Thoughts On A Joey Jordison Snare?

MacMac

well im looking at a joey jordison snare as i like the look =D

The Sound IM Looking For Is:

Pitch- Low-Mid-High Depending (I Like To Change Every So Often So A Good Low-High Range Is Ideal But Not TOO Low Of course Considering its 13" or so.)

Resonance - Dont Like TOO Much Ring but a bit is alright i guess

Heads id be using: remo ebony suede on Top And A Hazy Amb On Bottom

I've Heard From Other Posts That Its Very Powerfull And Loud I LIKE THAT!

Thanks, MAC

From the snares I've played, I can tell you that if you're not absolutely sure you can put up with the ring from the JJ, you're not going to LOVE it.

Steel snares are extremely high pitched and have a lot of ring to begin with, and that's with a standard 14" diameter. Take away an inch from that, and your ears are going to hate you. The Jordison signature seems to be directed at a younger group of buyers, who end up plastering their whole kit with moon gel anyway.

My opinion on this is that any snare can be for anyone, but it has to BE for you.

13x6.5/ happens to be my favourite snare size, and for good reason; with a wood shell, the tone is a bit higher pitched, and the extra depth gives a bit more body to rim shots.

From what I can conclude from your desired specs is that you would be very well off with a 13x7 Ludwig Black Magic. Black nickel plated shell and hardware, brass shell, die cast hoops, and long tube lugs.

Brass, when sized 13x7, is extremely versatile. You can tune it up OR down, because of the extra depth, and your rim shots will give a huge crack.

About the look of the Black Magic, it has a very cool, classy look to it; this is the kind of snare you won't "grow out of", which I think you will with the Joey Jordison.

There's my $0.02, maybe it'll help :)

My humble opinion on the snare is that the sound is decent but you can get the same ring from a snare that is probably around half the price.

Now the snare is decent it provides a good sound for a drummer that likes to play music with that more metal feel and technique.

With that said though I am not a fan of the snare. And I see the price point as a little too steep for the quality you receive.

Once again only my opinion but if you take this as advice pass the snare up because you can find better quality for a lower price.

It's loud, It rings, and it can only be tuned one way and still sound good IMO and that's VERY high. Great for metal. I wouldn't give it up, but i would like a more versatile snare.

I played one for a week or so, and compared to what was on the kit before (a 13" Rhythm Traveler snare) it was great, but then, I am a fan of high-pitched, poppy snares.

The other posters are correct, it's best tuned high, and most of what you are paying for is the name attached to the snare. You will likely be served better by a deep 13" brass or maple snare. If budget is an issue, you might look at PDP, Pork Pie or ddrum.

I own one and do like it's sound, but if I was in the market for to buy a new snare, I would definitely look for something alot more versatile.

As has been said before me, this snare only really works with one tuning - VERY HIGH pitched, I mean reeeally high - higher than alot snares will go without choking.

Tuned low it sounds like you're hitting a piece of tin - no tone what-so-ever.

Tuned around Medium tension it starts to work a bit better, but it's not it's selling point by far.

High - it's got a great pop to it, ear-piercing rim shot, and cuts through the mix like a knife to butter, but it rings out for abooout a century (which is the only thing that I can fault it for) So all in all, I would say highly tuned is where it shines.

I use my Joey for all my live shows because it is a knife through the mix which is exactly what my band's sound needs in a snare (Alternative/Punk).

It is quite a nice snare but if you're looking for something versatile, this is not the snare for you.

Thanks All I will Have To Try One Out...=)

From the snares I've played, I can tell you that if you're not absolutely sure you can put up with the ring from the JJ, you're not going to LOVE it.

Steel snares are extremely high pitched and have a lot of ring to begin with, and that's with a standard 14" diameter. Take away an inch from that, and your ears are going to hate you. The Jordison signature seems to be directed at a younger group of buyers, who end up plastering their whole kit with moon gel anyway.

My opinion on this is that any snare can be for anyone, but it has to BE for you.

13x6.5/ happens to be my favourite snare size, and for good reason; with a wood shell, the tone is a bit higher pitched, and the extra depth gives a bit more body to rim shots.

From what I can conclude from your desired specs is that you would be very well off with a 13x7 Ludwig Black Magic. Black nickel plated shell and hardware, brass shell, die cast hoops, and long tube lugs.

Brass, when sized 13x7, is extremely versatile. You can tune it up OR down, because of the extra depth, and your rim shots will give a huge crack.

About the look of the Black Magic, it has a very cool, classy look to it; this is the kind of snare you won't "grow out of", which I think you will with the Joey Jordison.

There's my $0.02, maybe it'll help :)

Hey Just Had A Look And The Price Is WAY More Then I Could Afford It Looks A Good Snare But Its Very Expensive

EDIT: Just Looked At The Post Again And I Was Looking At The Black BEAUTY Not The Black MAGIC Sorry will Look!

Look into it if youre into really high pitched snares (as i am haha)

the steel will give it a bright, sharp and somewhat ringy tone (but this could be eliminated with moongel or rings). It should have some depth and body to it due to the 6.5".

like others have said, i dont think it would be great tuned low, might sound sloshy and muddy.

Tuned right, this snare would be sick though!

Tama Metalworks 13" x 6.5"... cheaper and when i went to try between the JJ and this snare i bought the TAMA like a shot......... i have more than one snare, so i would say maybe its not the most versatile but if you are after high end punch, this snare will do the job nicely..

Back