Why do you play drums?

Making music is one of the only things that satisfies me. Honestly, it's one of the only things that makes me truly happy. And whats the point of life other than to be happy?
That being said, drums just feel like natural course for me.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's all I've ever known. My old man is a drummer, I grew up around them.....grew up listening to them......having great drummers highlighted......being around muso's and music all the time.

For me, it was just a natural progression. We don't see eye to eye on a hell of a lot, my old man and me.......but I'm thankful for the fact that we've always found common ground in our chosen instrument.

It's all I've ever known. My old man is a drummer, I grew up around them.....grew up listening to them......having great drummers highlighted......being around muso's and music all the time.

For me, it was just a natural progression. We don't see eye to eye on a hell of a lot, my old man and me.......but I'm thankful for the fact that we've always found common ground in our chosen instrument.
You know, that's really cool.

Why do you play drums?

For me it's part of a trio.

"To Fly, Drum, Travel is to live.
Everything else is just waiting."

Very cool, indeed. My dad plays the guitar and sings. After forgetting about the drums for many, many years, I got back into it around the time my dad retired and started jamming with his buddies. Now we all jam together, have been for a couple years now. Hopefully my kids can join in the fun and carry on the tradition. Beats the hell outta playing catch on the lawn. ;)

I started playing to be like my older brother Dan, who to me as a kid was the coolest cat around. When we were little tikes we would go in his bedroom and watch him play, and he would do this 12 bar blues called "I Am Elvis". I only remember the first verse, which went:

"I am Elvis
and I am cool
and I ain't gonna be a
g__ ____ fool"

He would make up a few more verses, and then kick us out of his room. My first two kits were hand-me-downs of his. Wish I had them still, they were both nice old Luddys.

Interesting question. I've wanted to play drums ever since I can remember. While I don't have a defining moment, I do remember going to parades and getting chills from the drumlines, and then being very annoyed when the rest of the band started playing.

I play a little guitar also, but it's not the same. The urge(for lack of a better term) to drum is always there and really always has been. You'd think I'd be better.

Drumming makes me feel alive, there is nothing else to it. Most people go through life without a passion and God I'm so pleased I found mine.

being a basement drummer for the last 10 years playing along the records , i always wanted to play differently to what we hear in records....just for my own enjoyment...no audience!... all self taught.. ...always looking for songs with rim shots where i can play the solid snare beats all the time.

I play drums because I know now that's what I'm supposed to do. I finally found a hobby that I love. I love practicing and learning also. My kids love playing with me also.

For years I jumped from hobby to hobby, be it video games or car stereos or sports or bodybuilding. None of them ever really stuck because I always felt like I had nothing better to do at the time.

Now with a wife and five kids I look at the time that I have invested in hobbies that have pushed me away from my family and think what a waste. I have done a lot of growing up in the last year and I realize that music is bringing my family closer and bringing me closer to my children.

I can't do anything about the years that I wasted in front of a T.V. in my basement playing XBOX while my family grew upstairs without me, but I can make sure that they are a part of what I do from now on. Just the next phase in the process called growing up.

The feeling that I'm experiencing when I play drums can never be replace by your most satisfying sex ever.

--Playing drums is better than listening to your favorite song.--

A couple of years ago, on Halloween to be exact, I was at a friend's house and he has a small studio in his basement. After many adult beverages he agreed to play his guitar for us. When I saw his kit I just couldn't resist just started playing along with him. After that night I started thinking "Was that as much fun as I think it was, or was I just a little tipsy?" From then on, every time I went to his house I'd go down to the studio and fool around on those drums and as it turns out, it actually WAS as much fun as I remember and getting progressively more so all the time. I played piano for a few years but there is no comparison. I only wish I'd discovered this instrument sooner because it is such a perfect choice for me emotionally, physically and musically.

Compared to say golf, which gets more frustrating the better you play, drumming is fun straight out of the box. First you realise just how hard it is and you admire other drummers. Then you get better and still cannot do stuff at speed but you can admire a lot more about your fav drummers. You can play along to most tracks and really get a thrill from nailing certain passages. Even if you haven't.

Then you get even better and your interest doesn't diminish because you can do even more and thrill others with your skill. So you get reinforced and you just keep going.

Actually I'm a bassist and when our drummer said he was off I couldn't bare to play with any other drummer cos he was soooo good. So I thought what should I do? Well I decided to pick up the sticks AND hopefully other bassists say - yeah I love to play with Davo!!!!!

Davo

Just fascinated by snares and the sound they made since 8 years old. Other kids playing marbles after school, I would go to the local music store and just stare at the drums. Good question, when I think about it, it's NOT playing that's never been an option.

The feeling that I'm experiencing when I play drums can never be replace by your most satisfying sex ever.

--Playing drums is better than listening to your favorite song.--

You should know the girl i know then, wow she is so good.

I got into music very early on, knew I wanted to be a musician, but no idea what to play. I started on trumpet, but was told I "didn't have the lips". I moved to sax, was pretty fair in that (enough to do All-State for three years anyways), but noticed that as New Wave and metal took over the radio in the 80's ... there was no sax in most of that. (Pink Floyd, you lied to me!)

My best friend got a guitar, so I got a bass. Got pretty good at that too. But we could not find anyone who was a competent drummer. I began to get curious about the drums until I finally sat down at a drumset for the first time with some other musicians in the room. I played along to them in a jam for nearly ten minutes, and that was that.

While I still occasionally play the bass, the drums have been my thing for going on 25 years now... and I'm looking forward to the next 25... and the 25 after that!

Back