DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Here's a transcription with it fills:
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Here's a transcription with it fills:
Thanks, I searched the thread but couldn't find anything.

Fox.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 AM

It will be great if we have the chance to get a Gavin Harrison signature snare drum! i would also like to see one day GH's signature bells! This is maybe my biggest dream! I truly adore these bells!

Gavin do you always record your parts with metronome? Have you ever written without a metronome? Also do you play live with a metronome in general or only when you play in clinic and together with video clips or pre-recorded parts?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 AM

Hey Gavin just wanted to say thanks for the superb show yesterday in Slovenia. I thought it would be the other way around but I enjoyed the first round more. It kinnda hit me right in the head that the new record is a masterpiece. But the old stuff was awesome too. I really liked the fact that you decided to play Blackest Eyes. One of my faves.

My favoutire part of the show was the middle part of Time Flies with guitar soloing. Man that part just blew me away and I got the feeling the base of the band was so strong the walls almost came down:) I hope you guys had some cold ones after the show for Steven's birthday. Thank you and all the band for the best show and I hate you for making me wanna sell all my drumming gear:) Hope to see you guys live again.

By the way what size is your bass drum? Is that 20 incher?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Yeah, what a great concert yesterday in Slovenia! I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as we did (great response from lots and lots of people attending the show). The sound and performance were just phenomenal, at the time I couldn't tell whether you guys were actually playing or just doing it on a playback... ;)))
Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi shortsman

Gavin do you always record your parts with metronome? Have you ever written without a metronome? Also do you play live with a metronome in general or only when you play in clinic and together with video clips or pre-recorded parts?

Most stuff gets recorded with a click these days. Of course I've done many sessions without one - but the 'modern' way of working is to make it with a click because most of the time I record the drums completely on my own. If you're going to record without a click it's better to have all the rhythm section play together for the best feel. We don't use a click all the time in PT - only when it's needed for a technical reason.

Hi SimSalaBim

Hey Gavin just wanted to say thanks for the superb show yesterday in Slovenia.
By the way what size is your bass drum? Is that 20 incher?

Glad you enjoyed it. The bass drum is 22" x 17"

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM

Hello sir,

I'm new to this forum and I dare say I've explored it quite a bit to see if someone else had answered a similar question to the one I currently had in mind.

However, I didn't, so here's my question... (pardon me if it's a lengthy one)

In the room where I keep my drum set, the floor is covered with this unstable, carpety material. Basically, it's not the kind of solid surface I should have installed a drum on. In that regard, whenever I use my double pedals to play 16th or 32nd notes, they always turn out sloppy, because it always sounds as if I'm simultaneously hitting my bass drum with my left and right foot. Now, I know it's not a personal coordination issue since whenever I play on some other guy's drum the notes come in precisely. Also, I tend to constantly recalibrate my pedal settings so as to see if it's a configuration problem, but I don't hear much improvement whether I loosen or tighten them differently in any manner (I use Tama's power glide Iron Cobra, so I don't question their quality). Furthermore, I've resorted to inserting a huge pillow that takes a 1/3 of the base drum surface and tightening it till it became dead-skinned. Unfortunately, I still have problems with foot coordination, so I wondering if perhaps the floor on which I play might be at fault in this case since it rocks my pedals up and down a bit whilst I play.

Maybe it's just a silly question, but, if I had to choose a new place to set up my rig, would there be a way to do that effectively without spending days just to reset every detail pertaining as to how exactly my drum was previously set up the way I felt comfortable with it?

Last edited by CheesyStranger; 11-05-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM

Mr. Harrison,

I've been a HUGE fan of yours since In Absentia came out and I first discovered you and Porcupine Tree. In fact, I've been visiting DrummerWorld.com for a long time, but only today found this forum dedicated solely to you, so I had to make an account to ask you a question!

I've been listening to The Incident ever since it came out, and like every album since In Absentia I feel like your drumming isn't just a timekeeper, but an important and integral part of the song - if I listened to drumless tracks of PT I think it would feel kind of loose, as I feel most of the songs are tied down by the brilliant rhythmical structures you create.

So with all that said, when you go into the studio to start the writing process with Steven, how do you get started? The most prominent example I can think of is Bonnie the Cat; the drum part you came up with in my opinion completely makes the song feel the way it does. Did Steven just write his part and tell you to cut loose, or was the song your idea, etc?

Thanks!
JD
Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Hi Gavin,

here is the result of the interview we did in Hamburg and where we talked about "The Incident", the tour, live-bootlegs, "Drummerworld", drum clinics, jazz, and Lewis Taylor:

http://www.hooked-on-music.de/Interv...l?band_id=3839

Maybe you'll need support by Google's (sometimes ugly) translation service, so try this one:
http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

Greetings and thanks again for the interview,
Kay
(hooked on music)
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM

G'day gavin,

Finally AUS gigs announced! too bad the melbourne one is only over 18s though. Oh well who needs an excuse to go to sydney anyway haha.

Anyway I was just wondering, ive been drumming for 10 years now and ive had 4-5 bands that have failed to get off the ground either people have moved or they just arent keen enough. So im looking to try and get some small time session work to get my drumming carrer off the ground. There are a few small studios around here and i was just wondering. How do you get your foot in the door at a studio? And how would the best way to approach this be? Im only 16 and im worried that at this age they wont take me seriously even before i play a note. How did you go about getting your first few session gigs?

Any help would be fantastic.

Hurlza
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi donv

This may have been asked already, but I noticed you play your splashes upside down. I'm curious about your reason for doing this is?

They are not splashes - they are custom cymbals that I call "Crash Bells". They don't really 'splash'.

Gavin
This is interesting. I recently read your Modern Drummer interview and they show you Custom Splashes, 7, 8, and 9", over your mounted toms being upside down, and the custom bells being to the left, over the hi-hat. But they also list your snare as a 12" which in the picture it obviously isn't so that may be the reason for misconception on my part.

It's still an interesting question though. With the bells, do you play them upside down for the same reason a china is usually played upside down? Or do you have another preference for doing it?

After reading the article and listening to your playing, you don't seem to do anything with your kit without a lot thought behind what you do. My impression is this translates to your playing because it's amazing how you nail everything you do with such a clean distinct sound. Even though you are a fairly new drummer to me, when I hear now, I know it's your playing.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Hi Gavin

Guess you´re using the arm, seen on the picture below, as a part within your chimes stand. I´ve noticed you have two differents heights for that arm, in order to place the five chimes without collide. May the arm be fixed in height or is something custom made for you?.

Thanks for your time and dedication here!

Regards
Gustavo
Attached Images

Last edited by Gus; 11-06-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi CheesyStranger

In the room where I keep my drum set, the floor is covered with this unstable, carpety material. Basically, it's not the kind of solid surface I should have installed a drum on.
Maybe it's just a silly question, but, if I had to choose a new place to set up my rig, would there be a way to do that effectively without spending days just to reset every detail pertaining as to how exactly my drum was previously set up the way I felt comfortable with it?

You could just buy a thick new carpet and set your drums up on that - then mark the carpet in case you ever have to move your kit - and then all the stands could be placed in exactly the same position.

Hi SnareSpectre

So with all that said, when you go into the studio to start the writing process with Steven, how do you get started? The most prominent example I can think of is Bonnie the Cat; the drum part you came up with in my opinion completely makes the song feel the way it does. Did Steven just write his part and tell you to cut loose, or was the song your idea, etc?

In the case of "Bonnie The Cat" it started with my demo. I had already written the drum pattern and the bass line. I presented it to the band at a writing session with all four of us. As with most of my writing I tell the guys to change the notes if they want - the bass line was only written to show Colin where I wanted the bass to play from a rhythmic point of view. Steve and Richard jammed along to myself and Colin and came up with other parts.

Hi Hurlza

How do you get your foot in the door at a studio? And how would the best way to approach this be? Im only 16 and im worried that at this age they wont take me seriously even before i play a note. How did you go about getting your first few session gigs?

A hard question that. It's not really something that you just 'walk into'. You need to meet and play with lots of other musicians and if one of them thinks you're good enough they might suggest you for a session. When I started it was really in a different time and a very different place. In my early days - sessions for drummers were really drying up because of the introduction of the Linn Drum machine. I was lucky because I could play very well with a click - so I sometimes got suggested for sessions where I would just play a hi hat over a Linn Drum bass and snare. I met a guy in a local music store and he gave me a 'try out' and it went OK. That led onto a few other sessions. It really is a word of mouth thing - your reputation is everything. Studio time is expensive - and there's lots of experienced session drummers waiting to get a job - so why would anyone bother trying out a young inexperienced guy? The fact is it takes years to really establish yourself - and when you do get a break make sure you can do the job. Playing really well to a click and being a good reader is a very good start. Having a good sound and being able to play a lot of different styles is really going to help too.

Hi donv

This is interesting. I recently read your Modern Drummer interview and they show you Custom Splashes, 7, 8, and 9", over your mounted toms being upside down, and the custom bells being to the left, over the hi-hat.
With the bells, do you play them upside down for the same reason a china is usually played upside down? Or do you have another preference for doing it? But they also list your snare as a 12" which in the picture it obviously isn't so that may be the reason for misconception on my part.

I can assure you that they aren't 'splashes' - they are custom cymbals that I've been developing with Zildjian and they are meant to be played upside down for similar reasons to china type cymbals. Yes the snare in the photo session was a 14"x5" but at the MD Fest I play a 12"x5"

Hi Gus

Guess you´re using the arm, seen on the picture below, as a part within your chimes stand. I´ve noticed you have two differents heights for that arm, in order to place the five chimes without collide. May the arm be fixed in height or is something custom made for you?.

Yes I got them to make the cymbal thread to go all the way to the bottom. That way I can have two different heights (with care consideration for the amounts of felts to put in there). Maybe if you ask them they could do that for you.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

...by the way here's a little news item

just to let you know that I will be doing a solo performance drum clinic 18th March 2010 at Mr Kyps Parkstone, Poole Dorset. Tickets are now on sale and it's a small venue so book early. Some PT songs will be played and explained along with various other music including some of the songs from the 05Ric records. There will be a Q&A session.

http://www.poolepercussion.com/category.asp

direct link is

http://www.poolepercussion.com/shop....egory&catid=17

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 PM

Hi master!!
Tomorrow will be a great day for me, i'm waiting for it by 2 years!!! can see gavin on drums AGAIN!!!
i'm really waiting for this moment, and i take with my my girlfriend...i hope that she can appreciate PT sound!This is the first time that she hear your music =)
I REALLY HOPE that i can meet you tomorrow. If i see you, i tell that i'm ItalianRicky from drummerworld forum...i hope that you can remember! See you soon!
cheers from Italy
Riccardo!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
No that was the Audix and the Shure SM91
Thanks for that. I love that sound!

Quote:
we don't need one. We're quite happy with a static mix. I have individual control of the click and a couple of other things on my personal mixer that is right next to my drums.
Which is something I would like with my own band. Thanks for this insight! I'm sorting out options for the future as I really would like to have my own control over the things I'm hearing on stage.

Quote:
All the channels are split on the stage so they go into the monitor desk and FOH.
cheers
Gavin
And thanks for that too :)

Also, thanks for the German interview. I found it an interesting read. Especially your answers about bootlegging. Also noticed that you like Michael Brecker, which sadly passed away much too early (I remember Metheny dedicating a song to him every concert in 2005 aswell as asking for help to cure Michael). Have you heard his post-humous album "Pilgrimage" with deJohnette, Pattituci, Mehldau, Metheny and Herbie? Bought the SACD a few months back and it really blew me away. I highly recommend it if you like Brecker. It's one of his finest works with some wonderful compositions and unbelievable solo's (its really hard to imagine that Michael was deadsick and recorded this between his hospitalisations and chemo's).

Btw, what do you think of jazz fusion like Chick Corea's Return to Forever? I noticed you mentioning John McLaughlin in the interview. I'm always amazed by Lenny White who sits like Zen itself on his stool. He's so calm and relaxed behind his kit. It looks like he just touches everything very light but the amount of sound and loudness he can achieve with that slight touch is just amazing.

Last edited by SantiBanks; 11-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Hi Master!
I wanna say thanks for all the energy that you guys have gived us yesterday in Padova!
Amazing concert!
Amazing band!
Yesterday evening i feel good vibrations in the concert place, and on the stage!
You and Richard was always laughing! =)
I haven't understood if steven said that today you gotta go to eat and drink some wine here in veneto!
I hope that you guys received all our love and friendship!
I haven't tried to reach the backstage, i don't like to interfere with the people that's working...
But i've obtained a pair of your sticks by the official merchandising guy, and i bought a hoddie =)
i hope to see you soon, maybe when you do the next clinic tour.
Thanks again to you all guys, with all my heart, you gived me a lot of good sensations!
My girlfriend really appreciate the concert too!
cheers from Italy
Riccardo!

ps:if you like the Italian wine...and you guys need some...gavin, mail me and i ca help you =P !!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Hi Gavin,
thanks for yours energy show in the Vienna. It was wonderful evening for all people in the Gassometer Hale. I have only one small question. I need advice. Have you any practice only on snare drum? Thanks for your answear....

Mates
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Ive found something in your playing I cant quite figure out. The ghost notes played around 7:18-7:19 of Anesthetize --I hear them alot in your playing-- are they some kind of buzz roll w/ your left hand? I cant figure out if its just a buzz roll or 32nds. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, is there any footage of you playing with brushes? Do you use them often (at home perhaps)? What Vic Firth pair would you recommend for both Jazz (Also Fusion, light stuff) and Pop? And the same with Rutes, but also, I was thinking of getting a pair of Rutes, but while they are used for light music, do they still break often in your experience?
And have you decided to make the definite switch to the Vic Grip sticks, or will you still be using normal sticks?
Alright, thanks a lot!

Fox.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Hey Gavin, is there any footage of you playing with brushes?
not perse one for Gavin but;
Is "Black Dahlia" on disc 2 of the Incident played with brushes?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm... maybe both? (overdubs) I definitely hear brushes, but some snare rolls and crash strokes seem too clear and with too much attack for brushes. Gavin will enlighten the subject :) .
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Hello,

does anyone know which cymbal Gavin uses in Normal at 5:05 till the end of the song, when he's doing the buzz rolls along with the toms.

Given the groove he plays, I think he uses the HH pedal, but it sounds so much like a ride. But maybe it's just the mix.

Thanks

BTW the gig in Milan last week was GREAT!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Hello Gavin,
first of all congratulations for the porcupine tree gig last week in bologna. The overrall sound was perfect, it was like listening the album.
My question is: are you going to do some clinic tour around the europe next year, maybe in italy like 2007?

Thank you
Old 11-10-2009, 03:38 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks

Have you heard his post-humous album "Pilgrimage" with deJohnette, Pattituci, Mehldau, Metheny and Herbie?

No I haven't heard it - but I'll check it out - thanks.

Hi ItalianRicky

I wanna say thanks for all the energy that you guys have gived us yesterday in Padova!

we had a good time but the gig almost got cancelled because the venue is about 3 weeks off being finished.

Hi kotras

I have only one small question. I need advice. Have you any practice only on snare drum?

If I've understood your question - you mean have I studied any snare drum methods? I spent a long time working with "Fred Albright's Contempory Studies For Snare Drum" book. It's very hard but really good.

Hi DrummerStan

Ive found something in your playing I cant quite figure out. The ghost notes played around 7:18-7:19 of Anesthetize --I hear them alot in your playing-- are they some kind of buzz roll w/ your left hand? I cant figure out if its just a buzz roll or 32nds.

They're 32nds play rrll and then usually the right hand goes straight back to the hi hat.

Hi Fox622003

Hey Gavin, is there any footage of you playing with brushes? Do you use them often (at home perhaps)?

I don't think there is. I don't get asked to play brushes that much - but I do enjoy using them.

What Vic Firth pair would you recommend for both Jazz (Also Fusion, light stuff) and Pop? And the same with Rutes, but also, I was thinking of getting a pair of Rutes, but while they are used for light music, do they still break often in your experience?

The Steve Gadd brushes are really nice. Rutes are good too but if you play a bit too hard they will break and splinter.

And have you decided to make the definite switch to the Vic Grip sticks, or will you still be using normal sticks?

I've been using the Vic Grip Rock model for all of this tour and I really like them. I feel like I don't have to grip so tightly and therefore not give myself too much muscle ache.

Hi Swiss Matthias

Hmmmm... maybe both? (overdubs) I definitely hear brushes, but some snare rolls and crash strokes seem too clear and with too much attack for brushes. Gavin will enlighten the subject :) .

Black Dahlia is played with brushes - and about half way through I pick up a stick in my right hand and play a ride cymbal - but continue with the brush in my left hand.

Hi nolonx

does anyone know which cymbal Gavin uses in Normal at 5:05 till the end of the song, when he's doing the buzz rolls along with the toms.

That's my 20" K ride cymbal - it's not overdubbed and all the patterns are played incorporating that ride.

Hi gymvideo

My question is: are you going to do some clinic tour around the europe next year, maybe in italy like 2007?

It's possible but I have no confirmed plans to at the moment - but I have some offers from Italy and I'm just waiting to find out my availability from the Porcupine Tree touring.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

It's possible but I have no confirmed plans to at the moment - but I have some offers from Italy and I'm just waiting to find out my availability from the Porcupine Tree touring.

cheers
Gavin
That would be fantastic! I'm a student at BIMM: (Brighton Insitute of Modern Music) http://www.bimm.co.uk/brighton/ studying a Proffesional Diploma in Drums leading on to a BA Hons in Proffesional Musicianship.

They reguarly hold Master classes/guest Lectures from various people in the Music Industry and have big names such as; Jeff Beck, Pete Thomas and Gary Moore in recently. I don't know how possible it is but I for one think it would be great if you could do a Clinic/Master Class at BIMM on said possible Clinic Tour.

Hope you're well,

Kev
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi K.Howden,

I'm not planning a UK clinic tour. Possibly the only chance to catch me in clinic for quite some time will be the one next March 18th for Poole Percussion.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
Black Dahlia is played with brushes - and about half way through I pick up a stick in my right hand and play a ride cymbal - but continue with the brush in my left hand.
Yeah, that's the most elegant way to go! Cool you're doing it this way in the studio too!

At the moment I'm working a bit on your second book, as I do from time to time. In chapter 5 (I believe) you have us play a paradiddle with the SD and the BD and do 3s, 5s and 7s with the right hand (or as I like to practice it too: with my left foot clave bell). Question: If I wanna go for the Version 2, meaning to hear everything in 3 respectively 5 or 7 - what would be the intention for that? To me it's much harder than superimposing the odd groupings over the 4/4 paradiddle so I asked myself if I should do the work to get there, or not. Should I? :)

Edit: By the way, thank you very much for those two great pieces of work, they give me so much, and the things I've mastered (pretty much the first book I think) seem to be so logical and natural to me now. I'm glad I had them signed by you once you were in Switzerland!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin, someone mentioned your right side China (a 22" I think) being cut some posts back, it caught my attention, but now I've seen it on some footage (Voodoo Fest) I've got to ask...What's with that? An experiment? Found the crack right before the show =D?
By the way, from the videos, you must had been inspired on that performance, even though I think the sound wasn't as great as on other vids from just PT venues and there were some obvious problems, I think your playing was very very tight, even more so on some of the songs than the same pieces on other venues (As if :-D).
Thanks for your insight on Rutes and Brushes by the way, I'll defintiely check out the Steve Gadd Sig. .

Fox.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Hi nolonx

That's my 20" K ride cymbal - it's not overdubbed and all the patterns are played incorporating that ride.
Gavin,

I cannot find any live footage of you playing that song. Basically you play the 16ths and the rolls with two hands and with the right you play the ride on quarter notes, am I correct?

Thanks!

I hope to see you soon in a clinic in italy :)
Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Hi SantiBanks

Have you heard his post-humous album "Pilgrimage" with deJohnette, Pattituci, Mehldau, Metheny and Herbie?
No I haven't heard it - but I'll check it out - thanks.
Great! Let me know if you liked it :)
Old 11-11-2009, 03:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Swiss Matthias,

At the moment I'm working a bit on your second book, as I do from time to time. In chapter 5 (I believe) you have us play a paradiddle with the SD and the BD and do 3s, 5s and 7s with the right hand (or as I like to practice it too: with my left foot clave bell). Question: If I wanna go for the Version 2, meaning to hear everything in 3 respectively 5 or 7 - what would be the intention for that? To me it's much harder than superimposing the odd groupings over the 4/4 paradiddle so I asked myself if I should do the work to get there, or not. Should I? :)

First of all these are meant to be exercises not rhythms you're going to play necessarily in a band situation. The whole reason to switch to feeling it all from a 3's (or 5's or 7's) perspective is the mental exercise of playing the exactly same notes as in 16ths 4/4 - but changing the way you think and perceive it. It's good for your rhythmic brain to be challenged in this way.

Hi Fox622003

Hey Gavin, someone mentioned your right side China (a 22" I think) being cut some posts back, it caught my attention, but now I've seen it on some footage (Voodoo Fest) I've got to ask...What's with that? An experiment? Found the crack right before the show =D?

Yes I cracked it and cut around the crack.

By the way, from the videos, you must had been inspired on that performance, even though I think the sound wasn't as great as on other vids from just PT venues and there were some obvious problems, I think your playing was very very tight, even more so on some of the songs than the same pieces on other venues (As if :-D).

That show was a nightmare - and I wish it wasn't all over the internet. We had a lot of technical problems.

Hi nolonx,

I cannot find any live footage of you playing that song. Basically you play the 16ths and the rolls with two hands and with the right you play the ride on quarter notes, am I correct?

Correct.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That show was a nightmare - and I wish it wasn't all over the internet. We had a lot of technical problems.
Yeah, I noticed, all of you must have wanted to hit someone really hard after that show, specially the people at the mixing table :-O .
As for inspired I just meant it must have been quite hard to keep your drumming at that level with all the distractions, John and Steven seemed quite thrown off by the situation.
But you shouldn't worry that much about the footage being around, at least it's a lot better than cell-phone-quality stuff and alright, considering.
Thanks for the answers.

Fox.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Just a little something that wanted to post here...

http://www.telegraphindia.com/109110...y_11699168.jsp

It's my interview of Gavin

Cheers!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi Swiss Matthias,
First of all these are meant to be exercises not rhythms you're going to play necessarily in a band situation. The whole reason to switch to feeling it all from a 3's (or 5's or 7's) perspective is the mental exercise of playing the exactly same notes as in 16ths 4/4 - but changing the way you think and perceive it. It's good for your rhythmic brain to be challenged in this way.
Thanks for your reply. So I'll challenge myself when I have enough practice time. As you mention, this is not stuff to play in band situations, and therefore doesn't belong to the first things I practice in my routine. Or mostly not... Since I study your stuff I often catch myself incorporating i.e. 5 note groupings in swing stuff or so though :D. On the other hand I've heard Bill Stewart do so as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 AM

Hi Gavin, just got me a ticket to the poole percussion clinic, that will be my xmas present :) Looking forward to it, Phil
Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post

It's my interview of Gavin

Cheers!
Nice interview, but the article says that In Absentia was released in 2004. Actually it was released in 2002. Deadwing, the second PT-album that Gavin played in, was released in 2005.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:31 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cantstandyourfunk

great stuff - many thanks.

Hi Swiss Matthias,

As you mention, this is not stuff to play in band situations, and therefore doesn't belong to the first things I practice in my routine. Or mostly not... Since I study your stuff I often catch myself incorporating i.e. 5 note groupings in swing stuff or so though

I think this is the benefit of studying the 'mental' exercises - you'll find more and more that some of the ideas will come creeping through subconsciously in your playing as you start to feel more comfortable getting 'out' there with your rhythmic mind. It sounds a bit abstract - but it happens to me. Having an agile mind when it comes to rhythmic concepts and polyrhythms cannot be a bad thing.

Hi Phil Brodermann

just got me a ticket to the poole percussion clinic, that will be my xmas present :) Looking forward to it, Phil

Me too - see you there.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Gavin,

I just bought your two methods. I'm looking forward to receive them.

Do you have any recommendation on any exercise to do without the kit and the pad, similar to the polyrythmic ones you explain on Horizons? I spend two hours a day on the train, it would be nice to use that time to train a bit. Pun intended ah ah :D

Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Hi, i'm Mauro..nice to meet you all.

Hi Gavin, how are you? In Rome venue I realize this microphone (SM58?)... why this position, overlook public?
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2...19a5ce0f4o.jpg

Best wishes.
Mauro Lopez
Attached Images