Aluminum snare question.

bob2loud

Can anyone fill me in on the volume and tonal qualities of aluminum as a snare shell? I've got woodies, steel, and brass but never thought about aluminum until I saw a Pearl at a local store. Didn't get a chance to try it out though and it was gone when I went back. I was wondering how it compares to the other materials.

Ever heard one of these?

LUDWIG+SUPRAPHONIC+LM402.JPG

Yeah, the supra and acrolites are alum. little drier then brass...great sound....as they claim most recorded snare in history!!

I have a Supraphonic, and a Trick. Both aluminum, and I wouldn't part with either one of them!

I've had several 5" deep Supraphonics (sold them all). I've owned one 6.5" deep Supraphonic (still own it and use it regularly).

Aluminum is drier than brass and steel (doesn't ring as long), and it falls somewhere between the two as far as "warmth". It also doesn't quite have the crack of steel or brass when you do rimshots, but it DOES sound nice in its own way...

Go to YouTube and do a search on these drums. While you are there you may also want to listen to Drumcenternh.com video clips. Shane does a good job with the sound samples of different snares. I bought my son a new LM402TWM last spring for his birthday and it's a killer snare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWepMLBfkvM

Back