DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-03-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Thanks Gavin,

I thought you already had a certain concept. That this is not the case makes the whole thing even more sympathic. I will definetely follow your work with King Crimson and of course with PT. I hope you and your band(s) will come on tour to Germany as soon as possible. Do you come to the Musikmesse Frankfurt this year?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Thanks to Terry Branam of course.

You're very welcome!

Terry
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 PM

Gavin -

Watching Arriving Somewhere... something occurred to me. For the jam at the end of Hatesong do you guys count out a specific number of measures or do the other guys just wait for you to start riding on the china to signal the last two measures? Just wondering...
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Kalma and moncholo,

regarding that Swerve fill 1:24
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_DNViiEpx8Y

I think it's this
Attachment 16854

Cheers
Gavin
Guess i was wrong! The worst part is that i listen to it watching the transcription, and still it doesn't sound like that to me. Not to question Terry's abilities. Guess i must train my ear a bit more.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Moncholo,

Your ears are not failing you for sure. The notes are evenly spaced across the time. I am going to redo the transcription.

I will keep you all posted as to the results...

Terry
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Yes, after some sleepless deliberation I made Terry the music sample with the click.

We believe this is now correct.

Name:  Swerve Fill 2.jpg
Views: 3645
Size:  101.1 KB

Swerve solo.mp3

thanks again to Terry.

Hi loser_user,

I won't be in Frankfurt this year.

Hi NeuroAxis,

Watching Arriving Somewhere... something occurred to me. For the jam at the end of Hatesong do you guys count out a specific number of measures or do the other guys just wait for you to start riding on the china to signal the last two measures?

No they just watch me and I give them a nod for the ending.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM

Hi there Gavin! Yet another Chilean fan here. I actually took a flight from Chile to Mexico with 3 other friends just to see PT

But well, on to the questions

As we all know, a good chemistry between the drummer and the bass player is always necessary.

I just wanted to ask you the following:

Who is the bass player you have had the best time with, musically speaking? (besides 0zric maybe?).

How do you feel about playing with Colin Edwin?, i find him to be a very talented and inspirational bass player

That's it for the moment, may I add that i think that you taking the time to answer fan's questions is something admirable and very rare on this industry.

Regards, Matias

PS: Tell Colin that he has a fan in the southests country in the world!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Ok. That is just about the craziest fill i have ever seen!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi FellowBassPlayer,

Who is the bass player you have had the best time with, musically speaking? (besides 0zric maybe?).

I've been lucky enough to play with some amazing bass players such as Tony Levin, Mark King, John Giblin, Nathan East, Mick Karn, Danny Thompson, Randy Hope Taylor, Laurence Cottle, Martin Elliott and many others - all of them were great fun in one way or another.

I couldn't really pick one. From that list I suppose I spent the most time playing with John Giblin - and so we had a great rapport. I've also spent a lot of time playing with Colin from PT and over the past 6 years we got to know each others playing very well. It's always a partnership playing with a bass player.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-05-2008, 11:44 PM

Hey Gavin,

It was cool to read in the latest Modern Drummer you are like me a car racing fan?

Is there any specific serie you like ? F1, Touring car, Nascar?

Do you also race cars in your free time, or is it more a passive hobby?

Greetz,
Dre

Last edited by Drizzle; 02-06-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 AM

Hi Gavin,

I love the stuff you've done with your drumming throughout the years and the massive knowledge base you've built up into your books and dvds, it's completely mindblowing.

I've been playing drums over a year and a half now and I'm beginning to work my way through your rhythmic illusions book. I am very interested in illusions like those in the book and also syncopation in general.

Just on the first displacement exercises, does the syncopation become more natural with practice, so one would be able to displace any beat on the spot any amount of subdivisions, or will you always have to learn a new beat in displaced form from scratch each time?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,

Is there any specific serie you like ? F1, Touring car, Nascar?
Do you also race cars in your free time, or is it more a passive hobby?

I'm mad for Formula 1...but I don't get to drive too much these days - let alone race. I hardly go anywhere in my car.

Hi mp3guy,

Just on the first displacement exercises, does the syncopation become more natural with practice, so one would be able to displace any beat on the spot any amount of subdivisions, or will you always have to learn a new beat in displaced form from scratch each time?

Good question. Displacements do get easier the more you practice them - I can displace really simple beats pretty much on the spot into any position - and if you're using it as an effect - the simple beats are the ones you should use. If you're using displacement for compositional purposes - and displacing a quite complex beat - then I find I have to write it out and learn it as a 'new' beat.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin, I'm sure you have a ton of favorite drummers and many, many that you enjoy listening to, but are there one or two that you are listening to these days? Drummers that you find exciting?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi aydee,
one of the drummers who I really like at the moment is Morgan Agren

He played on an excellent album with the guitarist from Meshuggah. Lot's of samples from that record here..

http://www.myspace.com/fredrikthordendalsspecialdefects

and a medley played live from that record here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Hi Gavin

Hope all is well.

I have a question to ask.

Are there advantages to learning to play with a right hand set up as well as a left handed set up? Does this make any sense?

Reg
Old 02-10-2008, 04:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi reg,

There could be some interest from a practice point of view. Assuming that you're right handed/right footed and would play the left handed kit with your right hand on the hi hat. I tried for some time to play left hand lead on the hi hat (on my regular right handed kit - like Billy Cobham/Simon Phillips) - and although it made me feel different (and some new ideas came through) when I recorded myself - the time didn't feel as good as if I played the hi hat/ride with my right hand (so I gave up on it). However if you're interested in experimenting - I think having the hi hat on the right side (or in front of you) via a remote cable hi hat could be an interesting thing. I did sometimes play with a closed hi hat where my first floor tom would traditionally be - and I got a nice open feeling from it - plus it made me think differently. I can see little sense in playing a truly left handed kit where I would cross my left hand over my right to play the hi hat. It just wouldn't sound and feel as good as a right handed kit.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

do you know Chris Brien? He's a friend of mine, a multi pedal artist and he really loves your playing!!

When somebody is a Zildjian Artist, does he get broken cymbals from them to cut out Chimes like you?
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kalma

I don't know Chris Brien but I checked out his site and see that he has a pretty big multi pedal setup.

The Zildjian cymbals that I cut down were ones that I had bought and broke in the 70's/80's and were lying around in my garage.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 AM

Hey Gavin

Thanks for replying to my pm

Here's the questions , sorry I couldn't send them quicker.

What would you say are the typical responsibilities of a session/touring musician?

What characteristics do you feel are essential to survive being a touring musician?

As a musician at your level how would you rate your quality of lifestyle?

In terms of a salary for a professional drummer , what are the typical rates when you start off?

As regards to the working hours, how unsociable can they be, are you at the beck and call of the artist your playing for?

From your experience is there always some kind of contract involved when playing with artists , or is it more self-employed?

Would you say oppurtunites abroad are better than the UK , when it comes getting gigs?

When traveling are you responsible for your travelling expenses?

What qualifications do you have, or is word of mouth and networking more important?

Following on from that are any trade publications usefull for finding professional work?

What professional bodies do you think are essential or usefull, such as the MU?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

What would you say are the typical responsibilities of a session/touring musician?

Being professional. Knowing the songs before rehearsals start, being there on time, and being conscientious about every aspect.

What characteristics do you feel are essential to survive being a touring musician?

Having a sense of humour.

In terms of a salary for a professional drummer , what are the typical rates when you start off?

Mostly doing things for free or very low pay. I don't really know what folks get paid these days. Back in the early 80's I would do bar gigs for about 20

As regards to the working hours, how unsociable can they be, are you at the beck and call of the artist your playing for?

It's really not a 9 to 5 type of job. I have done recording sessions that started at 10am and finished at 4am the next day. Some artists prefer to work late at night - others want you playing the drums at 9am on the dot.

From your experience is there always some kind of contract involved when playing with artists , or is it more self-employed?

I've never had a contract with any artist.

Would you say oppurtunites abroad are better than the UK , when it comes getting gigs?

It's wherever you get a lucky break. In the early 90's, lucky breaks were coming from Italy for me.

When traveling are you responsible for your travelling expenses?

It depends on the type of tour you're on. Usually the artist pays the travelling expenses - whether that's the petrol money for your car (on small tours) or the plane ticket - or tour bus (on bigger tours). I don't charge the artist to get from my house to the airport.

What qualifications do you have, or is word of mouth and networking more important?

I don't have any real musical qualifications - word of mouth is what it's all about.

Following on from that are any trade publications usefull for finding professional work?

I don't know anymore. There used to be a weekly paper called "Melody Maker" around in my early days - and they had adverts for auditions.

What professional bodies do you think are essential or usefull, such as the MU?

The Musicians Union have a strong presence in theatres and TV/radio. When I started out it was pretty much compulsory to be a member. It maybe has less relevance to where I am now.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 PM

YESSSS!!

I'm so glad that you and PT are coming down-under. I can't wait for the Sydney show. I hope that you like it here.

I was wondering how long you guys are here for?? I see that you have 3 shows in 3 days.... do you have any plans to do any clinics while you are here or will you just be in and out with PT? Either way i can't wait to watch you and PT.

-Luke
Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 PM

Hello Gavin,

Nice to correspond with you. Love your work with PT and especially your drum sound and technique.

A couple of questions if I may.

1) I have recently started editing and creating new drum tracks from real drummer samples in ProTools. Mainly to write to and give me a better drum feel for composition (keyboards). I've wondered about the practicalities of recording real drum parts to my stuff but I guess it could be prohibitively expensive. Do you have a standard rate for recording drum parts at your studio?

2) A question re live work. Do PT take their own PA on tour and does that affect your drum sound from an audience perspective. Do you ever get big differences between what you hear (from your own monitoring) and what the audience hears? Do you use any form of attenuation to reduce the effects of very loud gigs?

Thanks for your time.

Geoff24
Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 PM

Hello Gavin,

Nice to correspond with you. Love your work with PT and especially your drum sound and technique.

A couple of questions if I may.

1) I have recently started editing and creating new drum tracks from real drummer samples in ProTools. Mainly to write to and give me a better drum feel for composition (keyboards). I've wondered about the practicalities of recording real drum parts to my stuff but I guess it could be prohibitively expensive. Do you have a standard rate for recording drum parts at your studio? Can you work with ProTools files?

2) A question re live work. Do PT take their own PA on tour and does that affect your drum sound from an audience perspective. Do you ever get big differences between what you hear (from your own monitoring) and what the audience hears? Do you use any form of attenuation to reduce the effects of very loud gigs?

Thanks for your time.

Geoff24
Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Thanks for replying!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Hey Gavin,

What's in your opinion the record(s) with the best drumsound?

Dre
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 AM

Hi there Gavin,

I've never really gotten round to trying to learn any of your songs (the shame i know :p )
but i was just wondering what you think would be the funnest/best song to learn for an intermediate player and maybe reasons why?

Oh and can't wait to see you play in the UK whenever that will be.

Rich
Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 AM

Default RSS Feed

I was wondering if Gavin or anyone else knew if it was possible to get an RSS feed of this forum and the threads. I sent a message to Bernhard but no reply. Must be busy. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:50 AM

Found some vintage GH footage rocking out at an Italian (I think?) gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZndLbpnR4U
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ayl20,

I'm so glad that you and PT are coming down-under...I see that you have 3 shows in 3 days.... do you have any plans to do any clinics while you are here or will you just be in and out with PT?

Yes, I'm working on trying to arrange some clinics.

Hi Geoff24,

I've wondered about the practicalities of recording real drum parts to my stuff but I guess it could be prohibitively expensive. Do you have a standard rate for recording drum parts at your studio? Can you work with ProTools files?

Yes I can work with Protools files. Contact me via PM.

Do PT take their own PA on tour and does that affect your drum sound from an audience perspective. Do you ever get big differences between what you hear (from your own monitoring) and what the audience hears? Do you use any form of attenuation to reduce the effects of very loud gigs?

No we don't carry our own PA around. I can't usually hear what's happening in the PA - but I can feel the volume and bass end in the room when the PA is on or off - so depending on the room it can affect my monitoring a bit.

Hi Drizzle,

That's a really tough question because I find it very hard to separate the drum sound from the personality of the player. When I hear John Bonham - I hear that drum sound. If I heard another drummer play on John's drums - I'm sure it wouldn't sound the same to me. So I just love 'his drumming' - (and his sound just comes along with it).
I love Jeff Porcaro's snare drum sound - but I just don't think it would sound the same if he wasn't playing it and placing it in the pocket as only he could. Does that make sense?
It's a thing that I find difficult about mixing and mastering - I find it very difficult to separate the 'sound' from the 'music'.

Hi DT91,

i was just wondering what you think would be the funnest/best song to learn for an intermediate player and maybe reasons why?

There's quite a few - but one that springs to mind is "The Sound Of Muzak" from "In Absentia". It has some good fun rhythms to play. The verses are in 7 and the choruses in 4.
cheers
Gavin
Old 02-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Hello!

I LOVED your workshop in Niederlenz (Musik Produktiv). I was the guy asking the question about the creative process. I hope you liked it here and am looking forward to see you again in switzerland...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Hi Drizzle,

That's a really tough question because I find it very hard to separate the drum sound from the personality of the player. When I hear John Bonham - I hear that drum sound. If I heard another drummer play on John's drums - I'm sure it wouldn't sound the same to me. So I just love 'his drumming' - (and his sound just comes along with it).
I love Jeff Porcaro's snare drum sound - but I just don't think it would sound the same if he wasn't playing it and placing it in the pocket as only he could. Does that make sense?
It's a thing that I find difficult about mixing and mastering - I find it very difficult to separate the 'sound' from the 'music'.

cheers
Gavin
I see what you mean, it reminds me of a something Neil Peart said about Steve Gadd's drumset while recording the Burning for Buddy sessions. Steve's drumset arrived the day before he supposed to play and his drum tech had set it up and Neil played it to set up the mixer and it sounded real dead and awful. Then when Steve came in the next day he started to play and it they sounded great....

Dre
Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 AM

HI Gavin, saw you in Quebec City with PT and I can honestly say that you are one of my favorite drummer . I bought your DVD (rhytmic horizons and Arriving somewhere) at the event and i watched it a lot, it's so inspiring to see you play different style of music. Your drum fills are so creative, melodic and rhytmic and most of all never obtrusive, you play a lot but it's always tasty . How do you develop such a unique style and how do you know when it's too much and when it's ok to do it? I also want to know what inspire you to do the little finger tapping on the snare head while you're doing cross sticking cause it's the first time I ever saw it, did it come from you or you heard another drummer do that before? And finally I want to know how do you switch from real loud playing to the subtlest buzz roll cause I have hard time switching dynamic like that at gig. I got so many more question but that's for an other post . Thank you.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Hey djlouis, that finger tapping while cross sticking has been around for a while. I know that Bernard Purdie used to do it while playing. There is a video of him doing it on youtube, just serach his name and you'll probably find it.... It adds some nice, extra groove to simple beats. Ever since i saw Purdie doing it i've added it in here and there while cross-sticking because it sounds so nice. I've never seen Gavin doing it before though... that's cool!!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 AM

Here is the link djlouis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FX_8...eature=related
Old 02-16-2008, 01:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi djlouis,

How do you develop such a unique style and how do you know when it's too much and when it's ok to do it?

I think the biggest determining factor in a musicians style is their personality. I realised this when I was first working in Italy and couldn't understand the language. I could quite easy feel the musicians personalities when I played music with them. Things like being gracious and tasteful - humorous - melancholic - right up to pushy and egotistical are pretty obvious if you're sensitive to that. Playing too much or not enough is also controlled by what your parameters of taste are. Having a feel for balance is very important for being tasteful. If you're going to play something tricky it needs to be balanced with an amount of simplicity - otherwise it becomes boring and meaningless.

(I'm not referring to myself here - they're just my observations).

I also want to know what inspire you to do the little finger tapping on the snare head while you're doing cross sticking cause it's the first time I ever saw it, did it come from you or you heard another drummer do that before?

Actually I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. I once saw Carlos Vega do it about 20 years ago when I was lucky enough to sit directly behind him at a concert. He also did a really cool 'flam cross stick' thing too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayl20 View Post
Wow....wow wowwww....

I hate it so much to be pointed to a crappy quality youtube link, when the original - where it was stolen from - is in our library:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/B..._Purdie16.html

Bernhard
Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks a lot for the Purdie link, that guy seems so funny but he's funky for sure.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Sorry Bernhard.... :(

I didn't know that the clip was hosted on here. I had just come across it randomly on youtube. I can understand why it would annoy you. Sorry again. Sorry for being off topic too.... back to the original thread.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayl20 View Post
Sorry Bernhard.... :(

I didn't know that the clip was hosted on here. I had just come across it randomly on youtube. I can understand why it would annoy you. Sorry again. Sorry for being off topic too.... back to the original thread.
No problem Ayl -- just vent sometimes

Bernhard
Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 PM

what kind of ride do you use, Gavin?