New to recording - couple of questions

EricJ

In addition to being new to this forum, I am also new to recording. Been reading a lot and much of what I have read was on this forum too.

So, I have purchased the following...
Scarlett 18i20 interface
Audix D6 for the kick, B2 and B4 for the toms.
Audix i5 (snare). This came with the others above. I will eventually get the Shure SM57 and will move the i5 underneath the snare.
MXL 993's for above.

My question now is about software. The stuff above set me back a bit. I do not have hundreds to spend here. Guitar center recommended the intro version of Presonus Studio One which is about $100. anyone have experience with this? Will this software (or any other) allow me to run my favorite song thru, play and record along with it AND then remove the original drum track from the pre-recorded song so that the only drums you will hear are mine? Any software comments and recommendations are welcomed because all I know is what I have been reading.

Thank you !

There is no software that will remove existing tracks in a mixed song. You can however get track minus the drums and then record the drums.

There are many options on the daw software side, all have pro and cons and all will do the job just fine.

Audacity is free, might be a good place to start

What is your recording box? Mac? PC?

If Mac I would fart around with GarageBand to get started and figure your drum tones out....if PC, do a search for "Reaper"...that is a pro daw platform for $60 with a very lenient eval period; great platform, resource use is low, constantly updated. Easy to use

Welcome to the forum.
My question now is about software. The stuff above set me back a bit. I do not have hundreds to spend here. Guitar center recommended the intro version of Presonus Studio One which is about $100. anyone have experience with this? Will this software (or any other) allow me to run my favorite song thru, play and record along with it AND then remove the original drum track from the pre-recorded song so that the only drums you will hear are mine? Any software comments and recommendations are welcomed because all I know is what I have been reading.

Thank you !
Presonus Studio One is an excellent audio software. I don't have first hand experience but this is what I've been reading about it. It's a steal for what you get. If you get the Pro version most likely you won't have to upgrade to any other software for many years to come (except adding plugins).

Unfortunately there is no software on this planet that can remove the drums - or a particular instrument - from a recording in the same clean way as muting the respective tracks on a mixing desk having all the tracks at your disposal. And that's not the fault of the audio software, that's just the way it is.

I think there are a few plugins that do a good job of removing certain audio signatures from a mixed stereo track but the processing will be detrimental to the remaining audio signal so you'll definitely hear a difference when you put on your own drum tracks.

To record your own drums to an existing song, ideally you'd need to get the drumless versions. Please do a search and you'll find some existing threads stating some sources where drumless tracks are available.

Sorry..brain fart. 2 GB

Ok....that's more like it. Take a look at Reaper...it has a very small memory footprint. It is a full pro daw....and I have no association with them or anything like that. I bought it for $60 also and use it in my PC.

I use cubase on my Mac with a steinberg mrx816

Ok....that's more like it. Take a look at Reaper...it has a very small memory footprint. It is a full pro daw....and I have no association with them or anything like that. I bought it for $60 also and use it in my PC.

I use cubase on my Mac with a steinberg mrx816

ok i will look into that one thank you

Another vote for Reaper here, for your needs and rig configuration. Cost effective, small footprint. No hassle piece of software. You will like it.

Look up "Jammit" for drumless tracks. $2-$5 each. The PC version gave me fits and I still need to sort it out though. But you can use each song on up three devices and it works on iPads / iPods / Macs, too.

Back