DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi s0nspark,

I am curious as to what roles you and Pat will play, as in the last situation (generally speaking) Pat held down the grooves freeing Bill to experiment over top... Any thoughts on that?

Sorry, I have no idea at this point.

Hi Mr. Hat,

I know that you prefer Waves C1 compression. What are some of the basic settings you use such as ratio, threshold, attack, etc? Do you roll off any frequencies? Do you use a gate on any of your drums?

I'm still out on tour in Europe - and all my settings are on my computer at home...so you'll have to wait for that answer.

Hi angelo,

I want to buy a microphone for my hi-hat I am undecided between a neumann tlm103, or neumann km 184 or akg c391

I've used all 3 mics and the one I would choose is the AKG CK391. It's probably cheaper than the KM184 as well.

Hi ProgFron,

I have both your DVD's and I have a question about your polyrhythmic fills.
When you're writing do you just go for it and see what works best, or do you really work a fill out in your head first?

It depends. I might have an idea of a polyrhythmic grouping just before I play it.
If I'm working on a new piece I might decide to just go for it and see what comes out.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 AM

Hello Gavin!

I'm wondering, since you've been behind the kit for 30+ years, how you've dealt with or made improvements in the way you break down/set up your kit. I've been playing for a year, and my kit is somewhat large (no rack, you can see pictures in the link under my signature).
Every week i've got various gigs to attend, and of course the first common-sense solution is to carry along less pieces, stands, cymbals, etc...

I've got a set of cases which helps smooth things a bit, but collapsing/re-setting all the cymbal stands for each different configuration is quite tiresome...
Anyhow, i'm just seeing if you've done anything over the years to ease the burden, because i'm getting pretty exhausted.

Thanks for continuing to set a higher standard for us :)
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Hello Gavin!!

Fantastic! wonderful, really a big realized dream, for me!!
Talk about PT live in Rome!!
Thanx master!!
I have seen you and PT for first time!! i was with Fausta, in first line :P :P

Thanx thanx thanx to you!! for your beckon!! >.<
I hope see you soon!!

Greetings from GHFC!!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi xopethx,

I'm wondering, since you've been behind the kit for 30+ years, how you've dealt with or made improvements in the way you break down/set up your kit.

I've been lucky enough to have had a drum tech do it for me for the past 15 years or so. But I do like having everything on the rack (mic stands as well) for ease of positioning and total recall-ability. I've always used a mat or carpet and marked the positions where the feet of the stands go and the bass drum spurs etc. Also I used to mark the stands with felt pens. It doesn't look great - but you can only see it up close - and I'd rather have a consistent set up. I've played the same kind of set up for more than 20 years now - so I know I'm not going to suddenly change my mind about a cymbal angle or height and therefore I can saw off excess metalwork. That also means it's easier to put the cymbal arms in the cases as un-collapsed as possible.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Hi Gavin,

All this talk of you and Pat Mastelotto playing together has got me thinking about dual drummers in a band setting.

--Have you ever had occasion to play with another drummer like this before and if so, did you like it? It seems to me some drummers love it and some really dislike it.

Also a couple of off the wall questions:

--What was the worst job you held down while trying to become a professional musician?

--What was the worst gig you did because it actually paid some money?

Thanks as always for your time!
Derek
Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have a couple of questions for you about Unsettled from 05Ric. First: What hi-hat cymbals are you using for this song? My ears tell me that youre not using your usual K hi-hats Im curious. Second: On your Rhythmic Horizons DVD you perform your solo on the B side. At 7:53 you move to a right-hand floor tom / left-hand hi-hat / 16th note triplets kick pattern. At Unsettled at 5:07 I hear something similar but not exactly similar. Was that groove in Unsettled, to some degree, born from your solo?

Last question: Do you miss your studio? Being creative, etc., on your own time? I know I miss mine even after a few days.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 AM

Hello again,

Several pages back you mentioned all the variables that go into a snare's sound, and you mentioned the size of the room you're playing in. Obviously it would depend on the drum itself , but do you have any tried and true general tips for tuning your snare before hand if you know you're going to be in a big room? Like less buzz or tighter head or whatnot?

I really enjoyed your performances at Musikmesse :) Endless creativity

Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mr.beefhead,

--Have you ever had occasion to play with another drummer like this before and if so, did you like it? It seems to me some drummers love it and some really dislike it.

I did a double drummer thing with an excellent Italian drummer called Elio Rivagli. We listened carefully and tried to play compatible parts. It was an interesting thing.

Hi JeffV71,

I have a couple of questions for you about Unsettled from 05Ric. First: What hi-hat cymbals are you using for this song?

I think there were 12" Zildjian ReMix hi hats

Second: On your Rhythmic Horizons DVD you perform your solo on the B side. At 7:53 you move to a right-hand floor tom / left-hand hi-hat / 16th note triplets kick pattern. At Unsettled at 5:07 I hear something similar but not exactly similar. Was that groove in Unsettled, to some degree, born from your solo?

No, it's an idea I've had kicking around my head for some time now. "Unsettled" didn't really come out of that solo. I think that solo was recorded a couple of years before.

Do you miss your studio? Being creative, etc., on your own time?

Yes, I love being there and having the chance to create whenever I feel like it.

Hi Spuz,

but do you have any tried and true general tips for tuning your snare before hand if you know you're going to be in a big room? Like less buzz or tighter head or whatnot?

I usually tune from an instinctive level - I always have more than one snare drum with me and I usually have a lot of different size "O" rings. It depends on the sound I want for the song in question. I try to keep the pitch of the snare drum away from the pitch of the toms so I don't get too much snare buzz from sympathetic vibration.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Gavin -
Congrats on the Crimson gig!

I think you're a perfect fit to sit in Brufords chair :)

Just courious did you have to auditon or did they target you and do you think you'll have to change your approach in terms of the way you supported PT verses KC?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi LinearDrummer,

No I didn't make an audition - Robert Fripp has seen me play many times when he was opening for PT. I'm sure I'll have to go into it with a very open mind - and be ready to change my approach to suit the situation.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-28-2007, 02:06 PM

hi gavin,
i purchchased your new cd drop at the concert in vienna and now i'm addicted to it...it really grooves like hell...and i've never heard such interesting rhythms before; i can imagine it was alot of work to invent these grooves

besides this do you know manu katche? do you like his style?...i think he is an amazing drummer who has amazing groove maybe not as much as you but not far behind...;-)
Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi 12:5,
thanks for the comments. Yes I tried very hard to come up with those grooves for the songs on "Drop". The really hard part was to navigate all the odd time signatures and not make them sound like an assault course. Sometimes I tried to disguise the odd times signatures and sometime make them obvious - but making it all flow was very challenging. Some songs I worked on for several days trying different ideas.
It took me at least a day or two just to get a recorded performance that I was happy with.

I really like Manu Katche - he's very interesting and at the same time very musical. He finds great drum parts to play. "Fallen Angel" by Robbie Robertson is one of the many masterpieces of Manu's playing.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 PM

Hi Gavin,
I have a couple questions regarding the tune "For Lack Of": Am I correct that the main groove alternates between 3/4 and 5/4? Only when or if time permits could you transcribe that groove or explain the sticking you use? Also for the chorus section with the ride on the upbeats; is it all in 3/4? I really enjoy how your snare accents outline the vocals in that section.
As always, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Clint
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 AM

Gavin - I know this has been said many times 'round these parts but I think it is super cool that you take time to answer questions from "the masses" :-) I, for one, greatly appreciate the time you take... Thank you so much!

As an aside, I just got the Rhythmic Visions DVD this week and am loving it! Also, "mrs. s0nspark" tells me I may be getting Rhythmic Horizons for Christmas... YAY! :-)

Best wishes for the holidays!

ps - *fingers crossed* for a Modern Drummer cover before too long ;-)

Last edited by s0nspark; 11-29-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Clint Hopkins,

I have a couple questions regarding the tune "For Lack Of": Am I correct that the main groove alternates between 3/4 and 5/4? Only when or if time permits could you transcribe that groove or explain the sticking you use?

It's all in 4/4. I can't transcribe it at the moment because I have no scanner with me (Maybe a transcriber reading this thread would care to do it??) Anyway here's the bass drum line in 16th's subdivisions 4/4:

|- - - x x - x - - - - - - - - - | x - x - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

here's the snare drum line

| - - - - - - - x - - - - - - - - | - - - x - - - - - - - - - - - - |

Also for the chorus section with the ride on the upbeats; is it all in 3/4?

Yes that's the basic idea but I think there's a bar of 4/4 in there too. I tried to make the snare hits compliment the vocals.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I'm sure I'll have to go into it with a very open mind - and be ready to change my approach to suit the situation.
Man, you're not kidding! Maybe Fripp will ask you to not play any cymbals, as he did with Bruford! :) I can't wait to hear the interesting places that project goes in!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 AM

Hey Gavin.
I saw you guys in Atlanta and noticed the show was being recorded but didn't hear exactly what it was for. Was it for an XM-type disc perhaps? You have been kind to share with us quite a bit of information. We all appreciate it. I was curious to know if you could share with us your preferences for panning while mixing. Do you mix your overheads hard left and right or do you prefer a narrower soundstage? Where do you place your toms in the mix etc? I realize this kind of thing is subjective and I'm sure changes depending on the situation.
Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hat View Post
Hey Gavin.
I saw you guys in Atlanta and noticed the show was being recorded but didn't hear exactly what it was for. Was it for an XM-type disc perhaps?
Gavin did say that PT is planning to release a live record of the current tour :)
Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mr. Hat,

I saw you guys in Atlanta and noticed the show was being recorded but didn't hear exactly what it was for.

Yes that show was recorded for potential live album material. Some other shows have been recorded too.

I was curious to know if you could share with us your preferences for panning while mixing.

Yes I pan the overheads hard left and hard right. I pan the drums from the view I have when I'm playing them. So on the records you'll hear the hi hat on the left - ride on the right and the toms (from high to low) going from left to right. Only the overheads are hard panned - everything else is panned as you would see it from the drummers perspective.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-01-2007, 02:45 AM

Gavin,

Congrats on the Crimson gig ! I can say that I am POSITIVE that the music created around the combined talents is likely to produce some of the most interesting music Crimson has done in many years.

Will all respect to Bruford and their past drummers, I dont think they have played with anyone that can "play around with time" as well as you do. The way you are able to subdivide time and make it feel good even when it gets very complex drops my jaw to the ground every time I hear it. Sorry for all the gushing man its just that it is very inspiring to listen to your drumming.

Oh yeah, getting to play with Tony Levin..

Priceless...
Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Hi Gavin,

Yes I pan the overheads hard left and hard right. I pan the drums from the view I have when I'm playing them.

Interesting... I've recorded myself for fun about five years now and it's a very slow process learning to get a decent drum sound, lots of trial and error. I sometimes think what's harder : learning to play drums or sound engineering...
I just received my new drumset (Pearl Reference) and I'm right in the middle of getting it miked-up and 'dialed' in.

Do you use your overheads for the whole kit or just the cymbals with maybe an extra room mic?

And what is your mixer procedure.
Do you start with overheads and add individual drums later or do start with for example the snare, bass, toms etc.
I always start with the overheads and get a decent drumsound from them and then add bass, snare, toms etc..

I have a mixer connected to a computer running Cubase, should I already use eq on the mixer or is it better to do all 'enhancing' later in Cubase.

Do you pan on the mixer or in the software you're using.

Also on which drums (snare, overheads,...) do you add reverb?

That's it for now, OMG I have so many questions I could ask you..........

See you Wednesday in Amsterdam,

Dre
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Gavin, I heard a rumour you were playing on an upcoming King Crimson album? Is there any truth to these rumours or am I being misinformed? Good choice if so for both parties.

EDIT: Just found out for myself from Fripp's diary. Congratulations.

Last edited by Mediocrefunkybeat; 12-01-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid_Drummer,

Oh yeah, getting to play with Tony Levin..Priceless...

thanks for the comments - and I had the pleasure to play on a tour with Tony in 1992. Great inspiring playing.

Hi Drizzle,

Do you use your overheads for the whole kit or just the cymbals with maybe an extra room mic?

It depends. There's two different approaches - if the room the kit is in sounds great - then starting with the overheads and filling in the other close mics a little gives a nice natural drum sound. If the room you're playing doesn't sound great - then I would start with the close mics and treat the overheads as "cymbal" mics. Of course you also have the option of adding digital reverbs - or live ambient room mics. When adding digital reverb I just add it to mostly the snare drum and a bit to the toms. Nothing else. I also add the Waves C1 compressor to the snare - and maybe a tiny bit to the toms & overheads.

Hi Mediocrefunkybeat,

I heard a rumour you were playing on an upcoming King Crimson album?

I've been asked to play with them in some live concerts next year. I don't know anything about an album. Where did you read that?

Cheers
Gavin
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:

Hi Santibanks,

Also, are you familiar with these microphones:

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html

I've never heard of them, so I can't comment about them.

Cheers
Gavin
No problemo ! I might check them out myself soon (they have some new models out) and maybe I will use them on drums during rehearsals. If you are interested at that time in some samples, let me know.

Congrats on the crimson gig btw !

See you wednesday (and this time, I hope to be at front row...)
Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 AM

Default please recommend some GH recordings

I know it's old news but I just read that GH is joining Crimson next year. How exciting! Honestly, I've never heard of GH. I've never heard Porcupine Tree's music. (hangs head in shame)

I love all of Crimson's music (especially Beat and The Power To Believe) and all of Adrian Belew's music. I'm also into XTC, The Beatles, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, ELP, David Bowie (late '70s and early '80s), Zeppelin, and (earlier) Zappa. The only Genesis song that I like is "Dancing On A Volcano." I became a drummer because of the Dave Clark Five (!!!). Bruford (in Crim) and Palmer are my drum gods.

Anyway, please suggest some songs and/or recordings/CDs that represent Gavin's talent and style. I'd like to become familiar with his music prior to the start of Crim 2008. OK to respond directly to crimsonkng@mail.com

Thanks. Dan
Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: please recommend some GH recordings

Hi Ccrimsokng,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonkng View Post
I know it's old news but I just read that GH is joining Crimson next year. How exciting! Honestly, I've never heard of GH. I've never heard Porcupine Tree's music. (hangs head in shame)

I love all of Crimson's music (especially Beat and The Power To Believe) and all of Adrian Belew's music. I'm also into XTC, The Beatles, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, ELP, David Bowie (late '70s and early '80s), Zeppelin, and (earlier) Zappa. The only Genesis song that I like is "Dancing On A Volcano." I became a drummer because of the Dave Clark Five (!!!). Bruford (in Crim) and Palmer are my drum gods.

Anyway, please suggest some songs and/or recordings/CDs that represent Gavin's talent and style. I'd like to become familiar with his music prior to the start of Crim 2008. OK to respond directly to crimsonkng@mail.com

Thanks. Dan
I'd suggest you pay a visit to Gavin's site here on drummerworld and check out the sound files and videos. i particulary like the videos from the musikmesse gig this year:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrison1.html

The other samples are a very fine treat as well. And if you want to check out Porcupine Tree stuff, I'd recommend In Absentia ;)
Old 12-04-2007, 03:26 AM

Gavin -

I've followed your work for many years; glad you're here.

And an amazing show in Houston a few months ago, BTW.

I had a question about Anesthetize. The fast double bass part at the end, right before the last chorus and the psychadelic jam outro, is that just straight 32nd note double bass or is it some broken up pattern?

Thanks...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroAxis View Post
Gavin -

I've followed your work for many years; glad you're here.

And an amazing show in Houston a few months ago, BTW.

I had a question about Anesthetize. The fast double bass part at the end, right before the last chorus and the psychadelic jam outro, is that just straight 32nd note double bass or is it some broken up pattern?

Thanks...
I believe you're talking about this:

Gavin transcribed it a while back (post 1407) along with a fill from Anesthetize. It repeats every three beats, over the band's 4/4.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 AM

Gavin...long time no talk. I made some chimes like you instructed and they came out great.

I searched the thread and couldnt really find anything about your kick sound. I know your using a powerstroke 3 (i believe I remember that from an early post about heads).

What is your bassdrum tuning and muffling situation.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post

Looking at it now - of course there's a big mistake in it. The 16ths on the bass drum at the end of beat 2 and the start of beat 3 should both be 2x32nd notes. So the bass drum is always running in groups of 4 x 32nds.

Hi cfdrumr,

What is your bassdrum tuning and muffling situation.

I have a heavy feather pillow in my bass drum. It's quite a dead sound that relies on a mic to produce a short hard punch. A bit like an old Jeff Porcaro bass drum sound. I use Pearl plastic beaters and an Evans black kick patch. Heads I would guess are at medium tension.

Cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 12-04-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Thanks! I'll definitely start working on that.

I also had a question about a beat you play in Orchidia at about 2:26. I think the hat pattern is in 6/8 (with two eighths, two sixteenths and two eighths on the downbeat), but are you just doing the same 32nd note pattern that you do in Anesthetize underneath it?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 AM

Hi Gavin!

I have two questions.
First.
I was just wondering, did anyone anytime asked you to come to Croatia? I'm asking this cause I'm angry on our Croatian lazy-ass concert organizators.
Here's the story, I saw on tour list that the nearest place to see your show is Vienna.So my brother and I travelled 450 km to that concert!

Don't get it wrong, I'm not angry at you.I didn't regret it, we had a great time! :)

Second and the last question...

Which Sonor snare model did you used on "Arriving somewhere.." concert?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Bube; 12-05-2007 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi NeuroAxis,

I also had a question about a beat you play in Orchidia at about 2:26. I think the hat pattern is in 6/8 (with two eighths, two sixteenths and two eighths on the downbeat), but are you just doing the same 32nd note pattern that you do in Anesthetize underneath it?

No it's not the same thing. It's hard for me to describe without the chance to transcribe it..but..the bass drum is playing a continuous Swiss Army Triplet starting on the second 16th note. Does that make sense? The hi hat is playing a typical African 6/8 rhythm with the snare drum on beat 4 of course.

Hi Bube,

I was just wondering, did anyone anytime asked you to come to Croatia?

Sorry but no.

It's an Artist series "Black Steel" 14x5 with a Remo Emperor X on the top.

cheers
Gavin
Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Hi again Gavin. Can i ask what you are doing in this particular fill in hatesong live from the arriving somewhere DVD? Its the instrumental part with pretty much the bass and drums. You are using lots of double stoke or paradiddle snare ghost notes things , also using toms and with no bass drum. Its right after you do the thing on the floor tom when the camera has zoomed up to your hands. I guess you could say you do this thing I'm talking about 3 times and its just before Steven comes in with his first high solo note.

Do you know which part? If so, could you explain the sticking and tom positioning in the pattern please? I notice you are quite fond of these types of fills. I think its similar sounding to the FOBP fill around 5.03 mark but without the double bass drum.

Thanks,
Simon

Last edited by Pandrex; 12-07-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've been watching your DVD's constantly. I find the pair to be a supreme source of inspiration and education. I hope you make more! As I said once before in this thread, it is starting to drive my wife mad; I hope I can barrage her with some new material one of these days.

I really like the extras that you included on Rhythmic Horizons. Having the MIDI file for 19 Days makes it much easier to practice, since I am able to play it back at slower speeds without losing fidelity or changing the pitch, as would happen if changing the playback speed of a WAV file or MP3.

On that note, I was wondering if it would be possible to get the same thing (a MIDI file, that is) for the backing track you used for the chapter on Resolving. I found that chapter to exhibit some of my favorite examples of your drumming and, in my effort to learn by emulation, it would help me a great deal to have that track in MIDI.

Is that something you could share?

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited by baniels; 12-07-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No it's not the same thing. It's hard for me to describe without the chance to transcribe it..but..the bass drum is playing a continuous Swiss Army Triplet starting on the second 16th note. Does that make sense? The hi hat is playing a typical African 6/8 rhythm with the snare drum on beat 4 of course.
It does make sense; I've never tried playing a Swiss Army triplet on double kicks...interesting.

I also never realized that that particular 6/8 hat pattern was African--I remember hearing a lot of Swedish metal drummers doing it a few years back, especially Martin Lopez from Opeth.

And I know there is more than one Tomas Haake fan on here. Found this yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvQx8...eature=related
Old 12-06-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Hi Bube,

It's an Artist series "Black Steel" 14x5 with a Remo Emperor X on the top.

cheers
Gavin
And which one is on the bottom?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:32 AM

I dunno if anyone asked about this already. But can you explain the drum solo fill in Fear of a Blank Planet, or point me to a link with it written out.

Thank you.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massik Kretal View Post
I dunno if anyone asked about this already. But can you explain the drum solo fill in Fear of a Blank Planet, or point me to a link with it written out.

Thank you.
House Of Drumming has a transcription of it, which Gavin says is correct. Just scroll down a bit.

Also, Gavin:
I love how in the heavy part from Anesthetize you're playing 4 over 3 in the hands, and all of that is over the 4 of the band. Just thought I'd say that was really cool, I've been trying to learn some polyrhythms lately and I remember learning that 4 over 3 pattern between your snare and china before I even knew what a polyrhythm was.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:27 AM

Thanks man.

So Gavin is that fill something you came up with from just messing around and playing the kit and you found something cool? Or did you think about it and try to make a fill with some kind of objective in mind. Basically what was your thought process behind it and all the other incredible fills you have played?