Hearing test

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
If you haven't had your daily share of depression, boy have I got a website for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fuc2HHhnA

Like the thread title says, it's a hearing test. They simply play frequencies, and you figure out your hearing range. So much fun! My hearing craps out at around 9000, with a pretty good reduction at 7000. But not 8000. That sounds loud to me lol. I can sense 9000 but can't hear it. I can't sense 10,000 at all, or anything higher. So I probably have 50% of my hearing, yay!

I got up to 15k. 16k and 17k feel like there might be something there, but I don't know if that is speaker hiss or the freq.

Still hearing up to about 18.7K (tested it in the studio at work), sensing above that. Not too bad. Need to back off the loud music, it was a lot better.

Also bear in mind playback equipment might not be up to playing up to 20K for a lot of people.

I've had mine professionally tested. I had a sudden loss due to a medical issue. I can't hear higher frequencies very well at all, and have lost a good deal of hearing in my right ear, period. Sucks for a musician!

My ex wife often thought I was ignoring her, until I recorded her voice and applied an EQ curve to simulate my hearing loss. I actually used the graph the doc gave me. It was enlightening for her, to say the least! And that didn't even take into account the perceived dissonance caused by the difference in hearing between the two ears.

I'm curious to take the online test, Larry. I'll check it out when I'm home tonight.

Dang Larry that is a freaky test. I used headphones to test each ear-my left is worse. I could 1000, 2000, then flat and nothing, then I could feel 5000, hear 6000, then flat and nothing till I around 8000 I could feel it and then I could hear 9000 then flat and couldn't hear squat. My good ear I could hear up to 5000 easily then it went flat at 6k and I couldn't hear 6000, but could barely hear 7000 and hear 8000 then I couldn't hear 9000 or anything above. Weird my "good ear" is as bad as my bad in high ranges, but my bad ear is like bimodal-I wonder how much I feel some of it too. I had it turned up all the way too so it's amazing how select the frequencies are. Fact it was freaking my wife out she was wondering WTH that high frequency sound was hee, hee, hee.

Max-out at 12,000, beyond that I hear nothing. Considering I have been drumming since age 8 and will be 52 this year, I'm content with the results.

Thanks for this, Uncle Larry.

OK, I finally had a chance to try this. Nothing at all above 5 in the right ear, and the drop off was sharp after 2000.I had to turn the sound down a bit for the left ear, as everything was louder than with my right ear. Nothing above 10 in the left. Oddly, 6000 was much louder than 5000 in the left ear.

Only had my phone on me so probly not accurate in the slightest. Sound started to go really faint at 13K and I totally lost it a 15. Not nearly as bad as I thought. I'll have to try it again with better equipment.

Only had my phone on me so probly not accurate in the slightest. Sound started to go really faint at 13K and I totally lost it a 15. Not nearly as bad as I thought. I'll have to try it again with better equipment.

Holy cow, if you can hear 13K on your phone, you are light years better off than me. lol

Tried again on the phone speaker. Got 17k and a total drop off at 18k. I need to try this at the clinic through my speakers. Maybe I can get farther if is was the sound of an 8" Saturn tom pitched up?

14k was my limit.

I always use hearing protection now, but in my younger days...

Scary stuff.
It all went quiet at 10,000 but because I was using an iPad in a car (so perhaps not an ideal environment) I lifted the iPad closer to my ear and could hear stuff until it moved from 17,000 to 18,000 at which point silence reigned.
I'm not unhappy with that, plus I've used ear protection since I started playing and even take ACS ER20 ear plugs to gigs so I'm not sure I could have done any more to protect my hearing over the years.

Back