Crappy Yamaha snare strainer

bob2loud

I own a Yamaha Musashi 13" snare and it's by far my favorite. The only thing that I don't like is the stock strainer which seems really flimsy compared to the rest of the components. I love the sound and playability but I keep expecting the strainer to fall apart in mid-gig so I always keep another snare close by. Can anyone recommend a replacement that will install without major modifications?

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I'd hoped that maybe Yamaha had a heavier duty piece that would bolt on.

Its really not that hard, a little measuring and research and mounting and you will feel so much better when its done. Whats the spacing and hole configuration? maybe someone knows of one off hand that will work.

I own a Yamaha Musashi 13" snare and it's by far my favorite. The only thing that I don't like is the stock strainer which seems really flimsy compared to the rest of the components. I love the sound and playability but I keep expecting the strainer to fall apart in mid-gig so I always keep another snare close by. Can anyone recommend a replacement that will install without major modifications?

You don't need to drill any holes. Use a Dunnet strainer.

Attachments

• phpXRNEK3PM.jpg
    phpXRNEK3PM.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,208
It's definitely worth upgrading. I am a huge advocate of the Musashi snare - I owned one for six years until I got my current snare. I will say though, that the weakness is that throw. I changed mine out for a Pearl model after the original throw got damaged.

My current snare has a Dunnett R-Class, which is the throw-off pictured. It's quite good although the Trick strainer is a lot better. They use different hole patterns though (as far as I know) so it's best to stick with the Dunnett on the Musashi. Even with the cost of the upgrade, it's still a great value snare drum.

On my Musashi, I drilled out one hole (in the middle of the two for the old strainer I think) and put on a DW Delta throw. The butt plate is fine so left that alone. To even out the weight a bit , I have a groove wedge on the other side...fantastic cross sticks!

Neal

Back