Girlfriend sabotaged my drums - is it worth repairing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swift Asbestos

Hey I'm new around here , here's the problem --

3/4 days ago I had a brutal discussion with my girlfriend

After that she ran into my shed and she went full berserk on my stuff

She managed to mess up a lot of things and damage pretty badly a floor tom of an old drum kit I was restoring.

I have some pics -

She mess up my floor tom during the delicate procedure of "removing old
glued on wrap from your drum with maximum caution" , I have no idea how she did it 'cause the wood is teared up pretty badly.. (She propbably grabbed the drum from the wrap that wasn't attached)..

So I removed the huge splinters that were sticking out of the drum and I thought to myself :

Should I try to kinda "repair" it by smoothing out the first layer of wood to make it combine with the second layer , or should I just trash it and get a new shell ?

What do you guys think? (Besides thinking that my girlfriend is a complete psycho that knows my weaknesses)

Attachments

• 20170716_182527.jpg
    20170716_182527.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 661
  • 20170716_182501.jpg
    20170716_182501.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 647
You haven't said what drums they are.

The cost to value ratio will pretty much determine what should be done with the drums.

The drums may or not not be worth repairing, but the relationship definitely is not!!

Get rid of this psycho bitch now. Dump her crazy arse and never look back. Before it's more than a drum kit that is in need of repair.

Thank god it was wrapped!

It 'was' wrapped.... Right?

No surprises down the road in ~9 months?

What do you guys think? (Besides thinking that my girlfriend is a complete psycho that knows my weaknesses)

I think #1 thing to do is to not have this girlfriend, so I am hoping she is past tense. If not, dump her immediately. What she did is abuse ...to your drums, and to you.

#2, not sure these shells are worth it. Move on....

Let's ease up a bit on the girlfriend bashing. We don't know now what "brutal discussion" really means. I'm not saying Swift brought it himself, but we don't know he's innocent in all the heartache here (2 sides to every story/drumhead as it were). While I don't condone destruction of personal property, I also don't think we should condone or be calling his girlfriend names.

You should trash the shell. I don't think it can be saved for a re-wrap.

Or you could do some creative staining on the raw shell like I did.
Raw shells can provide for very open and resonate sounding drums.

B1-vi.jpg

B4-vi.jpg

Let's ease up a bit on the girlfriend bashing. We don't know now what "brutal discussion" really means. I'm not saying Swift brought it himself, but we don't know he's innocent in all the heartache here (2 sides to every story/drumhead as it were). While I don't condone destruction of personal property, I also don't think we should condone or be calling his girlfriend names.

Screw that! Nobody gets a second chance to break my stuff---ditch the bitch! Fix the drum!

You should trash the shell. I don't think it can be saved for a re-wrap.

Or you could do some creative staining on the raw shell like I did.
Raw shells can provide for very open and resonate sounding drums.

B1-vi.jpg

B4-vi.jpg

That looks absolutely amazing! I might have to pick your brain for a Tama Rockstar set I could do that with.

Anywho, ditch the craziness and restore the drums now that they have personal story value!

I'm afraid you've opened a can of worms here, Swift.

I agree with Lee-Bro that we should focus on the drums and drop the girlfriend comments, we can't be making judgements without knowing the details, and I think you should keep those out of this forum and discuss the situation with someone you know and trust personally.

Though I will say this: a good relationship is composed of two people who of course know each others weaknesses and who are also sensitive towards those same weaknesses. In other words, they don't go attacking each others vulnerability.

If you're a guy that restores drums and goes on drum forums, I'm guessing that drumming is a significant part of your identity.
They might just be wooden cylinders to others, but by attacking your shells, your girlfriend was actually making a personal attack on you, either consciously are unconsciously.

This is a situation I recognise.

Ask yourself if her reaction was a one-off or whether there are other repeated situations like this. Is it an anger management issue or is it a problem in the relationship? Also, have the courage to look in the mirror and reflect on yourself, that can help a lot too.

Sorry can't offer advice on the drums, I hope at least that the rest is useful.

Maybe it will be revealed that this is somehow a measured and reasonable response.

Then again, maybe he'll wake one day to find his bunny boiling on the stove and his missus propped up at a sewing machine trying to make a skinsuit out of his hide. :)

Well, I agree, it isn't our place to "trash" the girlfriend, but we have free speech on DW (least to the point Gruntersdad steps in) so people can comment how they please (no matter how ill-informed as admittedly some of my comments LOL). it's up to Swift to trash his girlfriend, if he so pleases, but I suggest, just IMHO, trashing the girl and drum-in no particular order. This reminds me of an old roommate and his live in girl friend-they fought like cats and dogs-and she was very physical too-broke his windshield of his car, pushed him off balcony and he landed on his hood and buckled it, etc. Thankfully they quit dating and both became better people-still friends to this day oddly enough.

Why would you want to keep those shells anyway considering the trauma they were involved with.

This is a big favor she did you. Look at the bright side, she's out of your life.

She is out of your life, right?

I'd burn the set and move on.

In fact I would make a ceremony out of it, thanking your Creator for revealing this person's true colors.

Just reskin it as is and hit it harder than usual.. Rat Rod Drums, the next BIG THING!

I think it may have been better served to just present the drum/wood repair issue without all of the drama of the relationship.

I have always labored under the opinion that my measured colleagues would welcome the opportunity to advance an intellectual response when presented with the challenge of a "brutal discussion".

Alas, I am not often fortunate to be correct in this regard.

Maybe play the drums as-is to remind yourself of the consequences of changing the terms of a relationship in a brutal fashion.

I know that this is not the place for relationship advice. But you don't want to be in the position of having her break a really beloved or expensive instrument. At least, i wouldn't...

Last edited:
Though girlfriends can be a bit out there sometimes, I think this is more an issue of a trollfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back