Evans EQ3 Yes or No

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
Do we like the Evans EQ3 batter head or do we dislike it? I was thinking of trying one.Thanks

The EQ3 is a decent head as is its PowerStroke counterpart from Remo. All in all however I prefer the EMAD head over both of these.

I'm currently using one and I really like it. Basically the same thing as a Powerstroke 4. I've been wanting to try a Superkick 2 though.

I've tried a miriad of heads over the years. Recently, I've been trying different bass drum heads. I gave the EQ3 a try. It's a nice head, but for me, it's just missing something. I think a Remo PS3 sounds a little bit better. The Remo seems to have more body and balls.

I approach my bass drum heads on a drum to drum basis. The EQ3 and the EQ1 are the best sounding heads I've put on my Tempus. The PS doesn't sound right at all. That being said, my Oak Custom sound best with a PS.

I'd say give the head a shot. They respond well to low tuning and sound full in my experience. The ONE downside to Evans BD heads is when they die they die quickly. Remos seem to have a longer "passable" period.

Thanks gang I'm putting it on a Tama Starclassic Performer 18x22in all birch kick.I just put an Onyx head on my 12in tom and it sounds great.Has anybody used them?

I'm using the EQ2 and it's (in my opinion) an amazing head. Great deep tone, really defined clear attack, almost 'clicky' using a plastic beater, but also has enough boom to it.

I approach my bass drum heads on a drum to drum basis. The EQ3 and the EQ1 are the best sounding heads I've put on my Tempus. The PS doesn't sound right at all. That being said, my Oak Custom sound best with a PS.

That's a good point that I should have clarified. The drum I am referring to is a 22x18 DW collector's X shell. The EQ3 sounds the "thinnest" when compared to a PS3 or EMAD. The EMAD sounds best on that drum in my opinion. I tried an Aquarian superkick on my Yamaha maple custom absolute kit after reading rave reviews about them and it sounded boingy, no low end balls whatsoever. The PS3 sounded best on it. Experimentation is the key I guess, it just sucks that the heads aren't cheap and if you don't like it, you're hosed.

Thanks for the input. Has anybody tried a EQ2? just wondering the difference.

I'm running an EQ2 with a PS3 reso on a 16"x20" and it's great. The two-ply gives it a little more oomph and resonance than you might normally get out of a 20".

LeadFoot, alot of guys here think the same number is automatically what you should compare to the competition. IT'S NOT. The equivalent of a PS3 is an EQ4. The EQ2 and 3 are heavier heads with I believe 2 ring layers underneath.

The EQ4 (identical to PS3 except for the film I believe) and EQ1 are the best EQ's I've used. The EQ1 is like the EQ4 and PS3 but with 2 rings, and dry vents.

I'm currently using one and I really like it. Basically the same thing as a Powerstroke 4. I've been wanting to try a Superkick 2 though.

Tried the SK2, wasn't a big fan, was told they were great so I thought I'd give it a shot. I found it very hard to hear it, to my ear while playing it was so muted. Basically I feel like I blew $70.

I ran a Clear EQ3 on my Tama Superstar kick (22x20") and it sounded great. It pretty much sounds EQ-ed right out of the box, which is certainly nice. In my opinion, it lacks the volume that the EMAD has, which is why I currently play the EMAD. I also think the EMAD has a tad more "balls" and low-end to the sound, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure you'll be happy with it if you decide to purchase it, though. Good luck!

Back