the posts in this thread
and congrts you've won MD Magazine best Prog Drummer again

and I wanted to ask you what's the song title in this vid?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy0nRVHnQM

and where can i find it?
thats the vid that I found out you,
one of the best drumming I've ever heard.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi garycat,

Regarding your split skin in your finger, have you ever tried superglue? It's a trick that rock climbers use as their skin gets dry and split from the chalk they use. Superglue was originally developed by the U.S. military to close wounds during the Vietnam war so it's fine to use on skin.

I didn't know that - thanks for the tip - I'll try it out next time.

Hi Jit420,

congrts you've won MD Magazine best Prog Drummer

thanks - (I don't think it's been officially announced yet).

and I wanted to ask you what's the song title in this vid?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy0nRVHnQM and where can i find it?
thats the vid that I found out you, one of the best drumming I've ever heard.

The tune is called "19 Days" it's on my DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" with a playalong version in mp3 format plus a midi file version so you can slow it down or repeat just certain sections however you want. The video was shot by Bernhard Castiglioni at the Frankfurt Muisc show in 2007 and then uploaded on Drummerworld - (and it's a higher quality version than YouTube). http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrison2.html

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 04-01-2008 at 06:52 AM.