Which13 inch snare would you also use as a main snare?

I use a 13x6 vlt maple snare as my main snare. Quick response, warm, gives a lot of flavor. The vlt plies promote low end and keeps the smaller size from getting dry and popcorny.

Last edited:
Pearl Omar Hakim .................................20

...I could have picked up one of these used a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I dithered and lost it.

I used a 13x5.5 Pearl brass sensitone for a main snare and I loved it. I also love my 13x5.5" Craviotto. If I had to choose between the three, I would go with the sensitone, as it was the most versatile, had the greatest tuning range, and was the greatest bang for the buck..

Even though I am a DW guy, I love Pearl snares, especially their less expensive metal shelled monsters.

Barry

What do you mean by "also use as a main snare"? I was unaware that they were made to be used solely as side snares... :O

You're right...my bad. After a 20 year return, my experiences are limited to a 14 inch and a side order of 6 x 10 popcorn. Exciting point well made...

Just did a gig with my new Gretsch Catalina 13x7. It's mahogany with die cast hoops. I put a Genera Dry batter and a hazy 300 reso on it and it kicks. I took along my Pearl brass 14 just in case the volume wasn't there but did not need it. Loved the sound. For 139. plus heads it blows me away.

There is a You Tube vid from Gear Gurus that compares 4 different 13" snares, including the Gretsch, and 2 Yamahas. You should check it out.

Just did a gig with my new Gretsch Catalina 13x7. It's mahogany with die cast hoops. I put a Genera Dry batter and a hazy 300 reso on it and it kicks. I took along my Pearl brass 14 just in case the volume wasn't there but did not need it. Loved the sound. For 139. plus heads it blows me away.

There is a You Tube vid from Gear Gurus that compares 4 different 13" snares, including the Gretsch, and 2 Yamahas. You should check it out.

Yeah, I saw that vid Bob. Pretty damn informative, well made. They all sound pretty close in tone. Was just wondering why the Gretsch's were not as expensive (not complaining here!)

Gretsch looks like a "value" purchase...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway
Pearl Omar Hakim .................................20

...I could have picked up one of these used a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I dithered and lost it.

Barry

A couple votes for these...There is one (13x5, Mahogany) locally for sale @ $200. About a year old, nice condition, new heads. Good price? Good purchase?

Big,

I've seen the Gretsch for as high as 189. and it's probably worth that. The strainer is a bit lightweight but I'm not a monster so it doesn't bother me. I got the silver sparkle which actually has an aged look (like me). My guess is that the low price is attributable to the fact that wood is not expensive and they sell enough of these to keep the costs down. I haven't found any flaws in the manufacture. If you like retro-looking snares with some crack as well as depth you can't afford not to own one. I tried the Musashi which was nice but didn't sound as good at lower tunings.

BTW, has anyone out there used a 14" aluminum snare? If so, what are the tonal qualities compare to say, brass or steel?

The 13 x 6.5 TAMA maple Artwood customs are going for less than $200. Anyone played these? Can a price that low still deliver quality????

I use The Hierophant as my main snare because it is incredibly versatile, sounds excellent, and looks terrific with the rest of my kit.

6x13, 12 ply Finnish birch shell with 15 ply Finnish birch hoopknockers, fabricated by yours truly. It can be tuned very low, well into 14" snare ranges, and can be cranked up tight too. It is sensitive and soft to play, but has one hell of a rimshot bite when played on the hoopknockers.

Attachments

• gn2.jpg
    gn2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,530
  • gn3.jpg
    gn3.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,492
  • gn1.jpg
    gn1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,512
I use The Hierophant as my main snare because it is incredibly versatile, sounds excellent, and looks terrific with the rest of my kit.

6x13, 12 ply Finnish birch shell with 15 ply Finnish birch hoopknockers, fabricated by yours truly. It can be tuned very low, well into 14" snare ranges, and can be cranked up tight too. It is sensitive and soft to play, but has one hell of a rimshot bite when played on the hoopknockers.

ooooohhhh. Probably would just stay on my display shelf, far away from the rest of the kit. Nice...I would charge museum admission...

crazy 8's thats the strangest snare I've ever seen...I like it
Nice shot with that face in the strainer...
that be you?

Hoopknockers wha?

I have (3) 13" snares that rotate around in popularity but the most popular one I have is a 5.5 x 13 Mapex Phosphor Bronze that I bought a few years ago. I use this all the time. It has a combo sound of wood and metal and projects well enough for a bluesy rock gig I do every month (unmiked)

I also have (2) 13" Pork Pie maple snares. A 5 x 13 and a 6 x 13. They can both grab low end but of course the 6 has a bit more body. Tuning and room always dictate what I use but the 6 x 13 also has an Aquarian Modern Vintage head on it for some warmer approaches.

13" snares are great to have as a main snare but there are a few issues to be aware of. The first is that if you REALLY need low end, I wouldn't go too shallow on 13". For example 3 x 13 should not be on the list. Also if you play brushes a lot - meaning traditional jazz style with a good deal of horizontal playing - you might miss the real estate. I make it happen but I've been playing brushes for a long time and I still miss the extra 1/2 inch per side. Lastly, unless you are looking for a drum that purely 'cuts' - which in my book can sacrifice body and tone, don't really crank up the 13" drums. I know there are probably a lot of players here who disagree with this and crank their smaller diameter snares up high. IMHO you are better served with a 14" drum if you are truly cranking it up. Many 5 x 14 and 6 x 14 drums can get up there in tension but still retain body. Not saying you absolutely can't tune high on a 13" drum (Steve Jordan does) but be aware of the trade off as it goes higher

I've tuned my PP 5 x 13 low in the studio and gotten a surprisingly low fat sound from it. But that's rarefied air and may not work in most live situations. It has had enough body for the sound I like in medium volume gigs tuned to medium tension. One fundraiser gig where my set was the house gig, a few different but high quality players played on it (including Gary Mallaber, original Steve Miller drummer and Mike Botts original Bread drummer). It sounded 'all that' with each player including another player who played with rods. I was the proud papa that night.

Of the drums I've seen listed in this thread up until now, illustrator X's vlt snare sounded like the best choice to me, although the Omar Hakim model would probably also be a contender.
If you could find a nice 6 x 13 walnut, that might be a good combo. All walnut drums I've heard have had that little extra low end.

There's some nice 13 inchers out there and you'll have some beaut's to pick from.

HTH

Jim

Last edited:

That's a unique looking snare for sure, but what's that gargoyle type creature featured on the strainer? The artist sure knew how to scare the crap out of anyone taking a close look, lol!

Loving those hoopknockers, never seen those before. Very cool.

.......Finnish birch hoopknockers

Aren't those illegal in the United States? :)

Crazy8s BTW: Love that snare. Has more funky character than I've seen in years. Makes me want to make one of my own.

Jim

ooooohhhh. Probably would just stay on my display shelf, far away from the rest of the kit. Nice...I would charge museum admission...

Glad you like it! :) I have had a whole lot of fun with this drum.

crazy 8's thats the strangest snare I've ever seen...I like it
Nice shot with that face in the strainer...
that be you?

Hoopknockers wha?

Thanks Spectron! I try to make drums that have a real story behind them, and I try to make them provoke some thought. Eye-catching, ear-catching and hopefully unforgettable.

The hoopknockers yield rimclicks and rimshots like that which you would get with wood hoops, but you can also hit the metal hoop too. The knockers also broaden the sweet-spot where the stick tip rests during rimclicks. They add lots of different sounds from just the one drum.

That's a unique looking snare for sure, but what's that gargoyle type creature featured on the strainer? The artist sure knew how to scare the crap out of anyone taking a close look, lol!

Loving those hoopknockers, never seen those before. Very cool.

That gargoyle creature is ME!!! :) My reflection in the chrome strainer, though rather distorted. This drum does have a powerful effect on people though I've found, and it has elicited cheers and jeers. Very polarizing, but I am glad for all of it. :)

Aren't those illegal in the United States? :)

Crazy8s BTW: Love that snare. Has more funky character than I've seen in years. Makes me want to make one of my own.

Jim

Thanks Jim! You should note that the panels with illustrations on the drum are cards from an Egyptian-styled set of Tarot cards. 6 specifically chosen cards around the perimeter, and one more card on the inside as a signature, 'The Hierophant' card.

If you do make a drum similarly, please be sure to share pics! It would make me happy as a clam to know that I inspired a brother out there to make some drums! :)

Truly,
Kevin

Here is a pic of it behind the kit. Ya'll will see what I meant by it matching somewhat...

Attachments

• ds1.jpg
    ds1.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 1,585
  • ds2.jpg
    ds2.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 1,540
Back