Mackie Thump

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Just curious if anyone has experience using a Mackie Thump for electronic drums and percussion? I play an acoustic kit but on some gigs, I use electronics for auxiliary percussion (and sometimes drum triggers for blending samples with acoustic sounds). This would be used for onstage monitoring in larger venues as well as blending with FOH in smaller venues. I'm wondering if this might be a solid way to go or are there better options for my purposes?

Thanks!

spleen

Spleen,

I have a Mackie Thump and I use it for pretty much the same thing you are wanting to use it for. There is always something better, but I haven't had any problems at all using the monitor on stage for my acoustic mic monitoring as well as my electronic backline. Right now, I have an SPD-SX and the SPD-30 Octapad on board for my electronics, and since I have control over the monitor volume and mix, I'm good. The only thing that I have ever really had to worry about is in the big rooms with house sound, I am at the mercy of the sound engineer, and you probably know how they think "we drummers" should sound on stage. In other words, we're the last to get the right mix attention. When we do smaller rooms and bring our sound, that is when things really get cookin' on stage, and the Mackie delivers just fine!

Matchgrip

Just curious if anyone has experience using a Mackie Thump for electronic drums and percussion? I play an acoustic kit but on some gigs, I use electronics for auxiliary percussion (and sometimes drum triggers for blending samples with acoustic sounds). This would be used for onstage monitoring in larger venues as well as blending with FOH in smaller venues. I'm wondering if this might be a solid way to go or are there better options for my purposes?

Thanks!

spleen

Hi Spleen. I have the JBL EON 315. It is a similar product to the Mackie Thump. When turned up loud it is a good loud and clear PA system with plenty of bass. I assume a lot of gigging eDrummers have Mackie Thumps too.

I work at a music shop and I see a lot of those come back for repair. I think it's due to people trying to drive them too hard in DJ setups and bands trying to put the kick drum through them when they don't have a sub available. I would look for other options, maybe get some professional advice from a reputable dealer for what you are wanting to do.

Back