Derek Roddy here!

Hi Derek,

Quick but odd question:

How do you keep your hair in such good condition?!?! haha!

My hair isn't as long, but it grows much the same as yours and keeping it's a drag. So if you're bored and have a few minutes, there's an odd one for you! LOL

Thanks bro!

T

Haha that made me do a chuckle. You prob already know this, but the best thing for long hair is to not wash it that often, like once every 3-4 days tops and make sure you comb it all the way through every morning, starting very gently from the bottom. I've had many an in-depth discussion about this with girlfriends and whatnot.

Derek, the new tunes are real good, nice work!

Yeah....actually, I wrote about 95% of that stuff.
Not because I want to though.
I have an vision of what I'd like SR to sound like. Something different than all the Necro and Origin rip offs.
Fast but, open. Lots of "musical space" even though it's fast and aggressive.
I'm so tired of hearing a new metal CD come out and it's the same song 10 times in a row...just rearranged differently....with different words.

I want SR music to say something different on each track.....without words.

I remember a day of when metal records were full of dynamics and textures, interludes that connected songs.
All of that seems to be lost to "br00talness" and the "need to play fast"....not write good tunes.
There are no more peaks and valleys...no more "listening experience". Or, at least it's not common.

That said...I've found a guitarist that fits the bill very nice and he has adapted the sound very well and is writing a good bit of newer stuff.....Coming soon.

I have a full band together but I'm moving back to my home state next year and don't want to get a solid line up as of yet.
At the present time...we are just having fun playing metal. Myself and JP will continue writing music and I'm sure before we know it....will have 30 songs of crushing metal to record.

I'm in no hurry.....I want it to be right first and foremost.

Oh yes....... I wrote "IIOW" and "path of the eternal gods" on I, Monarch.

Cheers.
D.

You wrote Path to the Eternal gods? Hah, that's a great song. Funny you bring up the point of "br00talness" (lozl0r), because I've always found Eriks writing tends to go a bit like that if you get me. Sometimes it's like he's trying to test peoples tolerance haha! But he is a great composer. His stuff with M.A. in particular was so good.

I also write a large portion of songs for my bands, and I totally agree with what your saying about how metal has become like a contest for speed and heaviness, so I'm always trying to deviate from using it constantly. Makes me happy when bands bring something new to the table without being stupid.

Anyway man, well done for writing the tunes, very impressed.

T

I've just seen an Hudson sample or "teaser" of your weekend performance at the MD festival and want to tell you were awesome, outstanding performance. Two times Bravo !

Derek, nice to meet you this weekend at MD Festival, along with Jason Bittner.

You have a great sense of humor on stage. And your performance... I was left speechless, as was everyone else in the audience! You have some really solid contributions to drumming, thank you for everything.

Derek: "So when you're guitarist plays a fast rift BUMMMAAA BUMMAAB BUMMAA.. and you have a tendancy to play BLPPBLPLBPLBPLBPBLPBLP...."

Audience: (Histerical laughter)

Cheers Derek!

Derek, nice to meet you this weekend at MD Festival, along with Jason Bittner.

You have a great sense of humor on stage. And your performance... I was left speechless, as was everyone else in the audience! You have some really solid contributions to drumming, thank you for everything.

Derek: "So when you're guitarist plays a fast rift BUMMMAAA BUMMAAB BUMMAA.. and you have a tendancy to play BLPPBLPLBPLBPLBPBLPBLP...."

Audience: (Histerical laughter)

Cheers Derek!

Hahaha.......Trip. THANK YOU so much man. I had such a great time.

DUDES!!!!!!!!!!............................

Just going to make this quick as I really need some sleep.

What a great time I had. Absolutely crazy!
So humbling to be there with all those legends and heroes.

I'll post a detailed thread after I get some rest.

I felt my performance was O.K. ......There were some things (as always) that went wrong ( In ears... lodged in my right ear, wobbling riser, bad mic on my last floor tom) but, all and all......I'm pretty happy.

I'll give a more detailed report after I get some rest.

Thank you to all who came and supported.... not only me but, all the drummers there. It was a great hang and experience.

Cheers.

D.

Haha....that's too much.

Duh...I forgot about PASIC!
Oh yeah...it's on. Can't wait to get my lessons from ya! Lol.

D.

Derek, you kicked butt at the MD fest! There is no way I would ever be able to keep my feet moving like that in front of an audience. What is that super-trashy sounding china on the far left? Extremely dirty sounding, I like it.

Also, are you using two 10" toms?

Thanks man.... I really enjoyed myself. And the gang with the rest of the guys was just outstanding.

On the china.....my left or your left?
The one on my left is a 20 Byzance Rock china... in brilliant finish.
The one on your left was an 18 Byzance Rock china... in brilliant finish.

The toms are 8, 12, 10.

Cheers and thanks for coming!

D.

I'm sorry I missed out on this until now, this is some really incredible music you've put together! The shuffle in Greater Equanimity took me off guard but in the best way possible. the transitions in Initiation Rituals really ruled, the groovy feel that you pushed through parts of that song put a smile on my face. Intertwine ripped my brain apart and put it back together upside down. Signs of identity had a very different feel, cadence almost, very pushy and powerful. I don't have proper words to describe most of these songs. The Polymath sounds the most polished to me. I really dug that track, probably my favorite of the bunch, that or intertwine.

This is a very different type of sound you guys have assembled and I'm happy to say it's great.

Keep up the good work,
Ian

Thanks Ian, I can tell you listened to the tunes thoroughly.Haha.

Cheers to ya.

I'll keep you posted on new songs etc......

D.

Hey derek,

I have some questions....some of them are a bit unconventional but here i go.

Do you find it is productive to practice to albums, practice exercises, or fool around and be creative? I'm sure you do your exercises, but what would you consider a productive practice session.

you playing any clinics in the LA area anytime soon?

How did you get into a music career? Where you just doing it as a hobby,and it just boomed out of no where? or where you set on being a musician for a living? Im going through a tough-time right now deciding. Subsequently, Ive even put off going to berklee school of music. Im running into some(possible) record contract/radio play/touring opportunities with this band im in, but im not going to count my chickens before the eggs hatch. College verses running off with a band??. Everyone i know has their career planned out already(military, pilots,union jobs,doctors,etc) , all i can say is "yeah i played at the house of blues in hollywood last month, it was bad ass!" I have support around me, its just that you get that general attitude from people, like you told them that youre going to win the lottery and retire as your career plan. I have no other career aspirations besides music. I dont know if i should be worried or what.

I dont mean to sound like a drunk prattling school child, i have years worth of frustration, and trying to condense it was hard . You're leading a successful career in the same field im interested in, so i thought you might have some insight?

all the best,

mike.

Hey derek, Do you find it is productive to practice to albums, practice exercises, or fool around and be creative? I'm sure you do your exercises, but what would you consider a productive practice session.

you playing any clinics in the LA area anytime soon?

Hey Mike,
Yes, I find playing to recordings....the best way to learn all that is needed to advance as a player...... with the exception of listening skills (As playing to records never changes and playing with people..... does.) I've always said that the only way we truly get better at all aspects of playing drums.....is to play with people. I've never been one to practice exercises. In fact....I'd say that .00000000001% of my time playing.....has been practicing exercises. Exercises don't allow you to play music....playing music does.

I will be out in that area at NAMM time in January. I'm sure I'll perform there. As far as clinics....maybe in the spring time. That's what I'm planning for, at least.

How did you get into a music career? Where you just doing it as a hobby,and it just boomed out of no where? or where you set on being a musician for a living? Im going through a tough-time right now deciding. Subsequently, Ive even put off going to berklee school of music. Im running into some(possible) record contract/radio play/touring opportunities with this band im in, but im not going to count my chickens before the eggs hatch. College verses running off with a band??. Everyone i know has their career planned out already(military, pilots,union jobs,doctors,etc) , all i can say is "yeah i played at the house of blues in hollywood last month, it was bad ass!" I have support around me.

Well Mike,
I could write a book about this topic. If you're feeling frisky....you can search my forum...I have a ton of info about this there.

I'd say 100% of the time.....GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's is plenty of time to create music.
Now you asked about my career as a drummer.
First of, I'd say that........ I don't think of my drumming as a career because at this point....drumming hasn't paid a 10th of my bills. In fact, I've spent more money to play in the bands I've played in...than I made. All the bands I've been in have done nothing but, put me in debt.
Now, Not saying it wasn't fun or any of that but......IT DID NOTHING FOR MY LIFE!
You may look at the mags and stuff and see some drummers....maybe myself but, it's a case of ......"the grass is always greener".
I know a lot of dudes playing and touring in bands and if any of them tell you they are "making a decent living" they are lying or don't know what a decent living is.
Look at the price of gas right now. Tell me.....how are you going to tour when gas is 4 bucks a gallon and shows are 400 miles apart ( average) from one another? Most of these guys come home with a few hundred dollars and if you have nothing.....seems like a lot.
It's all good when you're 18-25 years old and if you're in that age range....then yes, take a year or 2 out of your life to peruse it. Just know when to wake up.....that's all.

The illusion of money being made playing music....is being made more clear by the day. Just look at records sales. Labels are now taking a percentage of touring and merch money because record sales are so low.
10 years ago...it was common to sell a million records. Now....the artist that sold that much then............ is barely selling 200,000 copies now.
The music industry is a joke and the only way to truly be happy trying to play music in this day and age.... is to do it because you love it. If it brings you some "fame" and a little "cash".....then great. Nothing happened for me until I realized this one simple fact!

its just that you get that general attitude from people, like you told them that youre going to win the lottery and retire as your career plan. I have no other career aspirations besides music. I dont know if i should be worried or what.

That's a great way to look at it as you have about 40% better chance of winning the lottery than you do of "making it" playing music. If you truly have no other aspirations....I'd be very worried. Although, I don't think that is truly the case is it Mike? You don't want to be successful at anything........but music?

You're leading a successful career in the same field im interested in, so i thought you might have some insight?

This is a case of "the grass is always greener". Successful career?
Mike, I make more at my part time job than I have ever made playing music. And while yes....I'm starting to get my ugly mug in the mags and play these high profile drum gigs.......I'd hardly say it was a "career"....... with a straight face.
Am I working on getting there.....absolutely but, I'm not relying on music or drumming to make me somebody......that's up to me.
See where I'm going?

Do something with yourself, do something, become somebody first. Music will always be there for you to enjoy. Again, music doesn't solve personal life problems...............being responsible for your life........... does.

Hope it helps and if you have anymore questions....I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheers and happy drumming!
D.

Derek, I just become a bigger and bigger fan of yours when I read your straight from the hip reality answers about your "careeer" in music and your part time job. Having someone out there like yourself can be very helpful for kids who may otherwise flounder for years thinking "they are gonna make it". While it is true one may every once in awhile we all seem to have (myself included) this grand illusion that you are sitting on top of the world looking down from your pile of money and laughing and your response seems more to me to be saying:
Go to school
Find a good career
and love music

RIGHT ON DUDE you rock now more than ever in my book!

Hey Mike,
Yes, I find playing to recordings....the best way to learn all that is needed to advance as a player...... with the exception of listening skills (As playing to records never changes and playing with people..... does.) I've always said that the only way we truly get better at all aspects of playing drums.....is to play with people. I've never been one to practice exercises. In fact....I'd say that .00000000001% of my time playing.....has been practicing exercises. Exercises don't allow you to play music....playing music does.

I will be out in that area at NAMM time in January. I'm sure I'll perform there. As far as clinics....maybe in the spring time. That's what I'm planning for, at least.

Well Mike,
I could write a book about this topic. If you're feeling frisky....you can search my forum...I have a ton of info about this there.

I'd say 100% of the time.....GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First of, I'd say that........ I don't think of my drumming as a career because at this point....drumming hasn't paid a 10th of my bills. In fact, I've spent more money to play in the bands I've played in...than I made. All the bands I've been in have done nothing but, put me in debt.
Now, Not saying it wasn't fun or any of that but......IT DID NOTHING FOR MY LIFE!
You may look at the mags and stuff and see some drummers....maybe myself but, it's a case of ......"the grass is always greener".
I know a lot of dudes playing and touring in bands and if any of them tell you they are "making a decent living" they are lying or don't know what a decent living is.
Look at the price of gas right now. Tell me.....how are you going to tour when gas is 4 bucks a gallon and shows are 400 miles apart ( average) from one another? Most of these guys come home with a few hundred dollars and if you have nothing.....seems like a lot.
It's all good when you're 18-25 years old and if you're in that age range....then yes, take a year or 2 out of your life to peruse it. Just know when to wake up.....that's all.

The illusion of money being made playing music....is being made more clear by the day. Just look at records sales. Labels are now taking a percentage of touring and merch money because record sales are so low.
10 years ago...it was common to sell a million records. Now....the artist that sold that much then............ is barely selling 200,000 copies now.
The music industry is a joke and the only way to truly be happy trying to play music in this day and age.... is to do it because you love it. If it brings you some "fame" and a little "cash".....then great. Nothing happened for me until I realized this one simple fact!

That's a great way to look at it as you have about 40% better chance of winning the lottery than you do of "making it" playing music. If you truly have no other aspirations....I'd be very worried. Although, I don't think that is truly the case is it Mike? You don't want to be successful at anything........but music?

Mike, I make more at my part time job than I have ever made playing music. And while yes....I'm starting to get my ugly mug in the mags and play these high profile drum gigs.......I'd hardly say it was a "career"....... with a straight face.
Am I working on getting there.....absolutely but, I'm not relying on music or drumming to make me somebody......that's up to me.
See where I'm going?

Do something with yourself, do something, become somebody first. Music will always be there for you to enjoy. Again, music doesn't solve personal life problems...............being responsible for your life........... does.

Hope it helps and if you have anymore questions....I'll be happy to answer them.

D.

Derek, I just become a bigger and bigger fan of yours when I read your straight from the hip reality answers about your "careeer" in music and your part time job. Having someone out there like yourself can be very helpful for kids who may otherwise flounder for years thinking "they are gonna make it". While it is true one may every once in awhile we all seem to have (myself included) this grand illusion that you are sitting on top of the world looking down from your pile of money and laughing and your response seems more to me to be saying:
Go to school
Find a good career
and love music
And then maybe then it will take you somewhere if not you still love music

Hey Mike,

Well Mike,

See where I'm going?

D.

Go to school
Find a good career
and love music

RIGHT ON DUDE you rock now more than ever in my book!

Hahaha...thanks man.
I truly believe in what I'm saying and doing. This is nothing new for me.
In fact, In the extreme metal world.....I'm not looked at as a positive example. Because I tell it like it is.....and many bands, band members etc.....don't like the fact that I do this. It is....... what it is. Why let ego get in the way of being honest about it.
I've gotten so tired of seeing my friends and very talented people I know throw their life away by going on tour and starving....not for a couple of years .....but, for 15 years!
Starting a band from the ground floor and going on tour......is just a way to escape responsibility from life.
Don't fall into that trap.

Not saying don't do it........just know when to stop.

D.

Hi, Derek! I guess you're the first voice that I should listen to as far as extreme metal drumming is concerned, so I'm just going to ask you a rather indiscreet question:
are the double bass parts of Pete Sandoval on "Opening of the Gates" by Morbid Angel and of Hellhammer on "The Chosen Legacy" sped up in the studio in your opinion? Because for me, it's hard to believe that a biologically human individual can play 32nd notes at well over 300 bpm, and that, not even with his hands, but with the feet (especially if we consider legendary mortals like yourself apparently cannot come even close to it :D)! I feel your answer on this - if it is possible and politically correct to provide one - will be as revealing as it gets.

Thanks (evil smile)!
And definitely congrats (once again) for your work! You're the real thing.

Back