Jimmy "The Reverend" Sullivan

Re: The Reverend

ahhhh yes, I see this thread and I'm finally convinced to actually make an account and make my own post, instead of just reading posts by everyone else.

Whatever the case, I need to start by admitting I'm a bit biased because I absolutely love A7X's music. However, if the drumming wasn't tasteful, I would absolutely hate it. As a musician in a band, he fits his drumming into the song VERY well instead of trying to show off his amazing skill. Which he still does a fairly decent job of anyways. A7X's songs are very well put together, something I can only HOPE to pull off someday in the future, which is still highly unlikely. They are all very skilled at what they do.

I'm listening to a live version of "Beast and the Harlot" right now. I've seen many amazing drum solos, videos, etc (my favorite is still benny greb's montreal one :D ) yet this still impresses me. And now that I've said all this, I must admit I'm not a huge fan of songs with very random beats. I prefer my songs to be catchy, instead of trying to show off technique and losing certain parts of musicianship (imho). My 2 cents.

-Dave

Stu I don't think his snare is that engineered. I've gotten a similar sound by cranking up a Remo Renaissance head on my old yamah Power V steel snare and a RemO on top of it. Not the EXACT sound, but pretty close.

I'm not saying that Rev secretley uses Yamaha snares and RemOs, I'm just saying that that "beefy" sound can be achieved without ProTools.

I believe someone asked for the band memebers real names..

For those who asked about the members of Avenged Sevenfold's real names, I apologise in advance if someone already posted them... but here they are..
M.Shadows (Vocals) - Matthew Sanders
Synyster Gates (Lead Guitar) - Brian Haner, Jr.
Zachy Vengeance (Rhythm Guitar) - Zachary Baker
Johnny Christ (Bassist) - Johnathan Seward
The Reverend (Drums) - James Sullivan

He is definatly one of the best drummers right now and every 1 in avenged sevefold is really good...they are just an awesome band

I am not sure if anyone has replied to the "what is his name" question, but if you dont know yet, The revs name is Jimmy Sullivan.
Mike

Re: The Reverand (Avenged Sevenfold)

A7X said:
I do agree he's really good, and A7X just happens to be my favourite band. I wouldn't says hes the best, but he has awsum chops for sure; listen ot beast and the Harlout and about 3/4 through you and ull hear his fast hands and in Blinded in chains about 2:50 through he shows off a bit of the rudiments he can play with his feet.

I mainly like the Rev cause hes fills just fit so nicely into the songs, it ither compliments the guitar, bass or the vocals. The Rev also sings harmony while he plays, and doing that in A7X's songs wouldn't be easy.

He's not the best but i think one of the most tasteful, and i also believe he dosent show all his talent in his songs, he could probably bust out a crazy solo if he wanted.

Listen to it about 30 seconds into the song too. The whole thing is amazing.

Tambian, dude, though I don't particularly like this band (I really dislike M. Shadow's sense of melody - seriously, all his tunes are ripped off, and when they aren't they're just directionless), you can hardly deny that 'the rev' is a bit special.

Absolutely watertight playing, extremely fast (so what if he wasn't the first to go over 200bpm; Thomas Lang wasn't the first to use 4 way independance - does that mean he's not any good at it!!?), very creative, I'd argue, actually playing patterns on the db, instead of mindless blasting.

I still think Blake Richardson is extremely good also, but, asides from that neat carribean-sounding groove on 'Laser Speed', he doesn't stike me as displaying any obvious jazz, or latin chops, and why should he? Blending genres can be, I think, a somewhat lazy way of trying to be creative. Making a fusion of jazz, metal, african, country, folk, krautrock, celtic, electronica may be original, but would probably sound pretty crap.

It's actually harder to be creative WITHIN your genre (in this case, metal/hard rock) than to cut and paste stereotypical patterns from other genres onto your songs. If you see what I mean, I think it's better to invent a nice groove in a rock song than to borrow a pre-existing groove from a genre other than rock for use in a rock song.

avenged sevenfold

ive been listening to them lately and i really think they have got loads of talent ...they have great guitar/drum solos and well im no good at righting reviews or anything but or describing how good bands are and such so its best u listen to them instead of take my word for it.
well i think thats it

post here if u agree /disagree with me

Re: avenged sevenfold

I think they're kind of over-rated. They're definately talented, but I've heard people call thier guitarists the next vai and I laughed. They write some pretty good pop-metal songs, that are fun to sing. They're drummer has some pretty good chops, but it's metal drumming so most of it just sounds like really fast rolls, althought he does have a few cool blurta licks. They have this one song that goes into an acoustic latin jam at the end, I thought that was neat, and at the same time gimmicky. But still fun. They're alright I guess is what I've so elaborately conveyed.

No way are A7X overated! Anyway, I bought Avenged's "City Of Evil" bout month ago and it hasn't left my CD player since. The Reverend does a great job, especially on "Blinde in cahins" where he plays a fill on the snare and mimicks it on the double bass, I'm not saying that I'm amazed about what a super tecnical drummer he is cause he's not really, (but still more technically advanced than Lars Ulrich, but tha's another story), but it's a good effect and he suits A7X down to the ground. Yeah, I think Avenged are really good, I wouldn't call them Pop Metal either, it's metal, just don't know exactly what type. meh.

i think they are alright, kinda have a different sound then you hear on mtv nowadays, but their drummer def has talent, hes got some pretty nice chops. i like the sound of his drums..

I think The Rev is a very under-rated drummer. I must disagree that he is sloppy. I would like to suggest listening to the drum solo in Beast and the Harlot and listen to his rapid drumming in the song Darkness Surrounding. He ties the fast beat of the snare with the double bass very smoothly and he should be recognized by the rapid beat of his snare during their songs, especially Darkness Surrounding.

IRAKdrums said:
ya seriously johnny christ(the rev) is amzin he def should be on this site

What's his name???

You say Johnny Christ?

I have the name Tholomew Plague in my books.

Or did they change often??

Bernhard

Re: The Reverand (Avenged Sevenfold)

tambian89 said:
Anyway: I happen to think the Reverand is just another Hardcore drummer. I don't feel he has brought anything new to the genre, and I don't think he is that good at hardcore drumming. He doesn't display any knowledge of other types of drumming (like jazz). Plus I think Avenged Sevenfold is the most ridiculous band in existance (who would give themselves stage names like that?)

- Marc

This is the stupidest comment I've seen on this forum. He brings great fills with uniqueness and flare to genre not just constant buzz rolls down the line. And who says you have to know about jazz to be a good hardcore drummer. Roy Haynes is one of the best jazz players out there and i don't see him busting out 32nd note double bass beats, because he plays JAZZ not hardcore. The Rev plays whats good for the genre which most of the time doesn't have anything to do with jazz.

I wanna know where some of you guys saw A7X live, because when I saw them, The Rev didn't even bust out 15-20% of what is on the albums. He simplified all the fills and beats.

Back